News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • After updates paused unable to resume updates

Posted on rfinney Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 After updates paused unable to resume updates

This topic contains 62 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  bbearren 2 days, 10 hours ago.

• Author

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

I was running Win 10 Pro, 64-bit, 1809. In accordance with AskWoody recommendations, I had paused all updates. A little before time was up, I tried to un-pause Windows Update by clicking on “Check for updates.” I immediately received an error (0x80070422). I then clicked on the Retry button but same error appeared. This led me on an extended search of the web based on the error message (both message number & text) and problem description. I ended up compiling a long list of potential fixes, starting with the Windows Troubleshooter. Nothing even came close to fixing Windows Update.

So, the next step was to perform an in-place upgrade while keeping all my files and programs. This did work and Windows Update appeared to be working fine. I was “upgraded” to 1903. And now I again wanted to pause updates. So this time I started with pausing for 7 days. But I had having these “bad” thoughts that I should make sure I can un-pause. I resisted for a few days but then did the deed. And the darned same thing happened with the same error as above. So before I do another in-place upgrade, I thought I would post this sordid tale of woe, because as it stands now I will not be not be able to pause updates anymore.

Here is an abbreviated list of attempted fixes:

1. Windows Update Troubleshooter – no errors found
      2. Disable, then uninstall all antivirus apps – no changes noted
      3. Go to Settings->Update & Security->Advanced options, uncheck “Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows” option – no changes noted
      4. Disconnect USB storage devices – no changes noted
      5. Reset Windows Update components with following commands:
                net stop wuauserv
                net stop cryptSvc
                net stop bits
                net stop msiserver
                Ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
                Ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old
                net start wuauserv
                net start cryptSvc
                net start bits
                net start msiserver
                Result: no changes noted; the 2 files to be renamed not found
            6. Tried downloading an update not yet installed – update was not able to be installed b/c            Windows Update disabled
            7. Opened Services as Administrator and tried to manually enable BITS & Windows                      Update – BITS changed to Manual startup and was able to be started; Windows Update            not able to be changed from Disabled or able to be started with error 1058 (this led to              more searching and more potential fixes)
            8. Run dism.exe & sfc /scannow – no changes noted
            9. After performing in-place upgrade and successfully testing Windows Update, I next                  created a restore point. After Update broke yet again with same symptoms as last time,            I ran System Restore to go back to the latest restore point. It seemed to work fine and I            had high hope that Update would be fine again. As soon as I clicked on “Check for                      updates” the same error as first noted in this now too long “report” displayed.
      Sorry for too long post but I wanted to fairly complete, and I have left a few fixes out. I really can’t even imagine how I am ever going to get this resolved unless I do a fresh Windows install, which I am desperate to avoid, at least for a few months. Would appreciate any suggestions . . thx much in advance.

• #1946651 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

Did you click on resume updates before clicking check for updates?

--Joe

• #1947223 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks much for your reply. In looking at Windows Update right now, I don’t see such an option. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t present before I clicked on check for updates. I just don’t remember if that option was ever present or not. If I get brave enough to pause updates, I will look and see.

• #1947238 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Lemme make sure I understand this.

In Win10 1903, click Start > Settings > Update & Security and click the Pause updates for 7 days link.

You should get a “Resume updates” button with an explanation “Your device won’t be up to date while updates are paused. Updates will resume on xx/xx/xx.” Do you?

If you then click the “Resume updates” button, tell me what the 0x80070422 error looks like.

My guess is that the error you’re hitting has nothing to do with pausing updates. More likely is that you’re hitting the mysterious IPv6 bug described here.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1948501 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

You should get a “Resume updates” button with an explanation “Your device won’t be up to date while updates are paused. Updates will resume on xx/xx/xx.” Do you?

Thanks Woody for jumping in. Yes, I do get that exact message.

If you then click the “Resume updates” button, tell me what the 0x80070422 error looks like.

Here is the exact error I keep getting:

There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070422)

I had previously tried disabling IPv6 with no  luck. After receiving your reply, I just tried it again  . . no change. However, my WU is currently still broken. I am about to do another upgrade-in-place (my third) to again get back to a working WU. I could try disabling IPv6 before I even touch WU (right after completing the upgrade-in-place) and see if that helps. Do you think this is worthwhile? I am not really in the mood to delay updates again unless there is a strong need to do so or a reasonable shot at fixing this darn thing.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  rfinney.
    • #1948998 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Disabling IPv6 really shouldn’t be necessary, and I don’t think it will help.

You had five backslashes missing in your commands:

Ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
      Ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old

the 2 files to be renamed not found

Should read:
      Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
      Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

(It’s renaming folders really.)

I think it was a mistake to set the BITS service to manual if you’re trying to get Windows Update working, as its default status is “Automatic (Delayed Start)”. Perhaps the Manual setting for BITS survived your in-place upgrade, as that would lead to Windows Update errors.

If retrying the commands and setting BITS to automatic doesn’t help, try the first six steps at Microsoft’s guided walkthrough: Fix Windows Update errors

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #1949862 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

As it turns out, BITS was reset to “Automatic (Delayed Start)” either when I ran: net start bits or did the in-place upgrade. The numbered steps in my original post were not quite listed in order performed. Thus resetting bits to manual actually came before net start bits. I next ran through step 5 in my original post again, this time with the correct rename commands. All commands completed successfully this time with the exception of net start wuauserv. The error message said WU could not be start because it was disabled or there were no connected devices.

Unfortunately, I had previously tried Windows guided walkthrough with no success. However, as I indicated in my original post, I am not able to install any standalone updates. Thus I was unable to complete 2 of the 6 steps in the walkthrough. The last step is the in-place upgrade, which is the only thing that gets a working WU, although without being able to pause updates and then resume updates successfully.

