News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• A quiet month of May

Home Forums AskWoody blog A quiet month of May

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

PATCH WATCH By Susan Bradley 21H1 is released. Quietly. With no fuss. The big release of this month is not the security patches released earlier but r
        [See the full post at: A quiet month of May]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
        chasrome
        AskWoody Plus

Not so quiet here:

Windows Update no longer works for two of my computers including a key laptop. The updates will easily download (with either Windows Update or from the Catalog) but when the computer attempts to restart, it hangs until it is forced to restart and concludes by announcing that updates could not be installed and were being rolled back.

Here is a message from Event Viewer (the only indication of what MIGHT be wrong): “Event ID 20, Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0xE0000100: 2021-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5003173)”.

So this is not the Edge issue. A search on Error “oxE0000100” turns up only two finds and the “explanations” describe something to do with a hard drive failure.  However I have at least three dependable hard drive utilities that assure me there is nothing wrong with the drive (Samsung SSD 850PRO 512 GB SATA) including an offline run of ChkDsk.

So, after trying -for over 12 hours- every suggestion or tip I found on the net dealing with “updates fail to install” I am at a loss as what to do next.  Anybody have any ideas?

Susan Bradley
          Manager

Repair install over the top.  Fastest way to get the files back into shape.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
          anonymous

See if this very recent MS forum thread bears any resemblance to the issue you are experiencing.  The systems there are apparently all x86.  If I’m reading your post correctly your system is x64 but there is definitely something going on with either the 2021-04 or -05 CU.  Even the 2021-06 preview CU fails.

I’m having that same boot issue on one x86 system and none of the “repair” methods make any difference.  Have tried in-place upgrades and keep-files resets but issue remains.  Restoring image to 1904x.870 (2021-03) and then hiding updates provides stable operation for now.

Waiting to see if MS ever acknowledges this issue.

wdg_pgh
        AskWoody Plus

re Opatch coming to the rescue again:
        That’s 0patch (zero not oh).

JustAsking
        AskWoody Plus

Yes, that’s a common typo.

0 is the number 0

O is the letter O

They are also close on the keyboard. 😉

Just as l/1 is often confused:

1 is the number 1

l is the small letter l (small L)

Depending on the font they can be almost indistinguishable 😉

Jack Wood
        AskWoody Plus

KB5003173 has failed to install 7 times.  Message says there are missing files and they will try again later…of course now, I cannot get further updates, except anti-virus, and Net updates.

No idea what to do…I have run all the versions of DISM and SFC…no errors found.

j wood

PKCano
          Manager

You do have a recent full disk image backup and a file backup of your User data, Right? Always do that before you start major troubleshooting.

If you have run these commands in an Elevated Command Prompt (as Administrator)
          DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
          sfc /scannow
          and they found no problems, try the following steps:
          (You must be logged in with an Aiministrative ID – not a Standard ID)
          + Verify you have no Conexant Audio drivers in Device Manager. If you do, uninstall (do NOT delete) them before you start.
          + Turn of Fast Startup
          Control Panel\Power Options “Choose what the power button does.
          You may have to look under “Settings that are currently unavailable” – be sure to save the settings.
          + Run “Disk Cleanup”
          Start Menu\Windows Administrative Tools
          . Right click on “Disk Cleanup” and “Run as administrator“. Check everything BUT these three things: 1. Downloads (but check Downloaded Program Files), 2. Recycle Bin (if you want to keep your trashed files), and 3. Language resources. Delete the checked files.
          Restart the computer
          + Reset Windows Update
          In an elevated command prompt (Run as Administrator), copy/paste each of these commands one at a time and hit Enter:
          net stop wuauserv
          net stop cryptSvc
          net stop bits
          net stop msiserver
          Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.2106
          net start wuauserv
          net start cryptSvc
          net start bits
          net start msiserver
          Restart the computer.

Try the update again AFTER Windows Update checks for updates on its own the next time.

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Or install over the top, as Susan said above.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: A quiet month of May

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.