News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Advice on Choosing Win 10 Version

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Advice on Choosing Win 10 Version

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  w7340 1 month ago.

• Author

w7340
      AskWoody Plus

This question has probably been asked before. I’m finally forced to move from Win 7 to Win 10. I will get a new computer. I now have Win 7 Home Pro on a stand-alone computer. If I have a choice, which version of Win 10 should I get for simplicity (ha!) and reasonable control over when updates are installed. I’ll tackle the subject of transferring files to the new computer another time. Thanks! (And d___ you, Microsoft!)

• #2086840 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Woody seems to think the Home Edition is OK.
      Personally, I wouldn’t have anything but the Pro Edition. In addition to the Controls that Home has, there is SO much more in Pro with Group Policy.

If you are going to order real soon, and you have any choice in the matter,  I would ask for version 1903. Version 1909 isn’t quite ready yet (IMO). But you may not have that choice.

• #2086860 Reply

w7340
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the information. I suppose that I should have pointed out that I have a “one-user” computer and no need to access any corporate networks. I’m retired. So, I’m not sure why I would be interested in Group Policy.

• #2086871 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Group Policy is not just about Corporate networks.
        Example: You can use GP to prevent Microsoft downloading and replacing your hardware drivers with their generic ones with a setting in GP. I use it to keep any Windows Update from downloading patches untill I give it permission.
        That’s just two of the many examples.

(And I retired 21 years ago) 🙂

• #2087299 Reply

w7340
      AskWoody Plus

Ha! Ha! Mine was only 14 years ago.

Thanks again for the advice. I see that I have a lot to ponder.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Advice on Choosing Win 10 Version

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.