News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Advice for first-time posters on AskWoody

Home Forums AskWoody blog Advice for first-time posters on AskWoody

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

warrenrumak 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

We’re seeing a lot of first-time posters on AskWoody. That’s great! Just realize that there are rules we all follow about content and continuity. You
      [See the full post at: Advice for first-time posters on AskWoody]

6 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1369981 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

There is nothing like being able to get answers, learn new things, and stay atop changes with our computers, here on AskWoody.

I’ve worried about people getting lost in transitioning from Windows Secrets. The Windows Secrets Topics and Replies are cared for in their transfer over, and as valuable as the information is, it is the people that make a site great. The ‘experts’ have made the transition (some were already on both sites). Woody is great at making sure everyone gets their accounts going here, even when it requires some manual tweaking (he is customer support!).

Been told that there are lots of people that only read the Windows Secrets Newsletter, without ever showing up in the Lounge there. With all the changes, its a great time to dive in and join us, as everyone is getting settled in at the same time. Being able to log in allows you to skip Captcha and the time lag for having your posts moderated… it also allows you to see attachments to posts… and picking a user name and using a disposable e-mail still allows you to be anonymous, but it makes it substantially easier to follow your posts in a thread if you have a Lounge identity, rather than be one of many anonymous posts.

Being a bit shy, and definitely non-techy, it took me years of just reading before I registered. I’ve learned so much more by participating in discussions and sharing experiences… and only recently @b helped me figure out what I was doing wrong when trying to set up a different default search engine in a browser… something I’d been wrong about for years! I’d just like to encourage anyone else feeling a bit shy… or running into an apparent roadblock… to take that extra step and join us. It isn’t just years and years of information and posts… it really is the participation of everyone, from newbie non-techies to IT pros, that enriches all of us. A lot of the Windows Secrets people who already transferred over will be familiar… but keeping up with technology in our homes and businesses is always a great adventure.

Looking forward to seeing those new user names popping up on posts!

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

6 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Advice for first-time posters on AskWoody

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.