News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Affinity Photo

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Has anyone tried Affinity Photo for Mac (or Windows) and iOS, and if so, how well do you like it, and how well does it compare (or supplement) Pixelmator Pro for Mac and the new Pixelmator Photo for iPad?

I currently own Pixelmator Pro for Mac and Pixelmator Photo for iPad, and I’m wondering if Affinity would be a good supplement.

All of my photos are stored in macOS/iOS/iCloud Photos. I shoot casual images with my iPhone, but I also have a Canon EOS 7D for fancier stuff. I’ve had the Canon EOS 7D for years, and I still haven’t fully learned to use all of its potential. I purchased a book on the Canon EOS 7D, plus I’ve been checking out Digital Photographer magazine on Apple News+ to see if I can learn more about it.

In the past, I used iPhoto and Aperture on my Mac, but now that Aperture is killed off, I’m wondering what is the best solution for editing photos on my Mac (either the built-in macOS Photos, Pixelmator Pro, or Affinity Photos). On Windows I used Adobe Lightroom, but I don’t really want to get into another Adobe subscription. My photography is generally more hobbyist when I have extra time on my hands or need to relax, not something I do day in and day out, so the Adobe subscription wouldn’t go to enough use. I just need to get good enough to use my DSLR when I want to take some great photos, then polish them up in editing.

Also, in the past I used Flickr to share images, but I haven’t in a long time (I’ve used more traditional social media). Anyone still using Flickr for image sharing, or is it pretty much past its prime?

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

• #1875512 Reply

DrBonzo
      AskWoody Lounger

My wife uses Affinity Photo a lot (exclusively, I think) on her iMAC running High Sierra. She loves it. It’s about $50, easy to learn, and does everything from simple cropping and resizing to all kinds of special effects. It appears to have a spectrum feature where one can add/subtract certain wavelengths. She says there’s nothing about it she doesn’t like, but suggested you google “Affinity Revolution” to find a series of videos/tutorials (free, I believe) that will show you many of the program’s features. She did not particularly like any of the photo editing capabilities of any programs that came standard with High Sierra on the iMAC.

For some perspective, she uses a Canon Powershot SX750, which I think might be classified as an advanced point and shoot. Certainly not a DSLR but also certainly not a simple shooter, either.

Hope this helps.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1875947 Reply

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Thanks for the info! I have read about it in various Mac news outlets and seen demos of it, but I wanted to hear from someone using it to see how much they’re enjoying it. She seems to really love it, so she has me sold on it. I have a message into them asking them about directly purchasing from them vs the Mac App Store, as well as seeing if they offer any educational discounts. I see they also offer a free trial, so I may take that for a spin as well, but from what your wife is using with it, it seems to be exactly what I need.

macOS Photos has some basic editing capabilities, but it isn’t near what Aperture had in it when I used Aperture in the past. I can see where she wouldn’t care for it. Lightroom is OK, but I wouldn’t edit enough photos to even justify $10/month (plus I don’t like Adobe’s policies). Pixelmator Pro is great too, but it is more of a Photoshop replacement. Affinity Photos looks perfect.

Nathan Parker

• #1875952 Reply

DrBonzo
          AskWoody Lounger

For what its worth, she purchased Affinity Photo through the Mac App Store. To be honest, I don’t know if there are any advantages to that, although updates come through the App Store, which is convenient (maybe they would come through the App Store no matter how it was purchased – you can tell I’m still adjusting to Mac OS after several iterations of Windows). As with most everything about the iMAC, the update installation is seamless.

• #1875961 Reply

Nathan Parker
            AskWoody_MVP

Thanks for the info. There is a difference in updates from the Mac App Store versus direct (Mac App Store apps update through the Mac App Store, direct apps use an updater inside the app). Occasionally Mac App Store apps offer a couple restrictions (plus if there ever is an upgrade cost, no upgrade pricing path) than direct apps, so I always like to ask the app developer which method offers the better experience, then purchase accordingly.

Nathan Parker

• #1895610 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

I did purchase Affinity Photo this week. It is a solid app. I’ll be posting my full review next weekend. I also picked up Luminar which I’ve found to be solid as well. Both should serve me well.

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Affinity Photo

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.