• 6000003 Registry keys and group policy settings to select specific feature

Home » Forums » Knowledge Base » 6000003 Registry keys and group policy settings to select specific feature

Author
    Topic

To stay on specific versions of Windows 10 using registry keys:

Download any of these links to your computer. It will keep your system at that specific release until it is end of life on that platform.

Click here to install the Registry key to install to stay on Windows 10 2004
    (note this version is only supported until December of 2021)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    “TargetReleaseVersion”=dword:00000001
    “ProductVersion”=”Windows 10”
    “TargetReleaseVersionInfo”=”2004”

Click here to install the Registry key to install to stay on Windows 10 20H2

“TargetReleaseVersionInfo”=”20H2”

Click here to install the Registry key to install to stay on Windows 10 21H1

“TargetReleaseVersionInfo”=”21H1”

Click here to install the Registry key to install to stay on Windows 10 21H2

“TargetReleaseVersionInfo”=”21H2”

Click here to install the Registry key to install Windows 10 22H2 when it comes out

“TargetReleaseVersionInfo”=”22H2”

To reset the values – and blank out the version do the following:

“TargetReleaseVersion”=-
    “TargetReleaseVersionInfo”=-

Click here to download the registry key to reset these values

To move to a specific version of Windows 11

Click here to install the Registry key to install to move to Windows 11 or stay on 21H2

“ProductVersion”=”Windows 11”
    “TargetReleaseVersionInfo”=”21H2”

To use group policy to do the same change (assuming you have Windows 10 professional):

To use Group policy on Windows 10 to stay on Windows 10:

If you have group policy on Windows 10 Professional, drill down to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update>Windows update for business. Look for “Select the target Feature Update Version.” Click to enable it and enter Windows 10 in the box, “Which Windows product would you like to receive feature updates for? E.g. Windows 10.”

To use Group policy to move to Windows 11 while on Windows 10:

If you have group policy on Windows 10 Professional, drill down to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update>Windows update for business. Look for “Select the target Feature Update Version.” Click to enable it and enter Windows 11 in the box, “Which Windows product would you like to receive feature updates for? E.g. Windows 11.”

Note:  Steve Gibson has posted up a new GUI program that does similarly:

https://www.grc.com/incontrol.htm

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Attachments:
    Viewing 21 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

What is the Registry keys if you need to reset back to normal?

Just remove the entries.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Rather than directly edit the registry, can I used the reset.reg provided by the forum before to reset it back for normal?

To use Group policy to move to Windows 11 while on Windows 10:

If you have group policy on Windows 10 Professional, drill down to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update>Windows update for business. Look for “Select the target Feature Update Version.” Click to enable it and enter Windows 10 in the box, “Which Windows product would you like to receive feature updates for? E.g. Windows 11.”

Just to let you know, since the instructions are for moving to Windows 11 while on Windows 10, I believe that the bolded text in the quote above should read “… and enter Windows 11 in the box.”

1 user thanked author for this post.
      b

Hi Susan. I used your link to download and execute the file which changes my registry for keeping my Win10 at 21H1. Thank you for making this easy to do.

Concerning the registry hack for 21H1 (or any of them), how are the .reg files applied to the Registry?

Just click, you’ll get a warning that the file will impact your registry, it then adds it in the proper spot.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

I have not upgraded to 21H1. Can I install the Registry key to stay on Windows 10 21H1 before upgrading to 21H1?

Yes. It’s a Target Release Version.

Windows 11 Pro version 22H2 build 22621.900 + Microsoft 365/Edge

Thank you. I was not aware of this feature, but now I’m reading about it.

I just used your helpful instructions to set the Windows 10 Target Version to 21H2 via Group Policy.  If and when I decide to stop specifying a Target Version, which would I pick — Disabled or Not Configured?  Or does it matter?

I normally pick not configured when I want to reset it back to “as shipped”

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.

You can just leave Windows 10 and clear version if you want to stay on Windows 10.
        You have a year until the next feature update (22H2)
        Change to Windows 11 if you want to upgrade.

