News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Adblocker Review and Warning

Posted on Microfix Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Dedoimedo has just published an article on the Ublock Origin extension, worthy of a read whether currently using it, or not.
        hat-tip to Dedoimedo.

Investigating further, I came across another article with the revelation that some adblocking developers are being paid to let some ads through the extension by default, on installation.
        It may be time to check your extension settings and decide what is acceptable or not if you use any of the following extensions:

AdBlock Plus
        AdBlock Browser
        AdBlock products
        AdBlock Premium products
        uBlock products (not uBlock Origin)
        Crystal products

Further reading over on: restoreprivacy

This may seem speculative but, with the impending economic slump globally due to the pandemic, advertisers are now more likely to bombard browsers with their warez employing new tactics along the way. Always keep your extensions up-to-date!

So, it’s a good time to review/ audit your browser adblocking extension as a preventative measure.

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
        8 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2276605 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

It’s a real positive that advertisements were removed from this site.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win7Pro SP1 x64 Storage
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.900 x64 i5-9400 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0b3 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2276617 Reply
        Lars220
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks Microfix, here is a reminder / or notice, that Chris Hoffman at How-to Geek website has updated his article about browser extensions:

Browser Extensions Are a Privacy Nightmare: Stop Using So Many of Them
        Chris Hoffman
        @chrisbhoffman
        Updated June 29, 2020, 1:33pm EDT

https://www.howtogeek.com/188346/why-browser-extensions-can-be-dangerous-and-how-to-protect-yourself/

Adblockers

Attachments:
        • #2276670 Reply
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

extensions
          These just work for me and have done for a good few years now in conjunction with firefox esr about:config security tweaks and keyhole surgery 😉

I was never a fan of browser plugins, later extensions but, needs must nowadays.

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
          Attachments:
      • #2276644 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

“adblocking developers are being paid to let some ads through the extension by default,..”

This is old news known for years especially with AdBlock.

• #2276679 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Alex5723: “This is old news known for years especially with AdBlock.

The ads that are allowed through, according to this ad blocker makers, in Germany, are supposed to be something like those “respectful” ads that used to be allowed in “AskWoody” before switching to all-donations.

I am allergic to commercial ads and, while using Adblock Plus for several years by now, have only come across ads, very occasionally, in the sidebars of some search engines and of a few paywalled sites I subscribe to that require whitelisting them. So: either any other ads that are allowed to make it through full bore are so “respectful” as to be practically invisible, or there is really something seriously wrong with my eyes. Now I am worried.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Adblocker Review and Warning

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.