News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• 3.8 billion Clubhouse and Facebook user records for sale

Home » Forums » Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories » 3.8 billion Clubhouse and Facebook user records for sale

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Author
    Topic

3.8 billion Clubhouse and Facebook user records allegedly scraped and merged, put for sale online

A user on a popular hacker forum is selling a database that purportedly contains 3.8 billion user records.
    The database was allegedly compiled by combining 3.8 billion phone numbers from a previously scraped Clubhouse ‘secret database’ with users’ Facebook profiles.
    The compilation appears to include names, phone numbers, and other data.
    The poster is asking $100,000 for the full database of 3.8 billion entries but is also willing to split the archive into smaller portions for potential buyers….

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

Thanks for the heads-up. These reports are useful. I’ve never been on Clubhouse. And I’ve never given Phaithbook a phone number. But this incident lends more a little more encouragement to my recent idea of having a dedicated e-mail address for each on-line service:  If it gets hacked it’s not a big deal.

Finance, social and tech founder. Managing director of new crowd sourced games in pre-release development. Director on a new consortium to bring fractional ownership of heritage antiquities to the blockchain. My planet-wide talk show for people craving new stories by which to live is Casual Saints.

Michel Austin (I have kept calling you “Soul Rider”, my bad): I think multiple addresses for multiple sites where one has opened accounts is a good idea, if a little awkward to use, but less awkward than getting all of one’s personal info vacuumed away for the profit of crooks.

By the way, I am not a member of those two places mentioned by Alex at the start of this thread, or have had knowingly anything to do with them.

I wrote the last statement, just now, and I hope that I am not stoking too much other people’s paranoia, as I explain this, because one does not need to put personal information in a place that is then burglarized, to have some of it stolen: if a friend, or anyone interested in one posts such information, even is one is unawares of it, in something like “Facebook”, well … think of it. And, please, don’t freak out too much.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
        Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
        Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

a little more encouragement to my recent idea of having a dedicated e-mail address for each on-line service:  If it gets hacked it’s not a big deal.

And a dedicated phone number ?

That too.  (Imaginary, figure-it-out-yourself emoji here).

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
        Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
        Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: 3.8 billion Clubhouse and Facebook user records for sale

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.