News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • 8.1 WUD That Are Really Necessary

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Windows 8.1 (and Win 8) patches 8.1 WUD That Are Really Necessary

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 year ago.

• Author

anonymous

Are the following Windows Updates for 8.1  ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY? Thank You

KB43441454
      KB4344145

KB4344153

KB4343898

KB3044374

• #211738 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

KB43441454 = ?? too many digits 🙂

KB3044374 = If you wish to upgrade to W10 from W8.1

* KB4344153 = Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5 for Windows 8.1, RT 8.1, and Server 2012 R2 (August 2018)

* KB4343898 = Windows 8.1 Monthly Rollup Update (August 2018)

* On hold until MS-DEFCON raises to 3 or above, currently in AskWoody testing. My advice is to follow the Defcon system and patch when tested.

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #211981 Reply

anonymous

First I would like to say I was so excited that someone actually answered me & so quickly ( : I have been to other similar sites & never found what I was looking for along with NO responses. Thank you for your advice.

Although since I had already installed KB4344153 & KB4343898 I uninstalled them after reading your message. Mind you I wasn’t having any problems with them after I had installed, I just wasn’t too sure if I should have since I couldn’t find much after researching. Anyway since I have uninstalled these 2 updates after my PC reboots it NOW installs some other update that I have never seen. I did this for an hour. I would uninstall an unfamiliar update that I had NOT picked & it would uninstall but would install a totally different update in its place. i.e. I uninstalled KB4054519 & it was gone. But after the reboot I got update KB4048958 And I have my PC set to NEVER CHECK FOR UPDATES This has made me nuts this evening. lol Any ideas on what might have happened? Thank You

Sorry other update should have been KB4344145

• #211754 Reply

Noel Carboni
      AskWoody_MVP

Necessary in what sense?

Is your goal to run a system entirely without any further updates?
      Or get every security fix and ultimately upgrade to Windows 10?

There’s a case to be made, presuming you’re leaning more toward the former, to avoid updates that prepare a system for Windows 10 and send Microsoft telemetry to let them know your system is ready (or not), and perhaps also for avoiding the updates since December 2017 that chew up performance in the name of security.

Are you experiencing bugs you need fixed?

My point here is that there is no such thing as “ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY” that stands on its own.

-Noel

• #211982 Reply

anonymous

Again I am so excited to have another persons input to my question & WOW I Am Absolutely Impressed that someone of your stature would take the time to help us not so witty with PCs such as myself. Years ago I worked in IT & was lucky to be able to work along side & learn from other Intelligent Computer Technician Engineers like you. But unfortunately I have been out of that loop for 14yrs.

OK now in response to your question of my goal here….YOU are right I want to avoid those pesky updates. ( :
        I always have my PC set to NEVER CHECK FOR UPDATES. I prefer to do it manually myself because I am tired of Microsoft installing unnecessary updates that are more to benefit them with their research, which then in-turns bogs down my PC with all their controlling Apps. I upgraded to W10 at one time Absolutely hated it because I couldn’t figure out how to stop all their Auto Programs, Installs, Nosey Virtual Assistant (so to speak). Anyway my PC has never been the same. Its like Microsoft still has their nose in my info. & trying to control my PC. And as far as I know I uninstalled ALL those updates that were needed prior to upgrading to W10. I also bought a New PC w/W10 (before I new any better) a year ago & probably turned it on maybe 4 times. Alright now maybe you could read my response to the other person who answered me & maybe help me with the problem I now got that I didn’t have before. Thank you again so much for your time. BIG SMILE TO YOU!

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: 8.1 WUD That Are Really Necessary

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.