News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • 2000014: Ongoing List of Apple Operating System Updates

Home Forums Knowledge Base 2000014: Ongoing List of Apple Operating System Updates

This topic contains 83 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Alex5723 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

PKCano
      Da Boss

AKB2000014 Ongoing List of Apple Operating System Updates

By @Nathan-Parker

Published November 19 2019 rev 1.16

This is a regularly updated list of Apple operating system updates (grouped by device), along with guidance in determining when it is recommended to install each update. Instructions on updating each device are also included.

For users with multiple Apple devices (such as a Mac, iPhone, and iPad, etc.), I recommend waiting to install annual major operating system upgrades after Apple has released the major operating system upgrades for each device type. Occasionally, Apple will make major changes to how app data syncs across devices over iCloud, and waiting to upgrade devices after the major operating system upgrades have been released for each device type provides for the smoothest upgrade experience.

macOS

macOS (formerly Mac OS X and OS X) is the operating system that powers Mac computers. Mac OS X Cheetah-OS X Lion installs operating system updates through Software Update in System Preferences. OS X Mountain Lion-macOS High Sierra installs operating system updates through the Mac App Store. macOS Mojave-Present has moved operating system update installs back through Software Update in System Preferences. Instructions for installing macOS updates can be found here.

Major operating system upgrades for all future macOS releases are delivered through an installer downloaded from the Mac App Store (prior to OS X Lion, operating system upgrades were delivered through a DVD). Mac OS X Cheetah-OS X Mountain Lion named major operating system releases after large cats. OS X Mavericks to the present version of macOS are named after California locations. Major versions are released once a year.

General recommendations for installing macOS upgrades:

1. When a major operating system upgrade is released (such as macOS Catalina 10.15 in October), it is generally recommended to wait and install the upgrade after its first minor update is released (in this case, 10.15.1).
      2. When a minor update to a major operating system version is released (for Catalina, that would be 10.15.1, 10.15.2, 10.15.3, etc.), it is generally recommended to wait a few days after the update has been released before installing it to ensure no major issues have been noted. I generally install such updates on the Friday after release to give myself the weekend to further test and ensure my Mac is working as should from the update before the following week.
      3. When an update marked Supplemental Update or Security Update is released, it is generally safe to install these shortly after the update is released, although I generally follow the same schedule and install such updates on the Friday after release. Some Security Updates are folded into minor updates instead of being released as separate updates.

Current Latest Version: macOS Catalina 10.15.1 (October 29) INSTALL.
      Previous Version 10.15: macOSCatalina Supplemental Update (October 15)

Instructions for preparing to upgrade to macOS Catalina is available here.

Previous Version: macOS Mojave 10.14.6  Supplemental Update 2 INSTALL

Instructions for upgrading to macOS Mojave for users on High Sierra or earlier is available here.

Previous Versions: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Security Update INSTALL

Previous Versions: macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Security Update INSTALL

A list of older previous versions of Mac OS X, OS X, and macOS is available here.

Occasionally, certain Macs will also require a firmware update. These updates are usually included in a minor update or a Supplemental update. While firmware updates are generally safe to install (and Macs generally need the firmware update to resolve an issue), occasionally a firmware update can cause issues, so it is recommended to read up on firmware updates before installing them to ensure it is safe to proceed. This article provides general instructions concerning Mac firmware updates. The most common firmware updates have been SMC firmware updates.

iOS

iOS (formerly iPhone OS until iOS 4) is the operating system that powers iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads (up until iOS 12. iOS 13 offers a variant for iPads known as iPadOS). Updates can either be installed wirelessly using Software Update in Settings (iOS 5 or later), or through iTunes (in macOS Catalina, iTunes iOS device management is being replaced by device management through the Finder that will mirror the functionality of iTunes). Instructions for installing iOS updates are available here. Major versions are released once a year with successive version numbers.

General recommendations for installing iOS updates:

1. When a major operating system upgrade is released (such as iOS 13), it is generally recommended to wait and install the update after its first minor update is released (in most cases, that would be a 0.1 update such as iOS 13.0.1, but it seems for iOS 13, Apple is folding such updates into iOS 13.1).
      2. When a minor bug fix update is released (such as iOS 12.4.1), it is generally safe to install these shortly after the update is released, although I generally wait and install such updates on the Friday after release to give myself the weekend to further test and ensure my iOS devices are working as should from the update before the following week.
      3. When a minor feature update is released (such as iOS 12.4 or iOS 13.1), it is generally safe to install these shortly after the update is released, although I generally wait and install such updates on the Friday after release to give myself the weekend to further test and ensure my iOS devices are working as should from the update before the following week. I have occasionally encountered an issue with minor feature updates causing an issue I would need to self-resolve or need resolved in a successive minor bug fix update.

Current Latest Version: iOS 13.2.3  Fixes included in this version. WAIT for testing.
      Previous Versions: iOS 13.2.2

iOS 13 Device Compatibility is available here.

iOS 12.4.3 INSTALL
      More details on iOS 12.4.3 for iPhone 5

iOS 12 Device Compatibility is available here.

Special Updates to Previous Versions:

iOS 10.3.4 INSTALL

iOS 9.3.6 INSTALL

iPadOS

Beginning with iOS 13, Apple has released a variant for iPads known as iPadOS. Updates can either be installed wirelessly using Software Update in Settings, or through iTunes (in macOS Catalina, iTunes iOS device management is being replaced by device management through the Finder that will mirror the functionality of iTunes). Instructions for installing iPadOS updates are available here. Major versions are released once a year with successive version numbers.

