News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • 1903 Update Failed: 1903 Tried to Change USB Port Designations

Posted on Xenafan Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1903 – May 2019 Update 1903 Update Failed: 1903 Tried to Change USB Port Designations

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  cyberSAR 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Xenafan
      AskWoody Plus

I downloaded 1903 update from the Microsoft download site, Sunday, June 9th, and started the install.  It finished by telling me that Windows could not be updated because it was trying to change the USB port designations (G: to H: for example).  I was told that I would have to wait until I could update from the system Windows Update in Windows 10.

• #1832866 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

That’s a known issue with v1903. It won’t install if there is an SD card or USB drive attached to the computer. That includes install media as well.

• #1832950 Reply

cyberSAR
      AskWoody Plus

At the first reboot remove the usb drive and it should continue.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: 1903 Update Failed: 1903 Tried to Change USB Port Designations

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel