News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • 3125574 Installation date/order matter?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 3125574 Installation date/order matter?

Topic Resolution: Not Resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

GoneToPlaid 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

owdrtn
      AskWoody Lounger

I’ve noticed recently that WUA is pushing me many 3125574-superseded KBs. (KBs that should officially have been superseded by SP2).

KB3125574 was installed CIRCA Q4-2017 (which is quite long ago).. Could a reinstallation solve this issue ?
      I recall having used the “Re-Add” SP2 feature of KUC in the past month.. but it seems that it didn’t actually re-installed it (or at least not so that WUA detect it).

Advices needed.

• #1713386 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

@owdrtn-

There was some discussion about supersedence and KB 3125574 in Post #179499 by Ch100, back in 2018.

I consider that at a minimum, regardless of any new CU or not being released, KB3125574 should be either made mainstream or discontinued, to avoid supersedence issues.

It does sound like you are experiencing the supersedence issues between KB 3125574 and Windows Update… as Windows Update does not recognize KB 3125574. Also, if you use Disk Cleanup, it may use a different logic to remove superseded updates that causes them to be re-offered by Windows Update, which are then removed, and then re-offered repeatedly.

(I’m adding that I’m quoting an authority, and this is not something I personally know about).

There were some quite extensive discussions on supersedence by @mrbrian and @ch100, that I can remember, that you may be able to search for using the Lounge search. Also, @gonetoplaid may have more detailed information. I just noticed that this topic had yet to be addressed, and hope that those with more expertise in this area might join in and help you out…

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #1727661 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Plus

Some updates are not properly coded in terms of listing updates which they supersede. The result is that after running a disk cleanup, older updates which have been superseded will get offered again by Windows Update. This happened to me. Windows Update offered me around a half dozen really old updates after I ran a disk cleanup.

The solution is to go ahead and download the older updates and install them. When the updates install, they will not overwrite any superseded files, yet Windows Update will now “see” those older updates as being installed even though they have been superseded. It is preferable to follow this procedure instead of hiding updates which you know have been superseded.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: 3125574 Installation date/order matter?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.