General recommendations for installing iPadOS updates:

1. When a major operating system upgrade is released (such as iPadOS 13), it is generally recommended to wait and install the update after its first minor update is released (in most cases, that would be a 0.1 update such as iPadOS 13.0.1, but we are not sure how Apple is going to handle the first minor update to iPadOS 13 yet).
      2. When a minor bug fix update is released (such as iPadOS 13.0.1, if released), it is generally safe to install these shortly after the update is released, although I generally wait and install such updates on the Friday after release to give myself the weekend to further test and ensure my iPad is working as should from the update before the following week.
      3. When a minor feature update is released (such as iPadOS 13.1, if released), it is generally safe to install these shortly after the update is released, although I generally wait and install such updates on the Friday after release to give myself the weekend to further test and ensure my iPad is working as should from the update before the following week. I have occasionally encountered an issue with minor feature updates causing an issue I would need to self-resolve or have need resolved in a successive minor bug fix update.

Current Latest Version: iPadOS 13.2.3   Fixes included in this version. WAIT for testing.
      Previous Versions: iPadOS 13.2.2

iPadOS 13 Device Compatibility is available here.

Previous Versions (still on previous iOS branding): iOS 12.4.3 INSTALL

iOS 12 Device Compatibility is available here.

iOS 10.3.4 INSTALL

iOS 9.3.6 INSTALL

watchOS

watchOS is the operating system that powers Apple Watches. Updates can either be installed through the Watch app on a paired iPhone or wirelessly using Software Update in Settings (future updates installed after installing watchOS 6 or later). Instructions for installing watchOS updates are available here. Major versions are released once a year with successive version numbers.

General recommendations for installing iOS updates:

1. When a major operating system upgrade is released (such as watchOS 6), it is generally recommended to wait and install the update after its first minor update is released (such as watchOS 6.0.1).
      2. When a minor bug fix update is released (such as watchOS 6.0.1), it is generally safe to install these shortly after the update is released, although I generally wait and install such updates on the Friday after release to give myself the weekend to further test and ensure my Apple Watch working as should from the update before the following week.
      3. When a minor feature update is released (such as watchOS 6.1), it is generally safe to install these shortly after the update is released, although I generally wait and install such updates on the Friday after release to give myself the weekend to further test and ensure my Apple Watch working as should from the update before the following week.

Current Latest Version: watchOS 6.1 Brings support to Series 1 and Series 2 in addition to the rest. WAIT for a few days. see MacRumors.

watchOS 6 is currently available for Series 3-4; older models delayed.
      watchOS 5.3.2 is available for Series 4 connected to older iOS devices not receiving iOS 13 INSTALL

Previous Versions: 5.3.2 (Apple Watch Series 1 and Series 2) INSTALL

watchOS 5 (and later) isn’t compatible with first generation Apple Watch.

tvOS

tvOS is the operating system that powers the fourth-generation Apple TV (Apple TV HD) and later (previous Apple TV models used custom Apple TV software based on a variant of iOS). Updates can be installed wirelessly using Software Update in Settings. Instructions for installing tvOS updates are available here. Major versions are released once a year with successive version numbers.

General recommendations for installing tvOS updates:

1. When a major operating system upgrade is released (such as tvOS 13), it is generally safe to install these shortly after release (as fewer issues tend to occur with Apple TV compared to other Apple devices). I generally install these on the Sunday after their release since I am generally watching some content on Apple TV over the weekend, and I initiate the update when I am finished watching content on Apple TV.
      2. When a minor bug fix update is released (such as tvOS 13.0.1), it is generally safe to install these shortly after release. I generally install these on the Sunday after their release since I am generally watching some content on Apple TV over the weekend, and I initiate the update when I am finished watching content on Apple TV.
      3. When a minor feature update is released (such as tvOS 13.1), it is generally safe to install these shortly after release. I generally install these on the Sunday after their release since I am generally watching some content on Apple TV over the weekend, and I initiate the update when I am finished watching content on Apple TV.

Current Latest Version: tvOS 13.2 INSTALL

Previous Version: tvOS 12.4.1

Occasionally, the Siri remote on the fourth-generation Apple TV (Apple TV HD) or later will require a firmware update. These are generally handled automatically after tvOS updates, although occasionally it is recommended to check for these firmware updates manually. These instructions explain how to manually update the Siri remote firmware. Siri remote firmware updates are safe install shortly after release (and it is generally recommended they are installed shortly after release).

Apple TV Software 7.3.1 (for third generation Apple TV) INSTALL

AirPods
      The firmware on AirPods should update automatically, especially after iOS updates. However, occasionally it is recommended to check for these firmware updates manually. These instructions explain how to manually check AirPods firmware. AirPod firmware updates are safe install shortly after release (and it is generally recommended they are installed shortly after release).

Current Latest Firmware Version: AirPods Pro revision 2B588 Auto INSTALL

HomePod

The software on the HomePod should update automatically. However, occasionally it is recommended to install these software updates manually. These instructions explain how to manually update the software on the HomePod. HomePod software updates are likely safe to install shortly after release (as fewer issues tend to occur with the HomePod compared to other Apple devices).

Current Latest Version: HomePod Software v13.2.1  INSTALL.

Previous Version: HomePod Software 12.4

AirPort
      AirPort wireless routers have been discontinued by Apple. However, occasionally there has been a firmware update released for AirPort wireless routers. These firmware updates are generally installed automatically. However, here are the the instructions explaining how to manually update the firmware on AirPort wireless routers. Firmware updates should be installed shortly after release to improve the security and reliability of AirPort wireless routers.

Due to the fact that Apple has discontinued AirPort wireless routers, users should slowly begin transitioning to another brand wireless router for security updates. I have personally had good experience with Cisco Small Business routers, and I have had excellent wireless performance with Cambium Networks business routers and wireless access points. I have also had decent wireless performance with Asus wireless routers.

The latest firmware available for AirPort Extreme AC models is:

7.9.1 INSTALL

The latest firmware available for AirPort Express N models is:

7.8 INSTALL

A list of the latest firmware for older AirPort models is available here.

Security Updates
      Apple occasionally releases security updates for its various devices. These are generally included in major operating system upgrades or minor operating system updates. A list of all recent Apple security updates is available here.

12 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1964657 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

NOTE: both iOS 9.3.6 and 10.3.4 GPS Fix for older tech

Apple recommends all users with eligible devices install the new updates. Apple devices won’t be affected until November 3, 2019, so there should be plenty of time for users with affected iPhones and iPads to install the new software.

quote from
      https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/22/apple-releases-gps-bug-fix-older-iphones-ipads/

and from the horses mouthhttps://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210239

My interpretation of this is that it needs to be done prior to November 3rd 2019 otherwise the GPS function will not work as intended thereafter.

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1964752 Reply

willygirl
        AskWoody Plus

I just updated a friend’s iPhone5 to 10.3.4 and it’s all good. Glad we have Apple on the AW forum. It’s going to help lots of folks.

Win7 SP1 Home 64-bit, GrpA

• #1964836 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Please, note the following, because it can be somewhat unnerving for those of us still getting to know our Macs and used to how Windows updates work:

In my, admittedly rather limited experience, system updates, whether initial or incremental, take about the same, long time to install. Once the process starts by clicking “install”, it will go through a cycle where the machine actually seems to turn itself completely off several times, but then restarts showing the usual loader screen: black with a white apple in the middle and a loading bar under it. The bar sometimes does not move, or move backwards, or the screen goes all black again before it has extended fully. The whole process, until finally getting to a login screen a bit different from the usual one, takes some 20 minutes, give or take. After logging in, everything looks to be back to normal.

With my thanks to PKCano for starting and taking care of this very timely new knowledge-base for the benefit of Mac users, and for writing its detailed opening entry. And for the good advice on when to install system updates (the same as for Windows upgrades and patches and except for rare emergencies: wait a while after they are first offered!)

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #1964846 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Let’s give Credit where Credit is due.
        If you will notice at the top, the credit goes to Nathan Parker for this Thread. It’s his knowledge that he put together for this very informative piece.

I simply did the posting.

3 users thanked author for this post.
        • #1964860 Reply

willygirl
          AskWoody Plus

Yep. I often let Nathan know how valuable his input and research/knowledge is for us with Apple devices and such. We are very lucky to have Mr. Parker aboard.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #1964861 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Yes, I’m afraid I missed that. So now I must make it even clearer that Nathan is behind this. He has been great help from his first coming to Woody’s as go-to Apple expert in residence, always quick to answer questions and give useful advice concerning the problems I and others may be having with the use of our Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc. As well as being a bringer of timely and useful information on new developments and changes concerning Apple products, both software and hardware. Doing all that while in the middle of his higher-degree studies and being active making informative videos. For that and for your ever gentle and unassuming manner: Thank you, Nathan!

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #1964993 Reply

DrBonzo
          AskWoody Plus

Here’s a big thanks to Nathan Parker!

• #1964877 Reply

anonymous

I would DEFINITELY suggest waiting to update to ipadOS 13.1 – first time I’ve ever really had issues with an iOS update happened last night. My Air2 now won’t connect to wifi and isn’t recognizable by itunes. (Itunes 12.6.5.3, so ymmv.) Limited # of apps tested; most of them crash soon after startup.

I didn’t do a backup before I did it, since I had been lulled into a false sense of security. Last backup was about 2 weeks ago.

• #1965119 Reply

willygirl
        AskWoody Plus

*Edit to say I just saw where you’re having trouble connecting to WiFi and further say that iTunes won’t even recognize your device, ouch! Sounds like a jumbled mess. So the suggestion below seems a moot point unless someone can come through with better advice. Good luck!

Maybe this will help. You should be able to restore your iPad Air2 back to 12.4.1. from 13.1. through iTunes using a PC or Mac. Of course it would be ideal to have a recent backup prior to the upgrade but at least you will have a reliable and stable iOS. You can wait for a new update that fixes this mess, but considering all the flaws popping up that could take awhile. Here’s a link with downgrade info.
        https://wccftech.com/how-to/downgrade-ipados-to-ios-12/

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  willygirl.
    • #1966674 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Released iOS /iPadOS 13.1.1 to fix battery drain, Siri, iPhone restores.

iOS 13.1.1 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone. This update:

Fixes issues that could prevent iPhone restoring from backup
      Addresses an issue that could cause battery to drain more quickly
      Fixes an issue that could impact recognition of Siri requests on iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
      Resolves a problem where Safari search suggestions may re-enable after turning them off
      Addresses an issue that could cause Reminders to sync slowly
      Fixes a security issue for third-party keyboard apps

Apple releases iOS 13.1.1 with fixes for battery drain, Siri, iPhone restores

• #1966830 Reply

willygirl
        AskWoody Plus

Maybe somebody could start a new topic for the latest Apple iOS,  iPadOS updates after a download/install. I’m sticking with 12.4.1 until an update comes along that’s more solid. Sometimes it takes a few additional minor fixes until they get it right.

• #1966835 Reply

Ken Sims
      AskWoody Plus

Maybe somebody could start a new topic for the latest Apple iOS, iPadOS updates after a download/install. I’m sticking with 12.4.1 until an update comes along that’s more solid. Sometimes it takes a few additional minor fixes until they get it right.

12.4.2 has been released in parallel with 13.1.1. I’ve installed 12.4.2 on my iPhone 6 with no visible issues.

I’ve also not seen any issues so far on my iPhone 8 with 13.1.1.

• #1966887 Reply

willygirl
        AskWoody Plus

I knew there was a 12.4.2 for iPhone 6 and others who were using an older device that were dropped by 13. I have an 8Plus but will wait a bit longer. Good to know your 8 is problem free so far! Let us know if there’s anything buggy or even if  a few days from now it’s still doing good. Thanks!

• #1966905 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

The AKB will get updated when I get the time. There are updates for older iOS and MacOS that need to be added. Nathan has sent me some of the information to add (when I get a round tuit).Round-TUIT

Attachments:
          • #1967011 Reply

willygirl
            AskWoody Plus

PK could you please get to the point 😊 Or you could borrow my round tuit. No problem I know you’ve got a load. Take a break go hang out in Hawaii under a palm tree, you deserve it.

• #1967279 Reply

Ken Sims
          AskWoody Plus

I knew there was a 12.4.2 for iPhone 6 and others who were using an older device that were dropped by 13. I have an 8Plus but will wait a bit longer. Good to know your 8 is problem free so far! Let us know if there’s anything buggy or even if a few days from now it’s still doing good. Thanks!

Today my iPhone 6 (that I updated to 12.4.2) had a wonky Bluetooth issue with my car.

It initially connected okay, but when I turned on the audio in the car to play the music that I had ready to go on the phone, there was no sound. I checked the volume level. I checked the phone, which showed that the music was playing. Pausing and resuming the playback did nothing. I turned off the Bluetooth on the phone and turned it back. The phone and car now would not connect.

For the return trip, I followed the normal procedures. The connection took place normally and the music played through the car’s speakers normally.

I don’t know if the issue had anything to do with 12.4.2. I don’t even know whether the issue was the fault of the phone or of the car.

I’m taking the iPhone 6 out of service very soon anyway. The iPhone 8 (on 13.1.1) is replacing it. I’ve got it almost ready to go.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Ken Sims.
          • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Ken Sims.
          • #1970586 Reply

Ken Sims
            AskWoody Plus

I made four trips today (going to two different places, returning home between) and did not have any problems on any trip with my iPhone 6 running 12.4.2 with either Bluetooth connectivity or with car audio playing music from the phone.

I’ve upgraded my iPhone 8 to 13.1.2 with no apparent issues yet. I haven’t used the Bluetooth on the 8 yet because the SIM card is still in the 6, so the 8 stays home when I go places.

• #1977166 Reply

Ken Sims
          AskWoody Plus

Last Thursday I got the phone functions moved from my iPhone 6 (iOS 12.4.2) to my new iPhone 8 (iOS 13.1.2), and subsequently wiped the 6.

No visible problems with the 8 and iOS 13.1.2, including no bluetooth connection problems nor audio problems with my car.

• #1967276 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

AKB2000014: Ongoing List of Apple Operating System Updates has been updated Saturday, September 28, 2019 to reflect the recent updates issued by Apple.

• #1969052 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Dev/Public beta of iOS 13.1.2 released.

• #1969070 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

had a wonky Bluetooth issue with my car.

I guess that I am blessed 🙂 Never in ~8 years with iPhone devices have I accounted BT connection problems in my cars. I think the reason is that I never settled for the build-in audio/media systems that came with my cars and always install high end systems (current : iPhone Max, iOS 13.1.2 beta, Pioneer AVH-X8850BT).

• #1969085 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Dev macOS Catalina beta 10 released.

• #1969093 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

watchOS 6.0.1 released to the public.

watchOS 6.0.1 optimizes performance, provides security updates, and contains improvements and bug fixes, including:

Resolves an issue where the Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse watch face does not speak time
      Addresses an issue where the calendar complication may not display events
      Fixes a bug that could result in a loss of display calibration data

• #1969102 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Dev/Public beta of iOS 13.1.2 released

Correction : This is a public release, not beta.

iOS 13.1.2 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone. This update:

Fixes a bug where the progress bar for iCloud Backup could continue to show after a successful backup
      Fixes an issue where Camera may not work
      Addresses an issue where the flashlight may not activate
      Fixes a bug that could result in a loss of display calibration data
      Fixes an issue where shortcuts could not be run from HomePod
      Addresses an issue where Bluetooth may disconnect on certain vehicles

• #1969132 Reply

pmcjr6142
        AskWoody Plus

Alex57232 and Nathan Parker….these update fixes to iOS 13 are coming fast and furious now.  13.1.2 is not yet on gottabemobile.com and they are usually very fast on this.  iOS 13.1.1 is recommended as “install” on this 2000014 Knowledge Base forum and now there is 13.1.2.  Question/Comment….Gordon Kelly who has the Forbes articles quoted on this Forum before, is recommending a hold on 13.1.1 for now.  He thinks iOS13 is that messed up.  If I may ask, why do you recommend install for 13.1.1 and do you think these problems are iPhone model specific?  I have a 6S.

• #1969172 Reply

Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

why do you recommend install for 13.1.1 and do you think these problems are iPhone model specific?  I have a 6S

Just installed iOS 13.1.2 on my iPhone Max, Installed WatchOS 6.0.1 on my Apple Watch 5 and starting installation of iPadOS 3.1.2 (3.06GB) on my iPad 10.5 Pro.
          I am a beta user too.

Contrary to Windows 10 updates where I wait 30 days (security updates) and 6 months (feature update) I install Apple’s security and bug fixes the minute they are out. Never in ~8+ years have I came across a sever problem/bug.

I think the the 6s hardware is too old for the new iOS 13.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Alex5723.
          • This reply was modified 2 months ago by  PKCano.
          • #1969231 Reply

pmcjr6142
            AskWoody Plus

“I think the the 6s hardware is too old for the new iOS 13”

Alex, no the 6S gets 13.  The iPhone 6 and below don’t get it.  I was wondering if the iOS13 problems were more or less model specific, ie, the newer models have the problems.

• #1969236 Reply

Alex5723
              AskWoody Plus

“I think the the 6s hardware is too old for the new iOS 13”

Alex, no the 6S gets 13.  The iPhone 6 and below don’t get it.  I was wondering if the iOS13 problems were more or less model specific, ie, the newer models have the problems.

I haven’t said the the 6s doesn’t get iOS 13, I said that the hardware is too old to carry iOS 13.
              You could take the “Windows root”, backup your 6s, wipe your 6s, and start as new.

• #1969270 Reply

pmcjr6142
              AskWoody Plus

“I haven’t said the the 6s doesn’t get iOS 13, I said that the hardware is too old to carry iOS 13.
              You could take the “Windows root”, backup your 6s, wipe your 6s, and start as new.”

Alex….help me here.  I know I could install 13 via a iPhone Restore on iTunes to free up space before it installs the newest update, but I have 17.58 GB available now and isn’t iOS13 around 2.28 GB?  Also, doesn’t it  also free up space by implementing APFS as the new file system.  When you said “too old”, I’m assuming you were referring to available space.  Thanks.

• #1969409 Reply

Ken Sims
              AskWoody Plus

According to this Ars Technica article:
              iOS 13 on the iPhone 6S and SE: New software runs fine on a phone that’s still fast
              … “People upgrading to iOS 13 this year may have more of an incentive than usual to keep using their old phones rather than upgrading to new ones.”

• #1969463 Reply

pmcjr6142
              AskWoody Plus

According to this Ars Technica article:
              iOS 13 on the iPhone 6S and SE: New software runs fine on a phone that’s still fast
              … “People upgrading to iOS 13 this year may have more of an incentive than usual to keep using their old phones rather than upgrading to new ones.”

Ken….very good article.  I feel better about iOS 13 now and will most likely upgrade.  Thank you.

• #1971428 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Developer iOS 13.2 beta 1 with Deep Fusion camera Technology released.

• #1971588 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

AKB2000014: Ongoing List of Apple Operating System Updates has been updated Wednesday, October 2, 2019 to reflect the recent updates issued by Apple.

• #1973443 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Just a few days after releasing the 10th beta of macOS Catalina, Apple has released the macOS Catalina Golden Master. That’s just ahead of the expected public release tomorrow, October 4th.

The macOS Catalina Golden Master is available now for those on the beta and is a good sign that Apple is indeed on track to release the latest macOS update to the public tomorrow, October 4th.

Apple releases macOS Catalina 10.15 GM ahead of public release

• #1976515 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

macOS Catalina final.

macOS Catalina now available, here are the top 7 new Mac features

macOS Catalina now available, here are the top 7 new Mac features

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Alex5723.
    • #1978468 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Apple released watchOS 5.3.2 for the Apple Watch Series 4 connected to older iOS devices not receiving iOS 13 (not receiving WatchOS 6).

Using Apple Watch Series 4 with an older iPhone? There’s a software update for you

• #1978528 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

iOS 13.2 beta 2, iPadOS 13.2 beta 2, watchOS 6.1 beta 3, and tvOS 13.2 beta 2 available for devs.

• #1979245 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

First developer beta of macOS 10.15.1.

• #1979256 Reply

cptomes
      AskWoody Plus

Just a note from an iOS/macOS technician (worked at an aasp until fall 2017…)

new iOS version (11.x.x 12.x.x 13.x.x) wait a month.  if you’re on 12.4.1 and your iPhone wants to go to 13.anything, wait a month.

major iOS revision (12.3.x going to 12.4.x) wait two weeks.

minor iOS revision (12.4.1 going to 12.4.2) wait a week.

let the other folks be on the bleeding edge.  almost all the time, if there is an issue, Apple will address is pretty fast.  but older devices might have issues with the latest updates, give Apple a chance to fix it before you install.  staying within the last major version is a super good idea if your iPhone can handle it.

for macOS, wait a week or two after the security update for your version of macOS pops up.  don’t just hit the “update” button, read what got fixed and maybe even go to macrumors.com and see what if anything got broken with the update.  if you’re an Adobe Creative Cloud or other big expensive software user, you know where to go to verify these updates won’t break your shiny.

for versions of macOS, everyone should decide for themselves when to migrate.  wait at least 2 months after release, in my opinion.  unless you know and have practiced how to use disk utility or carbon copy cloner to make a bootable image of your Mac on an external drive, you have no business playing canary in the coal mine.  newer Mac laptops are ssd-soldered-down and lack the data recovery port on the logic board that the 2015 laptops showed up with.  so if your mac goes belly up the only solutions may be “erase and fresh install” or “replace the logic board” both of which blows away your data.  iMacs are mostly showing up with Fusion Drive so if those hiccup it’s “erase everything and rebuild from scratch – you have a current time machine backup don’t you?”

when the new versions of the os come out, pay attention to stuff like “file system is now apfs not hfs+” and “time machine backups will be converted to the new format which may make the backup disk unreadable to older OS”.  that tsunami washed ashore with 10.14 and if people dedicate a backup disk to one machine, not a problem.  but for those of us with 16tb drobo raids for time machine and 7 macs, these details matter.  get a usb-c/thunderbolt3 disk and be happy with speedy new disk.

just my .02.

in conclusion, my day job is keeping Microsoft desktops and servers alive.  and every single computer I own is either Apple or has Linux on it.  I would rather experience an Apple update/version problem than ANY of the last two years of Microsoft screwups.

Hey look! Another Feature Update!

You mean I shouldn't click Check for Updates?

Why does it keep saying "Something Happened"?

7 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1987827 Reply

pmcjr6142
        AskWoody Plus

cptomes…excellent post.  Your last paragraph is why I intend to switch to iMac instead of updating to Win 10.  Without Ask Woody, my Win 7 Dell PC would have been toast long ago.  The monthly Microsoft update issues are really getting old.   As to the iOS 13 issues that seem to be fairly widespread…I have elected to stay on iOS 12.4.1 until Gordon Kelly and his Forbes column give the green light.  I’m surprised that this Knowledge Base column isn’t covering the iOS 13 problems instead of so quickly recommending “Install”.

• #1987948 Reply

Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

I’m surprised that this Knowledge Base column isn’t covering the iOS 13 problems instead of so quickly recommending “Install”.

What iOS 13 problems ?

I run beta versions of iOS (and now iPadOS) for years… never have I encountered any crashes, apps not launching, iOS not booting…

Now on iOS/iPadOS 13.2 beta 3 (iPhone XS Max, iPad 10.5 Pro.)

Staying on iOS 12 you lose security updates, lot of new features, you can’t update Apple Watch to WatchOS 6, you can’t connect to Apple Arcade,…

Make a double backup to iCloud and local PC and upgrade to 13.1.3

Better still, join the Beta group.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Alex5723.
          • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  PKCano.
    • #1981652 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Apple released rare update to AirPort utility.
      Users have reported problems with the AirPort Utility app on iOS 13.

1.3.6 Oct 14, 2019
      This update includes general stability and security improvements

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/airport-utility/id427276530

• #1983225 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

iOS 13.2 beta 3, iPadOS 13.2 beta 3, watchOS 6.1 beta 4, and tvOS 13.2 beta 3 released.

• #1983967 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Apple released second developer beta of macOS Catalina 10.15.1

• #1989442 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

iOS 13.2 beta 4, iPadOS 13.2 beta 4, watchOS 6.1 beta 5, and tvOS 13.2 beta 4 released.

• #1990634 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Third developer beta of macOS Catalina 10.15.1 released.

• #1994360 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

HomePod 13.2 released
      iOS 13.2 now available with Deep Fusion..
      iOS 12.4.3 released for iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPad Air, iPad Mini 2/3, and iPod touch 6th-gen

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Alex5723.
    • #1994932 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

This maybe odd: Today, 29 October, I have received the current update for Safari, but an old security update for my current version of macOS Mojave: Security Update 2019-0001 that, according to my search on the Web, came out in March. On the other hand, I have not received the Mojave Supplemental Update 2 that has been released today, or at least very recently and is now mentioned in the updated header of this thread.

• #1994935 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

This one was sneakly quiet. If you have it installed, under System Report\Software, you should have macOS 10.14 Mojave: 18G103. I didn’t even get asked about installing it.

• #1994948 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks, PK. I just checked as you advised, and verified  that I do have installed that version of Mojave, except it is listed as “macOS 10.14.8 18G103″ ” (the only difference with what you wrote being”.8″) . The kernel is “Darwin 18.7.0.

Still no “Supplemental Update 2” in sight.

So, should I just ignore Security Update 2019-0001? (I’ll be doing that anyway, until further notice.)

• #1994952 Reply

PKCano
            Da Boss

I believe 18G103 is the second supplemental. See here.

• #1994994 Reply

OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the link: Now there is no doubt in my mind that I have Update 2 installed. So what is 2019-0001 doing here? I have never missed a single update sent by Apple since I installed Mojave, months ago.

