News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • 2000013: How to clear the Windows Update queue in Win10

Home Forums Knowledge Base 2000013: How to clear the Windows Update queue in Win10

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  cyclical01 1 month ago.

• Author

PKCano
      Da Boss

“I hid the updates using whshowhide, but they installed anyway.”
      If you have ever experienced this, here is an explanation and a way to avoid it in the future.

My method for hiding/avoiding KB 4023057 (and any other updates you do not want):

Be sure your Network connections are set to metered connections each time before shutting down the computer. That way, you are on Metered connections when you boot up.

+ Boot computer with metered connections on.
      + Immediately run wushowhide. (Advanced\uncheck auto fix)
      + Hide KB 4023057 (and whatever other updates you do not want).
      + Open Services – highlight Windows Update Service, Disable, Apply, Stop the service (upper left)
      + Restart the computer (not shutdown/bootup)
      + Open Services – highlight Windows Update Service, set to Manual, Apply, DO NOT start the service. Close Services.
      + Immediately run wushowhide and verify the update(s) are hidden, then verify they are not available to be hidden.
      * Restart the computer. This should allow Windows Update to search for updates without clicking on “Check for Updates.”
      + Now you should be able to open Settings\Updates and Security and update without getting the hidden updates. Once you see that only the ones you want are there, turn off Metered connections and allow download.
      + Reset connections to Metered BEFORE the Restart.

If you do not follow the above procedure, the updates you have supposedly hidden may not be cleared from the Settings\Updates and Security\Windows update queue and will thus be downloaded and installed in spite of the fact you THINK you have hidden them.

9 users thanked author for this post.
    • #338076 Reply

Lars220
      AskWoody Lounger

Thank you PKCano for these instructions for clearing the windows update queue, I hope it is ok for me to post here and share some more information, otherwise maybe a moderator can move this post to an appropriate place. I have had good luck using the instructions offered my the Major Geeks website for re-naming the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder to .old, after stopping the Windows Update Service, and then deleting that folder – SoftwareDistribution. Note that after doing that my update history in the Settings App was empty, but in Control Panel Installed Updates still showed some. Anyway, the following links are offered for educational information, and may be useful to some people.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_delete_pending_windows_updates.html

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/11/16/how-to-delete-downloaded-windows-update-files/

How To Clear Windows Update Cache In Windows 10

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1766761 Reply

taftbaby
      AskWoody Plus

PK, should metered connections be turned on all the time?

• #1766782 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

If you have Win10 Home, and you do not use a third-party Update Blocker, until the changes to 1803 and 1809 are tested (the  new”Download and Install now”), the only defense you have against forced updates/upgrades is Metered connections. And sometimes, MS will install through metered connections anyway.

We are hoping the new settings, to be delivered with the June updates, will change this. (But I don’t know if I will ever trust Microsoft again.)

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #1876602 Reply

cyclical01
          AskWoody Lounger

How about if you are using Win10 Pro? At one time I believe I had metered connections set to ON all the time, but I think it messed with something I needed (OneDrive sync, perhaps?) so I turned it off. Would you say it’s OK to leave Metered Connections OFF until I want to check for updates, and then follow the process above? Thanks – it’s all so convoluted (not your fault, if MS did their thing right we wouldn’t need to worry) and I just want to get it right! 🙂

• #1876603 Reply

PKCano
            Da Boss

If you have Win10 Pro, here are the settings I use to control updates (and the reasons for each) and information about the use of AKB2000013.

• #1876612 Reply

cyclical01
              AskWoody Lounger

Got it. I configured all that, and understand. My question is about the last bullet in proc AKB2000013. I guess if I take the statement “+ Reset connections to Metered BEFORE the Restart.” and loop back to the first step “Be sure your Network connections are set to metered connections each time before shutting down the computer.” it follows that you’re saying keep your Network set to Metered unless following the specific step “+ Now you should be able to open Settings\Updates and Security and update without getting the hidden updates. Once you see that only the ones you want are there, turn off Metered connections and allow download.”

If that’s correct, can you validate the following summary of my understanding then?

• I’ve configured update settings and group policy as outlined in the topic “Configuring update on win10/pro”;
              • Whenever I am of a mind to check for updates (every Patch Tuesday, for instance), Update and Security will display the latest patches that are on offer (and which have not previously been hidden by me using wushowhide), in a “queued for download” state;
              • I can then xref the KB numbers against the master patch list and determine which patches I want to hide/unhide;
              • I should then follow the proc listed under this topic (AKB2000013) in order to ensure the Windows Update cache is properly cleared, the appropriate updates are well and truly hidden; and only the updates I have elected NOT to hide are available for download; downloaded, and installed.
              • Except where noted above, my network connection should be set to metered at all times to guard against as much MS sneakiness as possible. 😉

Sorry if I am being a pest, but like I said I just want to get it right and my brain is wired for checklists. LOL! Thanks again for your help and patience!!!

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: 2000013: How to clear the Windows Update queue in Win10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.