News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• 6000003 Registry keys and group policy settings to select specific feature

Home » Forums » Knowledge Base » 6000003 Registry keys and group policy settings to select specific feature

Author
    Topic

To stay on specific versions of Windows 10 using registry keys:

Download any of these links to your computer. It will keep your system at that specific release until it is end of life on that platform.

Click here to install the Registry key to install to stay on Windows 10 2004
    (note this version is only supported until December of 2021)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    “TargetReleaseVersion”=dword:00000001
    “ProductVersion”=”Windows 10”
    “TargetReleaseVersionInfo”=”2004”

Click here to install the Registry key to install to stay on Windows 10 20H2

“TargetReleaseVersionInfo”=”20H2”

Click here to install the Registry key to install to stay on Windows 10 21H1

“TargetReleaseVersionInfo”=”21H1”

Click here to install the Registry key to install to stay on Windows 10 21H2

“TargetReleaseVersionInfo”=”21H2”

To move to a specific version of Windows 11

Click here to install the Registry key to install to move to Windows 11

“ProductVersion”=”Windows 11”
    “TargetReleaseVersionInfo”=”21H2”

To use group policy to do the same change (assuming you have Windows 10 professional):

To use Group policy on Windows 10 to stay on Windows 10:

If you have group policy on Windows 10 Professional, drill down to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update>Windows update for business. Look for “Select the target Feature Update Version.” Click to enable it and enter Windows 10 in the box, “Which Windows product would you like to receive feature updates for? E.g. Windows 10.”

To use Group policy to move to Windows 11 while on Windows 10:

If you have group policy on Windows 10 Professional, drill down to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update>Windows update for business. Look for “Select the target Feature Update Version.” Click to enable it and enter Windows 11 in the box, “Which Windows product would you like to receive feature updates for? E.g. Windows 11.”

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

13 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

What is the Registry keys if you need to reset back to normal?

Just remove the entries.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Rather than directly edit the registry, can I used the reset.reg provided by the forum before to reset it back for normal?

You can do that as well.  I’ll also add it to this section.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

To use Group policy to move to Windows 11 while on Windows 10:

If you have group policy on Windows 10 Professional, drill down to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update>Windows update for business. Look for “Select the target Feature Update Version.” Click to enable it and enter Windows 10 in the box, “Which Windows product would you like to receive feature updates for? E.g. Windows 11.”

Just to let you know, since the instructions are for moving to Windows 11 while on Windows 10, I believe that the bolded text in the quote above should read “… and enter Windows 11 in the box.”

1 user thanked author for this post.
      b

Hi Susan. I used your link to download and execute the file which changes my registry for keeping my Win10 at 21H1. Thank you for making this easy to do.

Concerning the registry hack for 21H1 (or any of them), how are the .reg files applied to the Registry?

Just click, you’ll get a warning that the file will impact your registry, it then adds it in the proper spot.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

I have not upgraded to 21H1. Can I install the Registry key to stay on Windows 10 21H1 before upgrading to 21H1?

Yes. It’s a Target Release Version.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1387 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

Thank you. I was not aware of this feature, but now I’m reading about it.

I just used your helpful instructions to set the Windows 10 Target Version to 21H2 via Group Policy.  If and when I decide to stop specifying a Target Version, which would I pick — Disabled or Not Configured?  Or does it matter?

I normally pick not configured when I want to reset it back to “as shipped”

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

You can just leave Windows 10 and clear version if you want to stay on Windows 10.
        You have a year until the next feature update (22H2)
        Change to Windows 11 if you want to upgrade.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    Reply To: 6000003 Registry keys and group policy settings to select specific feature

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.