• #1995028 Reply

OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

I have just installed the Safari update to version 13.0.3, but did not choose to install  the 2019-0001 Mojave update also “waiting to install”, leaving it for a later occasion — or never. And what would you know? After the Safari install was done, I checked to see what was still waiting to install, and there was only Catalina there, no trace of 2019-0001… But now the version of Mojave has changed to “macOS 10.14.6 (18G1012)” (I probably misread (?), earlier, “.6” as “.8” .)

Stranger and stranger…

• #1995035 Reply

PKCano
              Da Boss

Sneaky things, those security updates from Apple!  🙂

• #1995055 Reply

PKCano
              Da Boss

@oscarcp
              Try again. There was too much HTML in that copy/paste to make it legible.

• #1995071 Reply

OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

PKCano: Sorry about that! I thought, afterwards, that the html might be a problem, but was in something of a hurry, so I did not came back to edit it.

Now, here it goes again:

According to Wikipedia in Italian, the version now in my Mac (10.14.6 (18G1012)) is the latest one and was released today, 29 October 2019, 0 days ago (“0 giorni fa”)

Sviluppatore Apple Inc.
              Famiglia SO Unix, BSD
              Release iniziale 10.14 Developer Beta 1 (4 giugno 2018; 16 mesi fa)
              Release corrente 10.14.6 (18G1012) (29 ottobre 2019; 0 giorni fa)

But, according to the Wikipedia in English, it is still the version you mentioned (10.14.6 (18G103), released 31 days ago, as shown here:

Developer: Apple Inc.
              OS family Macintosh Unix

Source model Closed, with open source components
              Initial release September 24, 2018; 13 months ago.
              Latest release 10.14.6 (18G103) (September 26, 2019; 31 days ago)

(Also, while the Italian version gives the Beta 1 release as the initial one, in June of last year, English Wikipedia gives the data of the actual Mojave official release to all users in September 2018, which is more to the point.)

Maybe Wikipedia in English also needs a Mac update?

And was update “2019-0001” just a cover name for the latest macOS update, released today, at least according to the Italian Wikipedia version? Sneaky, indeed!

• #1994966 Reply

DrBonzo
            AskWoody Plus

I’m not in a position to check my MacBook Air Mojave machine, but update 2 for Mojave was released on Sept. 26 and if I recall correctly a new version of it – still going by update 2 – was issued on Sept 29.

On my iMac High Sierra, I was offered today supplemental update 6, so there may be a new round of MacOS (if that’s the correct current lingo for the Mac OS) updates out today. I can’t yet see any info for it on the Apple support page
            https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

• #1995087 Reply

OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

DrBonzo: If 2019-0001 shows in your Mojave Mac along with the update of Safari to version 13.0.3 and you choose to install only the Safari one, 2019-0001 (apparently the latest Mojave update, disguised as an old update) will install itself also anyways, whether you want it or not. That happened to me a while ago, and it is still too early to tell if that is good or bad.

• #1994943 Reply

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

HomePod 13.2 released

HomePod 13.2 has been pulled as the update bricked some HomePods which are being replaced at Apple Stores.

macOS Catalina 10.15.1 released

WathcOS 6.1 released (for Apple Watch 1 & 2 as well).

• #1995192 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

The Mojave updates I’m being offered today are:

• Security Update 2019-001 for 10.14.6
      • Safari 13.0.3

Should I be seeing anything else?

Nathan Parker

• #1995223 Reply

DrBonzo
        AskWoody Plus

@NathanParker – That’s exactly what I’m seeing. Both of these (as well as some others) are finally showing up here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

• #1996015 Reply

DrBonzo
        AskWoody Plus

I just installed Safari 13.0.3 and Security Update 2019-001 on a MacBook Air running Mojave. Everything seems fine.

• #1996061 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Apple has released HomePod 13.2.1.

• #2000304 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Apple released iOS 13.3, iPadOS 13.3, tvOS 13.3, and watchOS 6.1.1 betas.

• #2000523 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

iOS 13.3, iPadOS 13.3

Public beta 1 is out.

• #2001108 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

iOS 13.2.2 released

iOS 13.2.2 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone. This update:

Fixes an issue that could cause apps to quit unexpectedly when running in the background

Resolves an issue where iPhone may temporarily lose mobile signal after a call

Addresses an issue where mobile data may temporarily not be available

Fixes an issue that caused replies to S/MIME encrypted email messages between Exchange accounts to be unreadable

Addresses an issue where using Kerberos single sign-on service in Safari may present an authentication prompt

Resolves an issue where charging may be interrupted on YubiKey Lightning-powered accessories

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/11/07/apple-releases-ios-13-2-2/

iPadOS 13.2.2 released as well.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  Alex5723.
    • #2001111 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

macOS Catalina 10.15.2 beta 1 released.

• #2002551 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

For those of you with MacOS, some information:
      I have installed MacOS 10.15 on my 2012 iMac and 10.15.1 on my old 2012 13″ MacBook Pro (yes, the one that still had the slot DVD drive), both upgraded from Mojave. Both seem to be running normally on Catalina. Note that I do not use the built in apps like Safari, Mail, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, etc with any frequency, so they have not been tested.

32-bit Apps are no longer allowed. I had to uninstall Office 2011 and iWorks from the older MacBook Pro (even I had the latest Pages, Numbers, and Keynote installed) and some third-party apps from both machines. My old version of InSSIDer (Free) no longer worked.

