Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • 2000012: Neutralize Telemetry & Sustain Win 7, 8.1 Monthly Rollup Model

Posted on abbodi86 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Knowledge Base 2000012: Neutralize Telemetry & Sustain Win 7, 8.1 Monthly Rollup Model

This topic contains 0 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  abbodi86 1 day, 2 hours ago.

• Author

abbodi86
      AskWoody MVP

AKB 2000012: How To Neutralize Telemetry and Sustain Windows 7 and 8.1 Monthly Rollup Model

by @abbodi86

Published September 24, 2018 | rev 1.0

# Background #

Microsoft had backported two main parts of Windows 10 Telemetry system to Windows 7 and 8.1

1) Unified Telemetry Client

– introduced in updates KB3068708/KB3080149, and became part of the Monthly Rollup since October 2016 preview rollup

– represented by the Diagnostics Tracking Service (DiagTrack) and the event trace session (AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener)

– handle the diagnosis tracking and logging, and the online telemetry reporting endpoints

2) Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser

– introduced in KB2952664/KB2976978, and now become part of the Monthly Rollup staring September 2018 preview rollup

– represented by the “Application Experience” schedule tasks (Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser, ProgramDataUpdater, AitAgent)

– the actual telemetry controller and runner, handles the compatibility evaluation and collecting, and device inventory

# Neutralization #

Despite the infamous reputation and some exaggeration, these Telemetry components in Windows 7/8.1 updates are not deeply implemented into OS and can be easily disabled or eliminated
      this can be done officially with few manual steps, or a simple batch script (with exra little-aggressive setings)

1) W10Tel.cmd

– copy or download the contents from this paste bin, and save as .cmd file
      https://pastebin.com/zeJFe08G

– execute it after installing the Monthly Rollup and rebooting
      you only need to run it once, and to be safe, once after each new rollup installation

– you can also use Task Scheduler to run the script with each system startup, e.g.
      copy the script to C:\Windows directory
      open command prompt as administrator, and execute:
      SCHTASKS /Create /F /RU "SYSTEM" /RL HIGHEST /SC ONSTART /TN W10Telemetry /TR "cmd /c %windir%\W10Tel.cmd"

2) Manual:

the demonstration is done on Windows 7, same steps applies for Windows 8.1 too

– DiagTrack service

open Services from Task Manager
      or from Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

find Diagnostics Tracking Service, right-click and select Properties
      change Startup type to Disabled, then click on Stop button

– WMI AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener

right-click on Computer icon and select Manage (This PC in Windows 8.1)
      or from Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management

expand to the node Performance > Data Collector Sets

from Event Trace Sessions, right-click on AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener or Diagtrack-Listener and Stop it (you may also delete it afterwards)

from Startup Event Trace Sessions, right-click on AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener and select Properties, then clear Enabled check from Trace Session tab (you may also delete it afterwards)

you can also disable AITEventLog and SQMLogger too (those are already exist in the system, not added by updates)

null

– Compatibility Appraiser tasks

launch Task Scheduler from Start Menu
      or from Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler

goto Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience
      disable all tasks (you may also delete them too)

do the same with tasks in Customer Experience Improvement Program

# Closure #

Deleting schedule tasks or WMI logger is totally safe, and just to avoid being re-enabled unexpectedly
      they don’t affect the OS functions in any way

Except the show stopper bugs and errors, Monthly Rollup does not need to be avoided for the sake of telemetry hustle

Total of 24 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
    • #219315 Reply

anonymous

Thank you @abbodi86 , for collecting these ideas together at the top of a new topic. I think this option fits my needs better than group hopping. My needs may be different than others. It is good to have alternative methods described so well.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #219320 Reply

OldBiddy
      AskWoody Lounger

Egads this is too advanced for the likes of me. I’ll just have to consider going back to Group B or just accept the tracking. Rats!

• #219332 Reply

Microfix
      AskWoody MVP

@abbodi86, Nice post! NEEDS TO BE AN AKB 😉
      I have a couple of questions..
      1. Regarding switches: /d 1 /f do these switches signify:
      /d=decimal     1=numerical value (1=on 0=off)    /f= force (Thanks PKCano)

2. Having run the cmd
      sc stop Diagtrack then sc delete Diagtrack
      wouldn’t most of the pastebin script be redundant in that case? then I could manually adapt to suit the systems.

| W8.1 Pro x64 | Linux x64 Hybrids | W7 Pro x64 O/L | XP Pro O/L
        No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #219491 Reply

abbodi86
        AskWoody MVP

Yes, 0 and 1 are mostly the binary translation of ON and OFF

i never use or recommend sc delete Diagtrack
        disabling the service is perfectly enough

and WMI Autologger and Compatibility Appraiser can still function without it

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #219522 Reply

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Had these done anyway for W7/ W8.1, just better to check against the script for anything I may have missed. IIRC I done most of these via Task Scheduler, cmd prompt and registry edits (exported before deletion where applicable) over a year ago. Just a different method of what I’d already done 🙂 All good!
          Script is now on standby for October 2018 patches onward for re-introduction in SQMR updates. sigh.

