News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Account Recovery Failure

Posted on hguilmette Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Account Recovery Failure

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

mn– 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

hguilmette
      AskWoody Plus

On Sunday I updated my PC to version 1809. Dont know if it caused this problem, but, here goes.

On Monday, I was reviewing my settings and one of them required that I sign into my Microsoft Account. It said the password I had used for several months was invalid. Tried variations to make sure and all failed.

I went thru the recovery process; the new password created was accepted; system then requested to sign in. Result: “invalid”

Did it a second time, with the same results. password accepted, password failed. Each time I went thru recovery and tried to use the accepted password I had just created I was told it was now “invalid.” I got the message that I couldn’t use a previously used password a couple of times I tried, but every password I had previously used in this procee that had been accepted was now a “previously used password.”

In addition, the Windows Community and Windows help, don’t allow me to get a phone call or connect with a real person w/o a valid password! Finally, my One Drive backup account is now no longer accessable. I’m stumped.
      HELP.
      Harris

• #343532 Reply

anonymous

Were you able to add a second fallback e-mail address while connecting your Windows to use a Microsoft Account, was there options for alternate authentication methods?

• #343639 Reply

hguilmette
      AskWoody Plus

Yes, I have several alernate numbers.  Password sent gets me to password change screen, which allows me to change the password.  Once accepted, the system prompts for signing in withe the new, accepted password, then declares it INVALID.

The new accepted password is not accepted in the windows help system either.  May end up having to use the Account Recovery process, which I’m reluctant to do, because its the system that is not allowing my newly accepted password to work.

• #343731 Reply

anonymous

Okay this is a dumb, obvious, question did you wait a few minutes before using the new passwords? I had this problem with another service provider, if it isn’t not rate limiting or other Microsoft back-end problem then I’m out of ideas.

Yes you may have to use the Microsoft Account Recovery Process.

• #343737 Reply

Mr. Natural
      AskWoody Plus

I’ve seen this happen when a user has 2 different Microsoft accounts and there is confusion with the login the person is using and the account Microsoft thinks you are trying to connect to. Such as someone with a company O365 work account and a personal Microsoft account.

Did you ever have a Windows Live account? That could cause an issue too.

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

• #344291 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Though, the login process was changed last year, nowadays it usually works right even with a Live id and a O365 work account having the same identification, as in the email address.

Yes, I did see some of the problems with that earlier, there was one particularly nasty case with OneNote notebook data corruption…

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Account Recovery Failure

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.