News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Access 2010 with Office 2019

Posted on PStepanas Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  PStepanas 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

PStepanas
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi everyone,

Surprised to find us on a new site, but it feels a bit like coming home. 🙂

I’ve been running Office 2010, but am upgrading my hardware. Seems it may be time for a newer version of Office. But Office 2019 doesn’t include Outlook, nor Access.

I don’t use Access a lot, but I do have a few databases that I want to be able to read and update. And I don’t want to move them to Excel.

But it seems Access has gotten … weird. A few weeks ago, I tried to open an Access database for the first time in 3 years or so. I was presented with an empty window, with a Login option in the top-left corner. No menus, no nothing.

Eventually, I tried just running Access from its shortcut. This seemed to put things back to normal (I may have got that the wrong way around, but I think I’m right).

In any case, this is worrying. How will it work when I really do have a non-Access version of Office 2019 installed on a fresh machine?

So, the plan is to install Access 2010 only from my Office 2010 install media, then install Visio 2010 from my MSDNAA media, then install Office 2019 Home.

Will this work?

What are the pitfalls?

Is there a better option?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Paulius

• #1843448 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

I’ve seen people having 2 Office suites installed on a PC—eg Office 2007 & Office 2016—so my guess is what you’re planning should work. But I don’t know, I’ve never mixed versions.

Is there a better option?

Office 365.

If it’s only you, the Personal version is $70/year, v $250 for 2019 standalone. That’s nearly 4 years before 365 is dearer, but you get Access included [and Publisher], plus 1TB storage on OneDrive, web apps, and 60 Skype minutes/month.

Best value is if there are more than you. The Home version @ $100/year has the same software but allows 6 users with up to 3 devices each—Desktop/Laptop, Tablet, Phone.

It looks like Visio is subscription only now, so installing your 2010 version would be the way to go, whichever flavor of Office you pick.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #1843705 Reply

PStepanas
      AskWoody Lounger

Thank you for your response, Lugh.

I was hoping for an Access expert, but happy to hear your take as well.

That said, I’m very surprised that you would recommend Office 365, since it is this very publication that has consistently argued against even considering it. Perhaps things have changed since I had time to read every issue, and perhaps it does make some sense for a multi-computer family. But for an individual like myself, it’s a huge rip-off.  You may not have noticed, but I get around 10 years of use from a single Office version.  And all of the add-ons are just marketing chaff — I would use none of them, and I think that’s true for most people.

I apologise if that sounds harsh, but I’m getting extremely frustrated with every software developer, over the last five years (much longer, for Microsoft), trying to convince consumers that what they are doing is good for the consumer.  It’s not.  Software does not need to be riddled with bugs;  subscriptions are not a better deal;  live service games do need to be properly tested;  and “microtransactions” are never good value.

Any Access experts able to weight in?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Access 2010 with Office 2019

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.