News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • About Win7 And My Use Of It

Posted on AussieBoy Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Win7 beyond End-of-life About Win7 And My Use Of It

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Lugh 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

AussieBoy
      AskWoody Plus

Hi all, My first post on Woody’s site ever although I’ve been a member through Windows Secrets for over a decade. I’m in Australia and thought what a better forum to start my posting on than the support of our beloved Win7. I’ll use the OS until I can’t, so I think that’ll be a long time. I’m too old, fat and ugly to go through the nonsense I read about with all the beta faults of Win10. Honestly, what the h**l has gone wrong with Microsoft these days when they can’t release a single patch Tues without a major or near-major issue. I suppose it is true that plumbers have the leakiest pipes! Life just seems too easy with Win7, a robust, reliable, easy-to-use OS. I never have a problem with the odd Win7 bad update – too easy to simply do a ShadowProtect and/or Macrium Reflect partition image and then do the update. Anything unexpected or untoward happens and just revert to the old image – fixed in 3 mins – no brainer. Then I’ll keep an eye on our Wonderful Woody to see when all is safe to try again.

I have a powerful enough system – 3770K CPU, 32GB RAM (only DDR3 but seems just fine and spritely) and, of course, ‘ol mate Win7Pro, so I’ll not fix a d**n thing ’til its broken with Win10 thanks very much. I do have plans to build a new uber-machine with an X299 board but I’m waiting for PCIe 5 and DDR5 so if I have to wait until mid 2020 (or later??) for that then Win7 will do me fine. I keep my machines for up to 10 years so worth waiting for those major changes. It will be my killer video editing rig so no expense will be spared filling her with every flavour of horsepower – justified for a 10 year keeper. It ‘may’ be then that I relent and get Win10Pro for the newie as cutting edge boards seem made for Win10 specific features I understand.

My thinking is that hopefully by then Microsoft may have fired all the 12-13 year olds and begin making patches that work out of the box and may even finally take Win10 out of the beta testing stage by then 🙂 I just give thanks every day to the magnanimous software God for letting us enjoy Win7 while others struggle with this half-baked thing called 10. It really is a sad joke from what I read. Anyway, keep the faith fellow Seveners and let’s talk again!

P.S: Can anyone please tell me how to include a picture on my profile. Searched but couldn’t find how to. Thanks!

Edit: HTML removal – Please use the ‘Text’ tab in the post entry box when you copy/paste

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1715970 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

Welcome to askwoody!
      For a custom forum avatar, you will need to sign up to gravatar.
      See this thread on how to go about it.

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1717086 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

(only DDR3 but seems just fine and spritely)

That’s okay, it’s a hardware thing and can’t be changed.  The DDR, DDR2, DDR3 and newer DDR4 are physically non-interchangeable. [Haven’t run into DDR5 yet.]  My memory is trying to recall a couple of motherboards that had slots/sockets for 2 types of RAM but not coming up as to the make and model.  We’ve gotten away from a lot of jumper settings on the boards of years past, last I worked with could use either an AMD or an Intel Pentium CPU or earlier 80486 based upon those jumpers.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"
    • #1719955 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

Good luck with Win7 for as long as you need it, the best OS Microsoft produced out of the gate. It was great for 8-9 years until Win10 surpassed it.

When you come to switch, don’t be alarmed.

the nonsense I read about with all the beta faults of Win10. Honestly, what the h**l has gone wrong with Microsoft these days when they can’t release a single patch Tues without a major or near-major issue

Wherever you’re getting your info, I suggest you broaden your sources. The “surpassed” I mentioned above is the evaluation of a large majority of the tech press I keep an eye on. If there were major Win10 problems, you bet they’d be in the general press too—MS is one of the most scrutinized companies on the planet, with many people itching to jump on any opportunity to criticize.

Surpassed is also my experience since ~18 months ago. I had significant Win10 problems in 2016—needed a few image restores—2017 had a few issues like resetting some settings, 2018 has been trouble-free. That includes Office 365 also—I allow all MS updates whenever MS wants to send them to me, as I’m never more than a fast image restore away from recovery if needed.

There are hundreds of millions of Win10 users whose PCs haven’t melted.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #1730799 Reply

anonymous

The source of the guy’s statement is the very website you are currently posting on, and have apparently paid to do so. (I presume that’s what the MVP status means) Not only are we told about the problems in every Patch Tuesday here, but the whole site rests on the MS-DEFCON system where Microsoft is so likely to mess up an update that we are told not to update for at least a few weeks afterwards.

You yourself did not actually accept every update: you are on Windows 10 1803, not 1809.  And, even then, you admit you have to have a backup to protect yourself from updates. You clearly do not think Microsoft’s updates are of high quality, either.

And you aren’t alone. Microsoft itself is in damage-control mode, reassuring people that they will increase the quality of their updates. They never needed to do this back when Windows 7 was getting normal updates. We never needed to have backups like you do to update Windows 7 before Windows 10 came out.

So we have Microsoft themselves saying their updates are bad. We are on a website that talks about how they are bad and has a special system for dealing with them. And not even the guy defending them actually uses the latest, and even he has to have an emergency backup.

The guy’s statement is accurate. Windows 10 continues to repeatedly have widespread problems with updates. We didn’t come to this subforum about staying on Windows 7 because we wanted paternalism from Windows 10 users who don’t even follow the MS-DEFCON system.

• #1733940 Reply

Lugh
          AskWoody_MVP

There are a few problems in your post, good call to make it anonymous.

The source of the guy’s statement is the very website you are currently posting on

Yes, that is this site’s specialty, pointing out the problems experienced with Windows and updates. In contrast, the source of my statement is many other tech sites I monitor—sites which don’t share this site’s focus.

the very website you are currently posting on, and have apparently paid to do so. (I presume that’s what the MVP status means)

MVP means I was a VIP on Windows Secrets, which has recently been assimilated into AskWoody. WS is/was a good example of the other tech sites I mentioned—focused on the overall and general Microsoft experience, not only/mostly the problems.

You yourself did not actually accept every update

You’re wrong, I did.

The careful way to use Windows 10 is to wait for MS to offer updates—they haven’t offered me 1809 or 1903 yet. My partner was offered 1809 2-3 weeks ago, and had a fast trouble-free update and follow-on.

you have to have a backup to protect yourself from updates. You clearly do not think Microsoft’s updates are of high quality, either.

You’re wrong, I do.

Anyone experienced or competent with using software wouldn’t dream of not having backups. You will see some of the senior experts here have “Make Backups!” or similar in their forum signatures. I’ve never seen anyone technically credible advise not to make regular backups.

We never needed to have backups like you do to update Windows 7

You’re wrong, we did. See previous point.

paternalism from Windows 10 users who don’t even follow the MS-DEFCON system

Don’t be so defensive about people posting about the wider general worldwide Windows experience, there’s nothing to be scared of. It doesn’t invalidate any of the valuable work done by AskWoody and the Defcon system, merely introduces an extra dimension to the community. This should be useful for people who don’t have the time or inclination to monitor other tech news.

Lugh.
          ~
          Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
          i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: About Win7 And My Use Of It

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.