News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

  • Advice – timing an upgrade (between Win 10 versions)

    Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Advice – timing an upgrade (between Win 10 versions)

    Author
    Topic
    #2395504

    A few upgrade questions for moving from Win 10 2004 (Home) to Win 10 20h2…
    1. Is it advisable to wait until the MS-DefCon for October (today’s) patches have received Susan’s blessing?
    2. I’m thinking of just going the one-step to 20H2 rather than 21H1 (I know it means spending time on another upgrade from 20H2 to 21H1). Is that likely to be safer on an older laptop?
    3. I have given up on Norton (did ALL the removal steps that I could find in advice here and elsewhere including using Norton’s removal tool) and am using Windows Security. I haven’t done a version upgrade since then (all other monthly patches up to Sept were successfully installed). Does there seem to be a consistent pattern of upgrades failing due to lurking Norton things?
    Thanks!

    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies
    • #2395506

      1 – Disconnect from the internet while applying the update, this will allow you to set Group Policy or use your preferred utility to block the updates.  But, if you already have group policy set (to 4 week delay for example) that will be followed.

      2 – Many users are on 21h1 without trouble, but other than longer support lifetime it provides not much.  It is up to you.

      3- Since you already did the removal tool all should be fine.

    • #2395510

      2004 to 20H2 is a 2-5 minutes download and update (providing you are updated up to date).
      The same goes for 20H2 to 21H1.

      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2395522

      You should go ahead and update to 21H1. 2004, 20H2 and 21H1 all have the same core and receive the same CU each month. The only difference is the which Feature Experience Pack is turned on. So there’s not much difference between them. BUT….

      If you update now using Windows Update, you will get October updates, which have not been approved.
      You can wait until the Oct. updates are approved.
      OR you can do an OFFLINE upgrade keeping your programs and data (so you don’t get the Oct updates in the process), then manually install the September updates, being sure your settings are right not to get updated to Oct. when you go back online.

      1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Advice – timing an upgrade (between Win 10 versions)

    You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.