News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • 35 years later, no more Toshiba PC’s

Posted on Microfix Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box 35 years later, no more Toshiba PC’s

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Since 1985’s chunky T1100, Toshiba have been selling desktops and laptops for the worldwide marketplace. From 17 million devices sold in 2011 to 1.9 million sold in 2017, between this timeline in 2016 Toshiba stopped making laptops/PC’s for the European Market and in 2020 have now sold their last remaining 19.9% shares in Dynabook to Sharp.

The Official announcement made earlier this month:
        http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2020_08/pr0401.htm

source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53721016

I had a Toshiba Business Tecra that shipped with WinXP for years until 2011 🙁

Win8.1 Pro x64 + Linux Hybrids x86/x64 + Win7 Pro x86/64 O/L
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2287765 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

The first PC I bought, in 1998, was a laptop Toshiba Satellite 4015CDa running Windows 98. It weighed some 4.5 lbs and I lugged it from the USA to Denmark, in Denmark, then back to the US, over a total of six months, in 1999, during a working visit at the Technical University of Denmark in Lyngby, near Copenhagen. It worked just fine until I replaced it, in 2005, with an IBM laptop running Windows XP. I bought that first computer because of the glowing reports on Toshiba laptops from colleagues and friends that had them. I needed something for my work, which then, same as and now, involved developing special software (for lack of any practical alternatives) to process data for my research and then doing with it the data analysis and all the considerably number-crunching this involved. It did the job and its hardware gave me no trouble at all (any trouble I had using it was caused by the bugs in Win 98). It was a nice machine built to last. It deserved to run something better than Windows 98.

I am surprised to hear of the decision made by the managers of Toshiba to get out of the PC business, particularly at a time when laptops, in particular, are selling quite well, because of the number of people working from home that recently could do it in a norml office using the computers already installed there for their use.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2287797 Reply
        Myst
        AskWoody Plus

I have a 2011 Toshiba PC running Win7 and love it, never had any issues. Not using it much via the Internet these days but it makes for a fine workhorse on special projects.

Win7 SP1 Home x64, MacOS / Chromebook

• #2287801 Reply
        ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

My first computing experience, in late 1985/early 1986, was with a Toshiba T 1100.  It weighed over 4 kg, had an external 5.25 in drive that weighed at least as much again.  The OS was on a 3.5 in disk, which also had a copy of Wordstar and of Multiplan, a couple of computing dead-ends.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: 35 years later, no more Toshiba PC’s

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.