News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• 20H2 Upgrade Resets Secure Boot And F12

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 20H2 – October 2020 Update 20H2 Upgrade Resets Secure Boot And F12

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        Arctic_Eddie
        AskWoody Lounger

I’m trying to do the backup image on an Acer A315-41 laptop before installing the Feb updates. I was unable to get the F12 boot function to work. After entering the BIOS setup, I discovered that the 20H2 upgrade had reset the secure boot to enabled and the F12 function to disabled. I’ve reset both items and now it boots my CloneZilla stick. This is a heads up note for others having imaging problems with bootable sticks after an upgrade.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

It’s more likely secure boot will always have been like that. It is the default for an OEM Windows installation.

I leave secure boot on and only use backup software that has a WinPE rescue disk.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
          bbearren
          AskWoody MVP

It’s more likely secure boot will always have been like that. It is the default for an OEM Windows installation. I leave secure boot on and only use backup software that has a WinPE rescue disk.

FWIW, using Image for Windows I’m able to run their tbwinre.cmd script to install Image for Windows in the Windows Recovery Environment, which I have relocated from its MSR partition on the System Drive to a separate, dedicated partition on a different SSD, and added Windows Recovery Environment to my boot menu.

I do have a bootable USB Rescue stick, but I’ll only need it if both Windows and Windows Recovery Environment are not bootable, which is doubtful unless I have a motherboard problem—which would be a wholly different scenario.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
          "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
          "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by bbearren. Reason: typo
        Arctic_Eddie
        AskWoody Lounger

On the desktop PC, I’m using Macrium Reflect Free as the SSD is not recognized by Clonezilla. The two laptops use a normal platter drive so I’m using Clonezilla, along with all previous PCs. Some of them would take 30 minutes up to 2 hrs. Yesterday, I added MRF to the laptops so all are now using the same method for partition imaging. The only thing I’m unsure of is whether a bootable recovery stick made on one PC will work on the other two. I suspect I need a stick for each one due to different drivers and hardware. Can someone confirm?

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

whether a bootable recovery stick made on one PC will work on the other two

The drivers used are either part of WinPE or added by Macrium.
        I find that a rescue USB created on the latest hardware generally works on older hardware, but you need to test.

cheers, Paul

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Paul T.
        Arctic_Eddie
        AskWoody Lounger

I have a rescue stick created on a V1903 desktop. I can try it on a V20H2 laptop later today.

Arctic_Eddie
        AskWoody Lounger

The V1903 desktop stick would not boot in a V20H2 laptop of the same brand, Acer Aspire. It got to the F12 boot selection but stalled at the Acer splash screen. I’m going to buy a separate stick for each PC with a rescue program created on and for each one. That should eliminate any problem between drivers and hardware. The two laptops might interchange since they’re the same brand and model purchased about three months apart and have the same version of Win10.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Create a rescue USB on the laptop and try booting the desktop. Does it work?

cheers, Paul

Arctic_Eddie
        AskWoody Lounger

Did not work, never got past the boot select and stuck on the splash screen. The build message shows it collecting drivers for various hardware. The laptops are AMD and 1T platter drives and the desktop is Intel and 500GB SSD. There’s just too many differences in hardware and associated drivers. Even the unseen partitions may be different between 1903 and 20H2. It’s just much safer to have a stick for each PC.

Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: 20H2 Upgrade Resets Secure Boot And F12

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.