News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • A Brief Installation Scare!

Posted on petesmst Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by

petesmst 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

petesmst
      AskWoody Plus

Perhaps there’s a lesson to be learned from my experience?

Well, I finally decided to take a deep breath, back up my full system and update to version 1903. The update proceeded smoothly and then required a final bootup.

Horror!  My monitor screen was a complete hash of bright shimmering colours. I used my mouse to estimate where the start screen could be opened, and clicked. A shimmering start screen opened. I clicked in the bottom left-hand corner again and tried to guess where  “settings” were. I clicked, and the settings window opened, but only briefly, in white with black text, and then also changed to shimmering colours after about 20 seconds.

On an impulse, I reopened the setting screen and rushed to click on settings/display which opened for about 20 seconds and, before the shimmering recommenced, I clicked on Colour Profile and, once again on impulse, changed from the “calibrated monitor profile” that I had been using, to “sRGB display”. Relief! My normal monitor display appearance magically appeared.

I then set about testing my most important Apps and found that iCloud sync between Microsoft Outlook 365 and iCloud had failed. I uninstalled and then reinstalled iCloud for Windows and was able to set up syncing again.

Everything now seems to have settled down and to be working just fine.

So it seems that it might be wise to check whether you have a personally customised colour profile setup and to revert to a genetic profile before proceeding with the update to Windows 10 1903.

My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Mobo (Military Class V); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 500GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2016 Prof (32-bit); Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2019 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Dell S2417DG G-Sync UHD Monitor.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: A Brief Installation Scare!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.