News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • 2019 bootres.dll boot repair loop

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 2019 bootres.dll boot repair loop

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Indoda 1 month ago.

• Author

Indoda
      AskWoody Lounger

I was asked to support a Windows 10 machine that failed with a boot repair loop at the beginning of this month.

The symptoms seem quite similar to Repair Loop – Boot critical file bootres.dll is corrupt, albeit all that I find online refer to the nefariuos Windows Update 1810, while this is recent.

Booting gets into a repair loop, and the log at c:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\SrtTrail.txt complains that c:\efi\microsoft\boot\resources\custom\bootres.dll is corrupt, no matter that I put there a bootres.dll into the (previosuly missing) custom folder, that I change the bootres.dll with a new one or even restore them with bcdboot.

After restoring a known-to-work image for the EFI partition from some months back, that still fails in the same way, I concluded that despite the misleading message, the fault actually lies somewhere in the Windows install partition.

The error appeared on Oct 3<sup>th</sup>, after installing Windows updates the previous night. This clearly points to one of the recent CVE-2019-1367 out-of-band updates as the culprit. It is possible that it could have received the “official” patch from Oct 3<sup>th</sup>, although I find more likely that it was one of the previous ones.

• How can I find which updates were last installed? Note that at this point I have full access to the filesystem,¹ but not a working Windows install, so would need to view them from the Recovery Console or Linux). I did look on the Windows folder, but found no from the expected time.
      • Any additional idea on which one may be the culprit?
      • Is there a way to rollback / disable their effects?
      • Any other tips for making it work again?

¹ Mostly, there are a number of files for which Linux show IO errors (even on an image, they are not errors of the actual disk, but logical ones), which I initially attributed to lack of support on ntfs-3g.

• #1980028 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

I would do the following.

1. Backup the original disk after booting from my backup software USB.
      2. Obtain a Windows 10 install ISO and write it to USB.
      3. Boot from the Windows USB and re-install Windows, keeping user data and settings.

It is possible that you have a hardware problem, possibly the disk is not well causing it to present bad data. Booting from a recovery USB with a SMART reader, or the disk manufacturer’s diagnostic program.

cheers, Paul

• #1980171 Reply

Indoda
      AskWoody Lounger

I had checked the disk SMART values, and none had any failed state. Since it is also failing for a dd image sotred on a different disk, IMHO it looks more like filesystem inconsistency. Perhaps those files ended just pointing to memory, and are stored in hiberfil.sys due to quick poweroff, causing the boot process to not be able to read them.

Next step will be to attempt reading them from recovery console, in order to view them from Microsoft side.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: 2019 bootres.dll boot repair loop

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.