News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • 1000003: Manually install the latest Microsoft root certs

Home Forums Knowledge Base 1000003: Manually install the latest Microsoft root certs

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  EP 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

AKB1000003: Manually install the latest Microsoft root certs

By VulturEMaN

Published 4 Feb 2017 rev 1.0

1. Download http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/rootsupd.exe and save in c:\temp\

2. Extract the files using the command c:\temp\rootsupd.exe /c /t:C:\temp\extroot

3. from an elevated prompt run the following commands in this order:

cd C:\temp\extroot\

updroots.exe authroots.sst

updroots.exe updroots.sst

updroots.exe -l roots.sst

updroots.exe -d delroots.sst

• #123850 Reply

anonymous

The link in step 1 does not work. It comes back with a 404 File or directory not found error: “The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.” What is the correct links? Thanks.

• #123868 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

I will post when I have an answer.

• #123884 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

The link is now valid.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #123889 Reply

anonymous

Thank you very much!

• #123892 Reply

Kirsty
          Da Boss

Sadly, the hyperlinking change didn’t affect the 404 page not found error when trying to access rootsupd.exe. Even checking on search engines didn’t find a link that is currently working.

• #123894 Reply

satrow
            AskWoody MVP

It works fine for me, try refreshing the page with Ctrl held down and then try again?

• #123897 Reply

Kirsty
              Da Boss

No, that isn’t helping either… is there any chance it could be geo-blocked or some other oddity?

• #123906 Reply

satrow
              AskWoody MVP

Not if you’re getting a 404, I don’t think, doesn’t read like a routing issue either, strange. The URL doesn’t have any odd chars, spaces or anything?

Try a middle-click or right-click > open in new tab… ?

EDIT: it’s Shift + Refresh/Reload, sorry = forced refresh (reloads all the data for the page, instead of a normal refresh which would only reload the changed data, the rest it would load from disk cache).

• #123913 Reply

Kirsty
              Da Boss

Thanks, but giving it a bit of time let it “heal itself” without anything else needed – it’s working fine now. Just one of those things, I guess 😉

• #123907 Reply

PKCano
            Da Boss

I’m using Firefox 54.0.1 with AdBloc Plus, Disconnect and NoScript on a Mac, and it works OK for me. Maybe clean the cache and try again?

• #146050 Reply

Rydan
      AskWoody Lounger

As rootsupd.exe was deprecated in favor of WU auto update and Enterprise CA…
      You could get the trusted and untrusted sst files and import those.
      (there are different options)

Below I assume you have a C:\Temp (or make a location of your choice)

Open a command Prompt; Run as Administrator
      untrusted:
      Run: certutil -syncwithwu  c:\Temp
      It should say something like: added xxx files, updated xxx files / certutil completed successfully
      Check to see if disallowedcert.sst is created
      trusted:
      Run: certutil -generateSSTFromWU c:\Temp\authroot.sst
      It should say something like: updates sst file / certutil completed successfully
      (try again on memory error = uncommon)

make 2 powershell scripts:
      1. discert.ps1
      [reflection.assembly]::LoadWithPartialName(“System.Security”)
      $certs = new-object system.security.cryptography.x509certificates.x509certificate2collection
      $certs.import(“c:\temp\authroot.sst”)
      $store = new-object system.security.cryptography.X509Certificates.X509Store -argumentlist “AuthRoot”, LocalMachine
      $store.Open([System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.OpenFlags]”ReadWrite”)
      $store.AddRange($certs)
      2. authcert.ps1
      [reflection.assembly]::LoadWithPartialName(“System.Security”)
      $certs = new-object system.security.cryptography.x509certificates.x509certificate2collection
      $certs.import(“c:\temp\disallowedcert.sst”)
      $store = new-object system.security.cryptography.X509Certificates.X509Store -argumentlist “Disallowed”, LocalMachine
      $store.Open([System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.OpenFlags]”ReadWrite”)
      $store.AddRange($certs)

place those 2 scripts in C:\Temp
      Open a powershell command prompt as administrator (or start powershell in same prompt)
      Run: .\discert.ps1
      Run: .\authcert.ps1

Check:
      Open MMC.exe
      Click ctrl+M
      Add the Certificates mmc and select Computer account
      Check if the changes that Microsoft provided are added to the Untrusted Certificates folder, Third Party Root Certificates Authorities folder
      List:
      https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/31680.microsoft-trusted-root-certificate-program-updates.aspx

Ref.
      https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/31634.microsoft-trusted-root-certificate-program-participants.aspx
      https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/33315.microsoft-trusted-root-certificate-program-portal.aspx
      https://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn265983.aspx
      https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/vishalagarwal/2009/08/13/adding-certificates-for-a-serialized-store-sst-file-to-an-actual-physical-store/

• #829250 Reply

owdrtn
      AskWoody Lounger

As rootsupd.exe was deprecated in favor of WU auto update and Enterprise CA…
      You could get the trusted and untrusted sst files and import those.
      (there are different options)

Awesome find @rydan.. works flawless, thanks !
      Where have you found your way to the shell scripting of this ? I couldn’t find anything on that matter from the provided online docu.

Thumbs up !!

• #839039 Reply

access-mdb
      AskWoody MVP

As this thread was started in July 2017, how relevant is it now?

• #847155 Reply

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

only owdrtn may answer that question

the rootsupd.exe link from MS is now dead – always produce a 404 error message; I’ll get an archived version of the link from archive.org/web

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: 1000003: Manually install the latest Microsoft root certs

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel