News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • 1903 chkdsk looks different

Posted on CADesertRat Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  CADesertRat 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

After upgrading 1809 to 1903 (W10 Prox64) I noticed that chkdsk /f looks different when it runs as compared to the “Age Old” interface it used to have.

1903-chkdsk
      Evidently MS has decided to change it up a bit. I assume that it works just as well.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
      4 Win 10 Pro all 1903 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

Attachments:
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2110428 Reply

Bundaburra
      AskWoody Plus

Are you confusing the “run on restart” chkdsk with the one which can run from the command prompt?  If you run chkdsk on a disk which is a system disk or has a pagefile on it, you will get a prompt saying it cannot run now, do you want to run it at the next restart?  Your example looks like that one.  On the other hand, if you run chkdsk on some other disk, it may run immediately, and in that case the output looks quite different.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1909

• #2110434 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

I run it the same way I’ve been running it forever on any windows OS. I run cmd as Administrator, type in chkdsk /f and get the response for Y/N and press Y and enter and it runs on restart. Every computer in the house that I updated to 1903 shows the same as the image that I posted above. It’s different than the other wording for chkdsk in the past. In the past it just showed the percentage until it got to 100%. Even the winnint in event viewer looks a bit different than it used to in the report.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
      4 Win 10 Pro all 1903 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: 1903 chkdsk looks different

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.