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
    • #219353 Reply

fernlady
      AskWoody Lounger

Egads this is too advanced for the likes of me. I’ll just have to consider going back to Group B or just accept the tracking. Rats!

Don’t feel bad, its waay over my head also!

Windows 7 Home x64 AMD Group A
      Realtek PCLe GBE Family Controller

• #219401 Reply

OldBiddy
        AskWoody Lounger

Thank you, @fernlady. Maybe it’s time for me to just move on to a Chromebook or MacBook at this point. Although Google’s snooping may be worse than MS’s.

• #219503 Reply

Noel Carboni
      AskWoody MVP

Nice script.

Only thing is that I tend more to disable jobs than delete them, though the point could be made that deleting a job does make it more difficult for the software to re-enable.

-Noel

• #219523 Reply

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

There is exactly that scenario Noel (I’m covering all bases), from my POV the Diagtrack service was removed to make it more difficult for MS to re-introduce (unless a SFC repair is done). One has to wonder whether the Diagtrack service will be introduced into SQMR patches as well as kb3068708/ kb3080149?

• #219547 Reply

Noel Carboni
          AskWoody MVP

For what it’s worth, this script doesn’t break serviceability as checked by SFC, so I wouldn’t think an SFC /SCANNOW would change anything back. DISM on the other hand, I don’t know.

ScreenGrab_W10VM_2018_09_25_092551

-Noel

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
        • #219561 Reply

abbodi86
          AskWoody MVP

Diagtrack is part of SMQR since October 2016

• #219565 Reply

Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

You are correct abbodi86. One observation I have found is, that having removed Diagtrack completely a few months ago, I check after every monthly SQMR patch installation and have found no evidence that it returns on two different computers (both W8.1)

• #219557 Reply

Noel Carboni
      AskWoody MVP

@abbodi86, have you done performance testing to determine if not logging events gives back any machine performance?

Long ago I had done all of what you described, except disabling the AutoLogger-Diagtrck-Listener trace logging. I can’t imagine it will do THAT much for performance, but hey, every little bit helps. I’ll report back after I get another run of nightly jobs tonight and can compare the times.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge here!

-Noel

• #219562 Reply

abbodi86
        AskWoody MVP

Not really, the idea of this block/disable tweaks is not for the sake of performance
        just to keep unnecessary addions away

Compatibility Appraiser (CompatTelRunner.exe) will cunsume high amount of system resources during evaluation, specially first time

• #219755 Reply

Noel Carboni
        AskWoody MVP

By the way, my nightly product builds took no less time last night than the night prior, when I had not disabled the log. 55 minutes 14 seconds vs. 55 minutes 18 seconds. The builds vary more than that from night to night.

-Noel

• #219566 Reply

johnf
      AskWoody Lounger

Nadella’s gang has some competition in the race to collect Telemetry, it seems:

Google secretly logs users into Chrome whenever they log into a Google site

Firefox collects data on you through hidden add-ons

• #219567 Reply

geekdom
        AskWoody Lounger

There’s no monopoly on telemetry.

Group G{ot backup} Win7 · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · TestBeta
    • #219660 Reply

jburk07
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for these excellent and clear instructions, @abbodi86! I wouldn’t mind going to Group B for my own machine, but it would be a pain to to go that route for the other 2 machines I update, and I wouldn’t have attempted the script since I wouldn’t know how to undo something if I mess up in executing the process. But these manual steps are very clear and not onerous. I had done some of them earlier, but I’ll be interested to see what happens to my settings after the October rollup.

I really appreciate your time and effort.

• #222570 Reply

WildBill
      AskWoody Lounger

1) Unified Telemetry Client

– introduced in updates KB3068708/KB3080149, and became part of the Monthly Rollup since October 2016 preview rollup

Did NOT know this was in Monthly Rollup. Never install previews (& never will), so it’s been baked in since November 2016. I was surprised since Windows Update still shows as Recommended (do not receive Recommended updates the same as Important). Followed your manual instructions for disabling Telemetry Client services (I had already disabled DiagTrack) & Compatibility Appraiser tasks. Am still switching to Group B after Patch Tuesday, especially if KB2976978 still shows in Windows Update as Important, like KB3010149 does in Recommended. Would rather be Safe (& on Win8.1) than Sorry (& on Win10 whatever).

Windows 8.1, 64-bit, Group A... switching to Group B in November!
      Wild Bill Rides Again...

• #223384 Reply

abbodi86
        AskWoody MVP

Some updates cannot be totally superseded (from Windows Update POV) except with metadata
        and preview rollups cannot metadata-supersede important updates (KB2976978) in this case

KB3080149 is not completely superseded for Windows 8.1
        likewise WU client update KB3044374

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: 2000012: Neutralize Telemetry & Sustain Win 7, 8.1 Monthly Rollup Model

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.