Hi. Just wondering–my new laptop came with WIN 11. Can I use the listed WIN 11 upgrade keys to maintain the existing 21H2 version?

Casey H.

Yes, set TargetReleaseVersion (TRV) to “21H2” and ProductVersion to “Windows 11” (without quotes) using either Group Policy (Win11 Pro) or using the Registry settings (Win11 Home) with the .reg file or manual editing.

When you need to change version, change the “21H2” to whatever version you want.

Somehow I’ve lost the “drill down” info to use policy to set the windows update target release version limit. I thought it started with Windows Administrative Tools but I don’t see what should be next. There isn’t a Computer Configuration option to drill down to. Computer Management doesn’t offer the templates. So, starting at the top, how does one drill down to set the limit? Does one start at Windows Administrative Tools still?

Edit: OK. Should have entered Group Policy in search window. Rough start today and sorry for the “rookie” brain fart. Thanks all for the assistance. Sometimes the obvious is too obvious for me.

gpedit is the starting point.

A better starting point is by reading Susan’s original post on this very thread

the location is already described

I have been trying from her original. I saved the link previously.

If you have group policy on Windows 10 Professional, drill down to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update>Windows update for business. Look for “Select the target Feature Update Version.

On my computer there is no longer a Computer Configuration option. Nor is there a higher level Group Policy option. See file Clipboard01 for what I have. I’ve tried Component Services, Computer Management, and System Configuration looking for Computer Configuration or something similar that would then display Administrative Templates.

Attachments:

A better starting point is by reading Susan’s original post on this very thread

the location is already described

It has directions but they should start with gpedit.

Look for TargetReleaseVersion under Windows Update in Group Policy

Ok. Entered Group Policy in search box.

In the searchbox: gpedit – hit Enter. In Win10 Pro (not in Home)

Somehow I’ve lost the “drill down” info to use policy to set the windows update target release version limit.

Use InControl

Thank you for this!

Hello Susan,

This is in reference to MS-DEFCON 2 alert on 2022-09-08. In the Consumers and home users section, the last highlighted part of the “Start” instructions is “Advanced updates”. I don’t know if Dell altered their version of Win 10 Settings, but I don’t see “Advanced updates” in the available choices. The closest that comes to it is “Advanced options”, which takes me to the update information.

Right now I am on 21H2, and still have the August updates paused until 2022-09-12. If you gave the okay for installing the August updates, I must have missed it. Should I install August updates so I can then delay the September updates?

Thanks for you valuable information. Without it most of Win10 would be a mystery.

Correct between now and Tuesday as long as bitlocker is not enabled, you can install the updates.

It should be advanced options, clearly the 111+ temps are frying my brain this week.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

No idea why this happened, but I have a standalone copy of Word Home and Student, it’s all I need now that I’m retired. But the August updates erased every evidence of it’s existence. It took NINE hours on the phone with Microsoft over two days, to finally get to a tech with enough experience to figure out what was wrong. The “store” people tried to install a version of 365, that couldn’t find my .docx files and only connected to One Drive, even though the .exe file WAS there. She went in and deleted two registry entries, and viola, I had my original standalone copy of Word back. Pretty sure it was the August updates as after them I could no longer find, nor open Word, nor redownload it from the store. Sigh. Nine hours…

Hi Susan,

Thank you so much for your help. The August Win 10 updates installed with no problems, and I set five weeks delay for the September updates.

Best Regards, CMH

Your email says, “Using any of these Registry keys will keep the systems on 22H1 and prevent 22H2 from installing.”.  However, I don’t see a key for staying on 22H1.  Latest is 21H2.

“Using any of these Registry keys will keep the systems on 22H1 and prevent 22H2 from installing.”

That should have read:
        Using any of these Registry keys will keep the systems on 21H2 and prevent 22H2 from installing.

It has been corrected on the main page here on the site.
        Unfortunately, the Alerts cannot be resent.

That should have read:
          Using any of these Registry keys will keep the systems on 21H2 and prevent 22H2 from installing.

That’s exactly what I’m looking for

It has been corrected on the main page here on the site.

Yeah, I tried looking for it on the main page and couldn’t find it.

The reason I’m going on about it is that I’m going to need it here in the next few weeks when I get back from my trip, and I wanted to bookmark that correction for future use

Hi Susan,

I have been OK up to date by closing the Windows update to the end of each month, at the Start of the Month due to Australia being a day head of your zone on UTC, but now I am lost as I have one Windows 10 Pro and one windows 10 Home, both on version 21H2.

Please, how do I turn off the the windows Update Lock which is now on?

Also, can I leave the Windows  Lock on and still follow your instructions with the links to each of my laptops?

Do I have to follow each of the instructions, or just click the links in the appropriate Laptop?

Roger3

Hello,

So how do you prevent Win11 Pro 22H1 from upgrading to 22H2?

I don’t see a registry key up above.

Thanks

I installed the InControl utility about 3 weeks ago and it is ‘locked on’ to Win10 Home 21H2, until I release it. Therefore I assume I don’t need to apply Registry keys as well?

Appreciate any advice on this.

regards

GeoffB

Therefore I assume I don’t need to apply Registry keys as well?

Appreciate any advice on this.

Correct.

1. Being very limited in my Computer Knowledge, I once again ask, is this for Both Windows 10 Home and Pro?
      2. I have Windows 10 Version 21H2 on each laptop and neither will accept Windows 11.
      3. Do I have to do anything besides use the link for Windows above or do I just open my Windows delay and use the appropriate link?
      4. As I am limited I would appreciate advice from a moderator.

See the first Post at the top of this thread – lables designate what is for Win10 and what is for Win11.

Registry changes work for both Home Edition and Pro Edition. Group Policy is only availavel in Pro Edition.

Don’t forget you made changes. When it’s time to move to the next version of Windows, you have to change the Registry entries to the correct values to make the changes.

Managers, I have read the replies, above and find that rereading the alert and with my ancient Laptop, I should not have to do anything until I receive the SMS that I can go again.

• Very sorry, but was TMI for a still learner at 80 Years of age.

Yeah, I’ve found that instead of messing with the registry keys, using Steve Gibson’s InControl utility (linked up at the top) looks like the best, most easiest solution for most people.

Question on TargetReleaseVersion.  Should it be set to decimal or hexadecimal in the registry?

“TargetReleaseVersionInfo”=”22H2”

Thanks

Custom Build - Intel i5 9400 5 Core CPU & ASUS TUF Z390 Plus Motherboard
      Edition Windows 10 Home
      Version 22H2
      OS build 19045.2251

Neither. It is a String Value. (“H” is neither decimal or Hex)

Neither. It is a String Value. (“H” is neither decimal or Hex)

I am using Windows 10 Home I don’t see “String Value” as an option – only hex or decimal

Edition Windows 10 Home
      Version 22H2
      OS build 19045.2251

It’s there. Look again.

Screen-Shot-2022-10-19-at-9.13.45-AM

So I have to create a brand new TargetReleaseVersion in order to get a String Value – since my current TargetReleaseVersion is set to hex?

Edition Windows 10 Home
      Version 22H2
      OS build 19045.2251

Attachments:

NO.

Your TargetReleaseVersion is set to Hex “1” = ON (means you want to use it)
        Your TargetReleaseVersionInfo  should be set to String Value “21H2” or “22H2” (whichever you want) b/c it is a string, (neither Decimal nor Hex).

Your current TargetReleaseVersionInfo is already a string value!

REG_SZ = String value
             REG_BINARY = Binary value
              REG_DWORD = 32-bit Hex value
              REG_QWORD = 64-bit Hex value
           REG_MULTI_SZ = A sequence of "null-terminated" strings (i.e. String1\0String2\0String3\0LastString\0\0)
          REG_EXPAND_SZ = A string containing a reference to an environment variable (i.e. %PATH%)

Got it.  Right now Info is set to 21H2 and I will update to 22H2 whenever AskWoody gives the go ahead.  Thanks

Edition Windows 10 Home
      Version 22H2
      OS build 19045.2251

Viewing 21 reply threads
    Reply To: 6000003 Registry keys and group policy settings to select specific feature

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: