News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Accidentally hit “Pause Updates” , now what?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Accidentally hit “Pause Updates” , now what?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        dmt_3904
        AskWoody Plus

I accidentally hit pause updates I had unintentionally clicked and the pointer happened to be on “Pause Updates”.   I know we are in Defcon 2.  So when we get the go-ahead to install, I have to unpause, correct? There is no other option that I know of.   I have GP settings as noted by PK in this forum.   There are a bunch of drivers hidden and recently hid KB4023057  – but it is not showing in the hidden list now.

What will happen when I unpause?   Will it check for updates and I’ll get everything, which I can check and hide what I don’t want or will it just download and install?

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I have GP settings as noted by PK in this forum.

Being on Pro you don’t need pause / deferrals. All you need is to set GP ‘notify only..’ = 2
        All other settings should be disabled.
        When you get the list of updates go to WUMGR/WUMT (don’t use wushowhide as it is not reliable) and hide the updates. Unhide the updates you want on defcon 3/4.

You can now set GP = 2 and unpause.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          dmt_3904
          AskWoody Plus

Thank you.  I have my GP settings as noted on ask woody.
          I did not intentionally pause updates, I hit it by accident so I was wondering what to do when I unpause.

PKCano
            Manager

If you are online when you “Resume updates,” it will ignore your GP settings and download/install everything availabel.

Disconnect from your network.
            Resume Updates. (It will attempt to download and fail – most likely to “Retry.”)
            Restart the computer, go to WU. When WU tries to Scan for updates on its own, reconnect the network.
            The “2” setting should keep the updates from downloading and you should be back to normal.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Accidentally hit “Pause Updates” , now what?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.