News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Ad-blocker?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Rhino
        AskWoody Plus

I am trying to log in to the UK Channel 4 Website, but I get a warning, “You are using an ad-blocker, please disable it for this Website”. I am using Win 7 x64 & Firefox V74. I can’t find any reference to an ad-blocker in Add-ons. Any suggestions much appreciated.

David

• #2211630 Reply
        anonymous

I have no problems with uBlock Origin. Works with Firefox and Pale Moon.
        Have to enable ublock filters

Might be worth a look: https://jspenguin2017.github.io/uBlockProtector/

[Link removed]

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2211666 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

Try turning off Enhanced Tracking Protection for that site:

Enhanced Tracking Protection in Firefox for desktop: What to do if a site seems broken

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (Pioneer/Chump)

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2211841 Reply
        Rhino
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for your input, just one problem; I want to un-block ads for just one Website. I’ve clicked around and around in Add-ons, options and extensions, but can find no reference to Add-blockers.

David

• #2211872 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

“This will turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection for this site. The page will reload automatically and allow trackers on this site only.”

Try turning off Enhanced Tracking Protection for that site:

Enhanced Tracking Protection in Firefox for desktop: What to do if a site seems broken

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (Pioneer/Chump)

• #2212070 Reply
        Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

It’s kind of telling that simply wanting to not be tracked, without having an adblocker, invokes these sorts of “turn off your adblocker” (aka “let us steal your personal data”) messages.  No one seems to remember that it is possible to have ads without tracking; they’re so tightly bundled that blocking trackers makes sites think you’re blocking the ads.  If they’re going to be like that, putting you in the “adblocker” boat when you’re merely using the default browser settings to block tracking, you might as well actually block the ads.

I use uBlock Origin and ViolentMonkey in Waterfox, along with Anti-Adblock-Killer.  AAK consists of a userscript that you install into a userscript addon like ViolentMonkey, GreaseMonkey, or Tampermonkey, and a filter list subscription that you add to uBlock or other adblocker.  The directions to do that are available through the link.

When you have that set up, the messages like you’re talking about are gone, though (of course) you can still whitelist sites as you see fit (just not the ones with “disable your adblocker” messages; for those you must leave the adblocker ON if you don’t wish to be tracked).  If you use a script blocking addon like uMatrix or NoScript, it may be necessary to turn it off for the sites that persist with the tracker walls.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.18.5).

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Ad-blocker?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.