• 2 Desktops & Windows request for more info

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 7 » Questions: Windows 7 » 2 Desktops & Windows request for more info

Author
    Topic

At some point in the past my computer inexplicably created 2 different desktops. Maybe i did it without knowing what i did?? They even have 2 different IP addy’s

What should i do? Simply delete the smaller one?

Also can i trust to send MS this request for more info to solve my “26 problems”?

An additional issue i’m having is sometimes my efforts to delete some files are blocked; it says i need higher permissions but i’m in Administrator mode at the time. What gives?
    For instance i’ve tried to delete Mahjong game but simply can’t…

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

It looks like you are connected both via wifi and via an Ethernet cable. It looks like the Ethernet cable is plugged into the switch, and the wifi connection is on the modem itself. If this is true, then that is why you have two desktops showing in the diagram.

It appears that your modem is actually a modem/router combo unit. Is there a reason you have plugged a switch into the modem/router combo unit? Did you do this in order to create more network ports?

There’s no harm in plugging a switch into the modem/router, but it does complicate things a little bit.

As for the request for more information, there won’t be any harm in sending the information; but neither is there any benefit to you personally in sending the information.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 10 running on a separate hard drive
      1 user thanked author for this post.

but neither is there any benefit to you personally in sending the information.

I’ve had hotfixes pushed via Reliability Monitor/reports, as have others; I haven’t heard MS have stopped doing that.

I’m just using the ATT Uverse modem, no router at all. My wi-fi is just a card with an antenna plugged into the MB.

Send the info, keep checking Reliability Reports/history over the next week or two, they might find some fixes.

Don’t delete anything, investigate thoroughly (address of both Desktops, etc.) and report back before making any call.

Always uninstall 3rd party software, never delete.

2 users thanked author for this post.

“For instance i’ve tried to delete Mahjong game but simply can’t… ”
      Is this the location that you are trying to delete from: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\ ?
      If so, right-click on the folder (Mahjong), and click on Security. Note that permissions are VERY limited. How to remove this?

Below is what I have defined on my Windows 7 system. As an Administrator, just check the games that you DO want.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: 2 Desktops & Windows request for more info

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: