News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Action Center App Not Working as expected in Ver 1903

Posted on Moondoggy Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1903 – May 2019 Update Action Center App Not Working as expected in Ver 1903

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Moondoggy 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Moondoggy
      AskWoody Plus

Note that not all of these issues are unique problems with version 1903 of Windows 10 but things are not working as expected since I upgraded from 1809.  Here’s the issues that I’m seeing and I’m wondering if anyone else is seeing this behavior and knows how to fix things.

In prior versions of Windows 10 the Action Center Icon would display the number of messages that exist in the application.  After upgrading I no longer see the number of messages displayed when I look at the icon.

In prior versions of Windows 10 the Action Center would automatically clear the messages as soon as the messages (mostly emails) were downloaded into Outlook 2010 which is my default email application.  Now the messages remain in the Action Center until I manually remove them.  Also note that even though messages remain in the Action Center, the icon in the tray is dark, indicating nothing in the Action Center instead of the icon being white.

In at least one prior version of Windows 10 I would receive an audible alert when a new message was added to the Action Center even beside the icon showing an increase in the message count.  I have not received an audible alert in some time and I don’t know if this was something that Microsoft removed or whether there’s an issue specific to my PC.

I’ve looked around and I cannot see anything that allows one to control the features of the Action Center or the Action Center Icon.  If anyone knows how to resolve these issues, please let me know.

Thanks.

• #1860724 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

This might not be of much help I know, but its worth a shot. If you use the Mail and Calendar App in Win10 all Ver’s to mirror your Outlook 2010 Mail. i.e. setup JoeBloggs@outlook.com for example and run with your Outlook 2010 closed you can get your Mail displayed as it arrives or an interval of your choosing displayed on the Live tile, Action Centre and even Lock Screen.
      On the few Win10 Machines with Outlook 2010 installed Messages only show up in Action Centre when Outlook is actually open or running open in the background.
      Not sure if that will work with a POP3 or IMAP Mail server but it works with Outlook.com and a Work based Mail Domain Server (EAS and/or Exchange). Its been a while here since using 2010 as I normally use Outlooks 2016 + 2019 and they display incoming Mail and Calendar items (alerts, Appointments, etc) a treat whether Outlook is open or not.
      I was a bit sceptical about sharing my Mail Accounts with M$ but the sensitive Personal Account (IMAP/POP3) isn’t shared with M$ via the Mail and Calendar App.
      Hope that helps.

• #1861216 Reply

anonymous

You can look in System > Notifications & actions.

There is this solution from the folks at Winareo that may help you:

https://winaero.com/blog/fix-action-center-doesnt-show-notifications-in-windows-10-version-1809/

• #1861283 Reply

Mr. Natural
        AskWoody Plus

According to that article it broke with the 1809 update and now if you disable background apps it turns off action center. If I hover my mouse over the icon on the toolbar it shows it is off on my pc.

One of the first things I’ve always done with a Windows 10 upgrade is to turn off background apps. This did not affect action center in earlier versions so that must have changed with 1903

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

• #1867364 Reply

Moondoggy
      AskWoody Plus

I wanted to post a reply in regard to this issue with the understanding that I may not have my PC setup the way it should.

On my PC I have the Microsoft Windows 10 Email App installed as I believe it is installed by default.  That being said, I do not use this email client I use Outlook 2010 as my email client.  When I posted my problem related to the Action Center notifications not working as expected I believe that Microsoft either changed how mail notifications work with the spring 1903 upgrade.

The way notifications worked for me with the fall 2018 upgrade was that the Action Center Icon would change from black (empty)  to white (filled) and display a count of notifications that were present at that time.  When I would download my email into Outlook 2010 if the only notifications present were email notifications the action Center Icon would change from white (filled)  back to black (empty) and the notifications present would be removed.  This behavior was NOT present after upgrading to version 1093

To make a long story short I believe that in 1903 my settings for downloading new mail somehow got changed to “As New Mail Arrives” and by changing that setting to “Based on My Usage” the behavior of the Action Center regarding notifications changed back to the behavior I was previously experiencing in the 1809 release.  Now when I download messages into Outlook 2010 the Action Center email notifications clear and of there are no other notifications present the icon changes from white (filled) to black (empty).

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Action Center App Not Working as expected in Ver 1903

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.