News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • A New Look at an Old Security Catastrophe

Posted on Nibbled To Death By Ducks Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box The Junk Drawer A New Look at an Old Security Catastrophe

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author

The Equifax hack…I have a special place in my heart for these bozos, as this breach caused me a lot of grief…and apparently a lot of people in IT department, save the “Golden Parachute” Exec set; anyway, it’s a good read about Upper Management, IT Security, and why the two don’t seem to play together well in an article I missed three months ago. Lots of lessons in this one:

“At the conference centre, he and a handful of other staff were called aside by the global chief security officer. “[He] told us ‘there’s something I need to tell you and you’re going to need to be here indefinitely for the next couple of weeks’,” Mr Rimmer explains.

“In that meeting, where external counsel [lawyers] were also present, some of us were told ‘if you tell anyone else about this, you’ll be fired on the spot and walked off-site’.”

“It was then that the significance of the breach and the consequences for him and the IT security team began to sink in.”

Sad. What a corporate security culture!

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49823935

Reminds me a bit of:

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit ESU, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Patch List", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
        --
        "Just because you're an engineer doesn't mean you're good at everything." -Anonymous

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2138765 Reply
        Kirsty
        Da Boss

The Equifax security breach was discussed at length, at the time… and back in the news, now that arrests have been made.

• #2139020 Reply

Yep, it was…that’s why I put it in the “Junk Drawer”, as the indictments just came down…it just refreshed it in my alleged mind.

Oh, and I don’t think arrests were referenced in the article, just indictments of Chinese Nationals IN China, with whom we have no extradition treaties with for this sort of thing, unfortunately, AFAIK. We just can’t go and grab members of the PLA and drag them back here to stand trial.

No one would like to see them standing in the dock more than I, but I doubt the PLA are going to hand them over tied in a red ribbon.

Darn.

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit ESU, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Patch List", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
          --
          "Just because you're an engineer doesn't mean you're good at everything." -Anonymous

• #2139635 Reply
        DriftyDonN
        AskWoody Plus

FYI-Equifax owns Lifelock!!!!!!!

Equifax security questions- what do you do if the recording says you are wrong and MUST 1.Call- expect at least a 30 min wait. Then 2. You MUST send proof of your IDentity. I spent 2 DAYS trying to get a reasonable person on the phone who could actually do more than read rule 1 and rule 2. (1 Send ID) 2. See rule 1.

It was especially painful because I was part of the 2017 security breach( I lifted the credit freeze for 2 days!!!) All I wanted was to verify the freeze was put back on properly after a 24 hr lift. BTW, If you put a freeze on yourself and they gave you a pin #, it no longer works that way!. You have to get a real human on the phone and sign up for myequifax.com AND sign up for core credit program- no charge( they dont tell you that) and if you dont sign up for it you cannot access your account-Call!  yep, same #!!! Very upsetting when you are told you do not know your own house #, Phone #, zip code and ssan so you MUST send id!!

Screaming mad but I did not curse nor abuse for 2 days and 4 battery recharge cycle!!!

I feel better. Thanx

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by DriftyDonN.
        • #2139773 Reply
          jabeattyauditor
          AskWoody Lounger

FYI-Equifax owns Lifelock!!!!!!!

No, Lifelock is owned by the company formerly known as Symantec. (The current entity is known as NortonLifeLock, Inc. after a series of acquisitions and divestitures.)

• #2139841 Reply
            wavy
            AskWoody Plus

And law suites and fines…

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: A New Look at an Old Security Catastrophe

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.