News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • A Windows 8.x to Windows 10 Cross-grade Actually Worked

Posted on Michael Austin Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 A Windows 8.x to Windows 10 Cross-grade Actually Worked

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  PKCano 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Michael Austin
      AskWoody Plus

Just last week while traveling my very serviceable, 2015 Windows 8 laptop’s Crtl and Windows keys gave up the ghost. So to try and fix it on the road, just for the halibut I tried the free Windows 10 changeover link Gordon Kelly posted on his phaithbook page. If it failed I figured I’d just wipe the drive and reinstall everything.

I was very surprised that the process actually worked  —  but only after we got home when there was great wifi available. Of course the flying leap at the cross-grade didn’t solve the busted keys. For that I ordered a replacement keyboard I’ll install myself. $16.

But the cross-grade did get me away from the unpleasant Windows 8 menus.

My definition of an upgrade:  a positive change in hardware or software which does not create new problems in endless games of Whac-A-Mole. My definition of a cross-grade: a software or hardware switchover which brings its own, new considerations or problems. Just like Windows 10’s incessant game of Whac-A-Mole with its patches to its patches of patches.

I use Mr. Kelly’s writing for indications on whether or not I could cross-grade iOS on our Apple devices in Apple’s own, incessant game of churning software features and Whac-A-Mole, which has been happening for 5 1/2 years at this writing. Kelly does summary posts as a freelancer via Forbes, but not in the depth you find here at Ask Woody, and without Ask Woody’s impartialities and pleasant geekeries.

Rest in pieces, Windows 7!

Finance, social and tech founder. Earth spirit.

• #2110594 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

You got caught in the spambucket on too fast edit/submit/edit. Slow down a bit and give the system time to catch up with your fast fingers 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: A Windows 8.x to Windows 10 Cross-grade Actually Worked

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.