News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• After last Windows update I can’t update Chrome on my desktop computer

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Questions: Win10 » After last Windows update I can’t update Chrome on my desktop computer

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    Author
    Topic

I had been able to update my Chrome web browser. But for some reason after the last update which I did on Friday the 29th of October, 2021. I just turned on my Desktop computer and set the Standard Security to Enhanced Security. I now can no longer receive my Chrome updates. I have closed out the browser and tried again to no avail. I the restarted my computer and I still can’t get it to work without uninstalling Chrome. If I go about uninstalling Chrome, will I lose my bookmarks? It seems like a simple fix, but I want to make sure all my bookmarks and saved passwords don’t get lost.

Can someone help me?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

When you say you can’t receive Chrome updates, what error message are you seeing?

What version are you on? Version 95.0.4638.69 (Official Build) (64-bit)

And one can export out bookmarks.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

The error message that I get is: Chrome didn’t update, Something went wrong – Fix Chrome update problems and failed updates.

I feel like a novice, I don’t know what build I am on or how to check it.

How do I export bookmarks out? May I also export my passwords out or will Google remember then if I need to reinstall them? I have a Chromebook too, will that get erased as well if I need to uninstall Chrome from my Desktop PC?

Upon further looking. The error that I get is: Update check failed to start (error code 4:0x80070005 – System level).

Version 95.0.4638.54 (64-bit)

I by trial had discovered the build and version number. I hope this helps.

Check that Google Update Service is running, as shown at solution 2 here:

Error code 4: 0x80070005 – System Level when updating Chrome browser

Solution 3 on the same page answers your questions about re-installing:

You don’t have to uninstall the browser first. Also, your bookmarks, history, passwords, etc., are also not impacted. So, you can reinstall it without any worry.

But if you also want to backup your bookmarks by exporting them, see here:

How to Import or Export Google Chrome Bookmarks as HTML in Windows

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1387 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

1 user thanked author for this post.

For some reason, after I exported my bookmarks. My Chrome browser updated. I didn’t have to follow the steps as you had outlined. However, I will save a copy of the instructions should this happen again.

Thank you for helping.

b

I can’t update my Chrome browser again. I get an error message of:

An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 4: 0x8007005 — system level).

Version 95.0.4638.69 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Check that Google Update Service is running, as shown at solution 2 here:

Error code 4: 0x80070005 – System Level when updating Chrome browser

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1387 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for your help b. However by the time I got to my computer today. My Chrome web browser had updated. When I opened my web browser it left me a message stating it had updated. I guess it was updating in the background when I was trying to update it manually.

b
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: After last Windows update I can’t update Chrome on my desktop computer

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.