News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• 20H2 Upgrade Killed Logitech Mouse/KB

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 20H2 Upgrade Killed Logitech Mouse/KB

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Ned Swartz
        AskWoody Plus

I upgraded a Dell laptop from 1909 (Home) to 20H2.  Now Logitech Unifying receiver shows in Devices and Printers when the receiver (dongle) is plugged in but Logitech Unifying software says there is no receiver.  Also, receiver does not appear in Device Manager.  Paired mouse and keyboard appear dead yet when receiver is moved to other PCs it is recognized immediately and paired devices work fine.

I’ve searched for a week for a solution (e.g., updated drivers) without success.  I’ve run out of ideas and tired of removing and reinstalling  and fearful of installing unknown files from unknown sources.  The new installation of 20H2 seems to be problem free otherwise so I’d prefer not to reinstall it.  I wonder if a registry key is off.

Airrefueler

Susan Bradley
        Manager

What version/era of mouse? You’ve deleted the driver from the device manager and then downloaded the software directly from Logitech for that mouse combo?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
        bratkinson
        AskWoody Plus

I long ago learned to keep the device drivers for my computer and laptop spinning on their respective computers.  All installation CDs and downloads are also spinning.  Twice in the past couple of years, Mickeysoft updates have wiped out one or more of my devices…everything from the external mouse on my laptop to the sound on my desktop.  Putting back the original drivers solved the problem.

And my Intel-based laptop (1st Intel processor I’ve owned in at least 30 years!), Mickeysofts’ Intel updates screwed that up, too!  Fortunately, I had created a restore point just before ‘unlocking’ my laptop to Mickeysofts’ wiles, so I simply restored afterward and then blocked the Intel updates.  In ten words or less, what BUSINESS is it of Mickeysoft to update proprietary device drivers for equipment that isn’t theirs?  I should have known better up front.

GoneToPlaid
          AskWoody Plus

I do the same. I store all hardware drivers in a non-indexed folder and non-indexed subfolders on the OS hard drive so that I can reinstall them if needed. In this way, my drivers are never touched by any System Restore points and instead remain intact. I never accept hardware drivers from Windows Update. Instead and if needed, I always get the latest drivers directly from the hardware OEMs instead of from Windows Update.

Ascaris
          AskWoody_MVP

In ten words or less, what BUSINESS is it of Mickeysoft to update proprietary device drivers for equipment that isn’t theirs? I should have known better up front.

I can answer it in four words: Windows as a service.

Ever since Windows was recast as a service, any concerns about equipment not being theirs have gone out of the window (no pun intended). It’s all part of the “service” MS now provides for “you.” And if you want to use the platform that MS painstakingly built up as the only game in town for 30 years by not doing things like this, you had better agree to their terms. They’ve altered the deal… pray they do not alter it further.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.21.5 User Edition)

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

My Logitech M705 Marathon and USB Receiver “survived” the upgrade to 20H2.
        I don’t use any Logitech software (Firmware, SetPoint…) as I haven’t found the need.
        Drivers were auto-installed, the mouse works fine with light-speed scrolling..

joep517
        AskWoody MVP

I see you are understandably tired of uninstalling and reinstalling. Have you used something like the portable  Download Revo Uninstaller Free – Remove unwanted programs easily? You should be able to thoroughly clean your system of Logitech software and registry settings.

Be sure you have the installation file handy before beginning the uninstall process.

--Joe

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: 20H2 Upgrade Killed Logitech Mouse/KB

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.