The change in SMB1 required some finagling to get my NAS drives reconnected. Change from:
      smb://<servername>/<sharename>
      to:
      smb://<servername>._smb._tcp.local/<sharename>

Quite a few of my third-party apps had to be upgraded to a later version: TrendMicro AV, my file sync software, Parallels Desktop, Paragon NTFS for Mac, Adobe Reader, Calibre, Kindle app among them.
      The current versions of FireFox, WaterFox, Thunderbird, VLC Player and CCleaner seem to be OK.

• #2005060 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

macOS 10.15.2 beta 2 released.

• #2005395 Reply

willygirl
      AskWoody Plus

“Apple iOS 13.2.2 has landed and it’s both an essential upgrade and a negligent mess. Apple’s sixth rapid-fire update since September addresses the appalling performance problems introduced by iOS 13.2 but introduces new ones and ignores major ongoing issues.”
      https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/11/08/apple-ios-1322-release-should-you-upgrade-iphone-update/

Above excerpt from Gordon Kelly with Forbes – last update to his report was Nov 8. Any thoughts as to his findings on the latest iOS 13.2.2 update? I’m running on 12.4.1 and there are no major issues on my iPhone or iPad with this iOS 12 update. I really would like to wait and see what iOS 13.3 has to offer in the way of stability. I understand it’s out in Beta now and planned for release in December.

• #2005405 Reply

Ken Sims
        AskWoody Plus

I updated from 13.2 to 13.2.2 a week ago (November 7) and I haven’t noticed any problems.

I use the iOS Mail app for three Gmail accounts (all of which I set up as Other so that I could manually configure exactly as I wanted), but my iPhone 8 is a secondary device for email. My PC is the primary device so I don’t leave mail on the account. I delete it or move it to the hard drive of my PC. So I never use Search in the Mail app.

• #2005434 Reply

pmcjr6142
      AskWoody Plus

“Apple iOS 13.2.2 has landed and it’s both an essential upgrade and a negligent mess. Apple’s sixth rapid-fire update since September addresses the appalling performance problems introduced by iOS 13.2 but introduces new ones and ignores major ongoing issues.”
      https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/11/08/apple-ios-1322-release-should-you-upgrade-iphone-update/

Above excerpt from Gordon Kelly with Forbes – last update to his report was Nov 8. Any thoughts as to his findings on the latest iOS 13.2.2 update? I’m running on 12.4.1 and there are no major issues on my iPhone or iPad with this iOS 12 update. I really would like to wait and see what iOS 13.3 has to offer in the way of stability. I understand it’s out in Beta now and planned for release in December.

Willygirl….I also follow Gordon Kelly as I do Woody.  Woody never recommends installing new updates when they first come out.  The sky won’t fall if you wait.  I subscribe to this same philosophy for iOS updates.  Until Gordon gives the OK, I’m not updating to iOS 13….iOS 12 works just fine for me.  I can live without dark mode.  While people have installed 13 without problems, there are definitely problems out there.  I’m not willing to play Russian roulette with my iPhone.

• #2005562 Reply

willygirl
        AskWoody Plus

I listen to what Nathan has to say here at Woody’s. But in the process of hitting on a current iOS update, I search around to get the findings of those who report in, this means there are various websites out there giving their rundown. But the bottom line is I wait for guidance from our MVP Nathan Parker to give a thumbs up or down. That’s when I make a final decision on whether to update my phone or other Apple devices. Nathan has a keen sense when updating seems logical. I wanted to throw that post in from Kelly because it raised some questions and concern.

• #2005436 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

iOS/iPasOS 13.3 beta 2 released

• #2005437 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Gordon Kelly with Forbes – last update to his report was Nov 8. Any thoughts as to his findings

Gordon Kelly is an Apple hater not to be trusted.

• #2005443 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

PKCano #2002551 : “I have installed MacOS 10.15 on my 2012 iMac and 10.15.1 on my old 2012 13″ MacBook Pro (yes, the one that still had the slot DVD drive), both upgraded from Mojave. Both seem to be running normally on Catalina. Note that I do not use the built in apps like Safari, Mail, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, etc with any frequency, so they have not been tested.

I only use Mail and none of the others in that list (although I keep all of them duly updated). Mail fulfills a very important function as an email client, when chosen to keep oneself in meaningful touch with others, so I am interested to know what PK finds out after trying it.

Has anyone else who installed Catalina been using Mail afterwards? If so, how has that worked out?

• #2005449 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

I use Thunderbird as the mail client, since it is cross paltform: MacOS and Windows (and Linux too). That way I can have my contacts, mail, etc the same everywhere.

• #2005446 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Apple AirPods Pro Firmware Update 2B588 Released.

• #2008041 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

iOS 13.2.3 / iPadOS 13.2.3 released :

iOS 13.2.3 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone. This update:

Fixes an issue where system search and search within Mail, Files, and Notes might not work
      Addresses an issue where photos, links, and other attachments might not display in the Messages details view
      Fixes an issue that could prevent apps from downloading content in the background
      Resolves issues that may prevent Mail from fetching new messages, and fail to include and quote original message content in Exchange accounts

iOS 13.2.3 & iPadOS 13.2.3 Update Released with Bug Fixes

• #2008570 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

iOS 13.3 and iPadOS 13.3 beta 3

• #2008585 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

macOS 10.15.2 beta 3 , TvOS 13.3, watchOS 6.1.1 beta 3

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: 2000014: Ongoing List of Apple Operating System Updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.