News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • 3 yrs Update backlog — win 8.1 mini-tablet

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Questions: Win 8.1 (and Win 8) 3 yrs Update backlog — win 8.1 mini-tablet

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author

anonymous

Hi
      I have a Windows 8.1 – Toshiba Encore Mini 7″ Tablet that’s been sitting idle in a drawer for 3 years. The system has 16G storage and 1G RAM. I would like to now start using this tablet. I am very wary of running Windows Update on this tiny machine for a 3 year backlog of updates. Is there another way out of this?

Thanks for the help
      PeterG

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #170630 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Any way you perform the updates will take a long time. I’d connect it to the power and let it run – what’s an extra couple of days? 🙂

cheers, Paul

• #170652 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Well last Win 8.1 update I did, almost, from scratch was Rev3 with the big updates already included. KB3000850 etc and that came in at approx. 1.75 GB, not expecting quite that many for a Mini Tablet but alas your probably better doing as @PaulT says and leaving it plugged in for a couple of days. Chances are if its only 3 years it’ll already have some of the big ones installed already, entirely possible maybe 4 hours down time max. Not really much help for which I apologise. Never had a Mini Win8.1 before.

• #170655 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

How much free space do you have on the storage drive. If you fill up the drive the tablet may not work.

You should backup any User data you have on it then maybe delete the User files (not the folders like My Docs, My Pics – just the documents and pictures themselves).

You may have to run the updates a few at a time if you don’t have much room, and do DiskCleanup and cleanup System Files\Windows Update Cleanup in between. Maybe you also need to download CCleaner and clean up the temp and log files that Disk Cleanup misses.

Just be careful the small storage space doesn’t get completely full.

• #170697 Reply

anonymous

Based on the specs it’s not compatible with windows 8.1 without a storage upgrade (32GB min), and will run like junk without more ram (4GB possible?).

If I had the actual model number it might be possible to look up compatible upgrades.

Not a fan of toshiba to begin with and the existence of this device doesn’t help any.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #170705 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Could this be Win8 RT instead of Win8.1?

• #170716 Reply

anonymous

Good point, I couldn’t verify either way but it seemed to not be RT. I did find some windows binary drivers downloads for some ‘encore mini’ models, which means those can’t be RT, but I don’t have the OP’s exact model number.

• #170721 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

Hmm looking about online, it looks like the memory is hard soldered on the device, therefor no memory upgrade possible. As previously mentioned, just update it and let it do it’s thing over a few hours (if WU actually works).

Have you thought about putting a light linux distro on it?

Done that with an old 2010 netbook and works quicker than W7 ever did (intel atom based also)

Worth considering should W8 run like a pig after updates..

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #170738 Reply

RamRod
      AskWoody Lounger

What do you gain by updating? What is the largest downside? Store your data in the cloud or update daily to a thumb/external HD. Then if a bad nasty gets you you’re out what?

Why do we all (save me, no, save me!) act like lemmings when it comes to updates? Especially now with the quality of MS updates?

Don’t update it is my advice. Turn off automatic updates. Maybe let it tell you what is out there as far as updates go. You could cherry pick if you really can’t kick the habit.

I’m serious.

Thanks.

• #170915 Reply

anonymous

Reporting back ….The tablet had a little over 5G of free space and no personal files. So I plugged it in, crossed my fingers, and ran WU. It ran for about 3.5 hours and seems to be fine now. (My friend says it has to be a “stripped-down” version of win 8.1 to fit on this machine?) I’m not very tech and I just plan to use this tablet for goofing around.
      I am very appreciative of the help and will definitely become a supporting member of this site.

PeterG

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: 3 yrs Update backlog — win 8.1 mini-tablet

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.