News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • 2020 patching starts with a bang!

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog 2020 patching starts with a bang!

This topic contains 25 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

Tracey Capen
      AskWoody MVP

PATCH WATCH By Susan Bradley Patch Tuesday arrived on January 14, and it was not an auspicious start to the new year. An NSA warning about a newly rev
      [See the full post at: 2020 patching starts with a bang!]

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2087610 Reply

dick_blaine
      AskWoody Plus

Susan, I am confused about installing updates for Servicing-stacks.

I searched thru the update history  on my Windows 1909 system which is updated thru today.

I am unable to find either the previous or current servicing-stack (4525569 or 4528759).

Am I supposed to install these servicing-stack updates manually or do they install automatically.  If the latter, how can I verify that 4528759 is installed?

• #2087625 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

The Servicing Stack update will not show up in Windows Update until/unless there are no other pending (checked or unchecked) updates in the Important update queue. So, whatever is showing, you have to either install or HIDE untill the Servicing Stack shows up.

If you hide updates you need to install, be sure you unhide them afterward.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2087635 Reply

anonymous

So, whatever is showing, you have to either install or HIDE until the Servicing Stack shows up.

So, just how is that done in Windows 10 version 1909 without using a third party tool like wushowhide that isn’t built into Windows?

• #2087639 Reply

PKCano
            Da Boss

Oops, wrong OS.

The Servicing Stack in Win10 does not show up in the WU queue for install OR in the Update History (with its own KB number). But is is installed along with the CU.
            It will show up in the Installed Updates, however. Look for it there.

• #2087687 Reply

Alex5723
            AskWoody Plus

So, just how is that done in Windows 10 version 1909 without using a third party tool like wushowhide that isn’t built into Windows?

wushowhide is not 3rd party tool. Its a Microsoft’s tool.

• #2087671 Reply

JLamede
      AskWoody Plus

A related question, following patch Tuesday. Yesterday I upgraded to v. 1903, following Woody’s helpful advice to go for it, but wasn’t prepared for the system to automatically install two patches recommended for pro tem deferral: 4528759 and 4528760. It may be as a result of these that I’ve had serious File Explorer problems. I have finally (one hour ago) managed to virtually cheat my way round the problems. But has anyone else had problems of any kind following installation of January’s 1903 patches? Or might it have something to do with the build: 18362.592?

• #2087678 Reply

JLamede
      AskWoody Plus

Oops! Just for clarification, the odd codes in my previous posting are the unexpected result of pasting figures from one of my emails. Ignore ’em; apologies!

• #2087679 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Use the “Text” tab in the entry box when you copy/paste. You can see and remove the HTML coding. 🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2087809 Reply

anonymous

It’s less likely that I’ll be installing any thing other than the Dec 2019 SSU and whatever comes in Jan 2020 that’s 7 and SO and does not have any added telemetry/etc.

I’m thinking that even the Jan 2020 SSU is not going to be installed as there will most likely be no Feb 2020 updates for non enterprise/volume licensing 7 end users(Consumers). But I’ll have decide on that Jan 2020 SSU for sure at a later time.

I have skipped the Windows 7 Dec 2019 SSU(For Now) , the SO update with the nagware, and the Dec 2019 IE cumulative update as well as there is the IE 11 cumulative update for Jan 2020 at 7’s EOL that’s having all that came before as far as IE is concerned. It’s just a matter of waiting to see if Jan 2020’s Windows 7 SO  is actually SO and lacks any non SO nagware/telemetry that’s unwanted and will remain uninstalled.

So it’s Dec 2019’s SSU and then whatever Jan 2020 SO(Telemetry/other nonsense free)  and IE cumulative update before its done with 7 updating for the most part on 4 laptops.

• #2087890 Reply

igno11
      AskWoody Plus

I posted this elsewhere on the site, but it disappeared, and the problem remains. Back last summer, I but the bullet and migrated to Win10 Pro. Following instructions I’d read on this site, I used group policy settings to prevent auto updates. But since then I have made no manual updates because I cannot figure out how to change settings such that I can pick and choose. I am sure this is pretty basic, but could someone please walk me through the process? Thanks!

• #2087894 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

I generally DON’T recommend that people use Group Policy to pause updates – for exactly this reason.

There are many ways you can mess with Group Policy to block updates. Fortunately, there’s an easy way to get most of the problems ironed out, most of the time.

Use the Windows Update Troubleshooter. That’ll almost always get the cobwebs cleaned out.

I still recommend that you stick with Win10 version 1903, but getting there may be tough with the Troubleshooter in control.

• #2087901 Reply

igno11
          AskWoody Plus

Here is a screenshot. I am pretty sure all I need to do is change “disabled” to “enabled”, since that is all I originally changed. But then I imagine I’ll get an immediate update of everything I do and do not want, pronto. ??

Also, oops, it was end of October that I moved from Win 7 to Win 10+, not last summer. How time flies. No updates since Oct. 25. That’s a little easier to deal with. Where do I find a succinct list of updates that are a “yes” since then?

Screenshot-43

• #2087902 Reply

igno11
            AskWoody Plus

Looks like screenshot didn’t make it. Trying again here. I am on v. 1903.

Attachments:
            • #2087904 Reply

PKCano
              Da Boss

I would set ONLY the one GP setting that is linked in my post. The “2” only keeps the updates from downloading until you cleck the download button. The rest can be set in the GUI.
              There is really very little “pick and choose” to Win10 updating. You either update or you don’t.

• #2087919 Reply

igno11
          AskWoody Plus

Well how about that! I did end up needing to use Troubleshooter, it eliminated any remaining settings getting in the way of updates, and I still have v. 1903. Thank you so much.

Now is there a way to pick and choose updates, and if not, what is the value of Susan Bradley’s posts about what to install or not install?

• #2087920 Reply

PKCano
            Da Boss

Susan’s post about what to install is about what is SAFE to install and it is aimed at the businesses environment. Businesses have IT departments, test computers, and time constraints for patching. They can afford to install new patches early (be Beta testers/Guinea pigs) using the test machines. If they have a problem in the test environment, it doesn’t affect operations. They may also have a deadline to get the updates deployed company-wide.

The comsumer, on the other hand, is in a different position. Many home users have ONE machine. If they install a bad patch and it borks the machine, they are up a creek. So Woody has the DEFCON system – we wait a while until the problems are reported so we know what to expect. When the DEFCON number is 3 or above, Woody posts information of safe patching with a summary of where the problems are (and aren’t).

BUT, there is little picking and choosing in Windows 10. The updates are Cumulative, you either patch or don’t patch depending if the patch is safe or not.

• #2088029 Reply

igno11
              AskWoody Plus

So you keep delaying updates until you get the green light, and then revert to auto-updating?

• #2088037 Reply

Alex5723
              AskWoody Plus

So you keep delaying updates until you get the green light, and then revert to auto-updating?

You always delay even after green light updates as to block Microsoft’s patch C, D….preview.

• #2088069 Reply

woody
              Da Boss

You always delay even after green light updates as to block Microsoft’s patch C, D….preview.

If you’re running Win10 1903 or 1909, I’m very happy to report, that isn’t necessary.

MS doesn’t push the “optional, non-security” Win10 updates any more. You have to specifically click on the link to “Download and install now.”

• #2087895 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

You can use wushowhide.diagcab to hide and unhide updates.

These are the settings I use in Win10. If you have version 1903 or 1909, Semi-Annual Channel no longer exists, but everything elsa is the same.
        Settings in the GUI under Update & Security\Windows Update\Advanced settings.
        Settings in Group Policy.

To find the posts you have made, click on the link that is your User ID under your Avatar. It will take to your Profile where there are links to the posts and topics you have created.

• #2111270 Reply

280park
      AskWoody Plus

Woody wrote:

I generally DON’T recommend that people use Group Policy to pause updates – for exactly this reason.

I just purchased a Windows 10 Pro computer for personal use. This is the first Pro version of Windows that I have ever worked with. I have been reading about using Group Policy to better control the Windows update function on AskWoody but have not yet decided whether to use it.

Could you elaborate on your statement that you generally don’t recomment using it to pause updates?

• #2111403 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Group Policies, at this point, are complex – many settings don’t work the way they used to, and the documentation hasn’t caught up with the reality.

It’s much, much simpler to just Pause Updates.

• #2111418 Reply

Susan Bradley
          AskWoody MVP

In a business setting, I use group policy to push off updates to the weekend and push off feature updates.  In the cases where (and I think that finally settled down) where by group policy was the only consistent way to defer feature updates rather than the gui, group policy was the way to go.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #2111427 Reply

280park
          AskWoody Plus

Thank you for that additional information.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  280park.
          • #2111434 Reply

Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

Please use the Thanks button at the bottom of the post instead of creating a new post.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: 2020 patching starts with a bang!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.