Woody, thanks again for your help. I am hopeful you might have some other suggestions . . I would appreciate anything you can offer.

• #1949947 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

Even if you’ve already done the in-place upgrade, open an elevated Command Prompt (Run as administrator) and then run

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

After that completes, still in the elevated Command Prompt, run

sfc /scannow

Let us know what messages you get after each command.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns

"Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #1949973 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

bbearren,

Do you mean the log files or messages that appear in command prompt window itself? If you mean the log files, I have them from before I ran the first in-place upgrade. But they are pretty lengthy . . not really appropriate I would think for posting. Anyway, thanks for your help and I await clarification.

• #1950130 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

Do you mean the log files or messages that appear in command prompt window itself?

Just the messages that appear in the command window itself.  Don’t worry about verbatim, just the general gist.  If there is an error code, get that, too.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns

"Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #1950229 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

bbearren,

Thanks much for your clarification. Here is the result for DISM:

The source files could not be found.
      Use the “Source” option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

Here is the result for SFC:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
      For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
      windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
      repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Please let me know if any of this suggests a fix. Thanks again for your help.

• #1950579 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

Yes, that is not unfamiliar, and there are procedures to get your PC out of that hole. First, you need to be logged in as a member of the Administrators group. The procedure requires a Media Creation Tool USB drive or DVD. If you already have one, that saves some steps. If not go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and click the Download tool now button. Follow those instructions to get the installation media on a USB thumb drive or burned to a DVD.

Stay with me on these instructions. There are a few ways to do this, and someone may chime in with a different stroke, but just stay with me and follow these instructions. You’ll need to create a folder on the root of C: drive. In Explorer, click on C: in the left pane, then click New folder. Name the new folder ESD-WIM. Insert your DVD or plug in your USB thumb drive. Open explorer and navigate to the Sources folder on your installation media. Find install.esd, and copy that file to the new ESD-WIM folder. Once that copying is complete, you’re ready for the good stuff.

Open an elevated Command Prompt, and navigate to the new ESD-WIM folder. In other words, the prompt in the command window needs to be C:\ESD-WIM> This way you don’t need to enter any path statements; less room for typo’s or errors. Now type

dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:install.esd

and hit Enter. The result will give a listing of the different Windows 10 versions that are available in that install.esd compressed file. You need to make note of the index number of the version that matches your installation. For the sake of demonstration, I’m gong to use index:6, but be sure to use the actual index that matches your installation. With that information in mind (and remember, I’m just using 6 for the sake of demonstration) type

dism /export-image /sourceimagefile:install.esd /sourceindex:6 /destinationimagefile:install.wim /compress:max /checkintegrity

and hit Enter. This will take a little while. When it completes, you will have an install.wim file in the ESD-WIM folder, but the index will now be index:1, since there is only one extracted install.wim. Now type

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:c:\esd-wim\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

After that finishes, if the results in the command window say that the operation completed successfully, run

sfc /scannow

and let us know what messages that gives you. If you get an error message on the dism command, let us know that one, too.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1950829 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

bbearren,

Thanks so much for the detailed very clear instructions to follow. All went fine until the final DISM command. After it finished, apparently unsuccessfully, the same DISM error as I reported in my previous post was displayed. So, I did not follow with the SFC command.

–rfinney

• #1950845 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

Went back to the command prompt window and saw some things I missed the first time. First, DISM stopped at 87%. Now, hopefully of more importance, there was an error code:

Error: 0x800f081f

I am off to do some searching . . .

–rfinney

• #1950849 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

Thanks so much for the detailed very clear instructions to follow. All went fine until the final DISM command. After it finished, apparently unsuccessfully, the same DISM error as I reported in my previous post was displayed.

I’m guessing that you used the same MCT USB/DVD that you used when you did the in-place upgrade.

I suggest you create a fresh copy from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and follow that same procedure again.

• #1950852 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

That’s a dot NET error.  I would still go with creating fresh installation media, and going through the procedure again.  It kinda all ties together.

• #1951071 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

bbearren,

You are right . . I re-used the MCT DVD. So I created fresh media and ran your specified steps again. As before everything was fine until the last DISM command. This time it completed 89.8% and then threw out the same error number & message. I really thought it might work this time . . very disappointing. Thanks for your continuing efforts to assist.

–rfinney

• #1951218 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

A couple of things.  First, go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features and click on Turn Windows features on or off.  Make sure there is a check in the box for .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0).

Let us know the results.  I’ll stay with you on this.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1951396 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

I found that the box contained a dark square . . so I clicked the + sign to find what items were not enabled. The two boxes about Windows Communication Foundation were unchecked. So I checked them and the main box also became checked. So I would think that .NET 3.5 was checked all along. Anyway, now it certainly is. I would not think that all this adds up to running the last commands again, but I defer to your advice.

–rfinney

• #1951669 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

Yes, run them again, except this time use

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:c:\esd-wim\install.wim:1

for the dism command.  The /limitaccess switch keeps dism from going online to get files from Windows Update.  If some file(s) are missing from your .NET Framework, or possibly corrupt, dism can go online to get whatever is necessary.  It may take a little longer for the process to complete.

• #1952220 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

bbearren,

The last DISM stopped at 89.5% with the exact same error code & message. BTW, I have been downloading a new MCT for each of these attempts and then going on from there. Assuming you still want me to do it this way?

thanks,

–rfinney

• #1952268 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

I have been downloading a new MCT for each of these attempts and then going on from there. Assuming you still want me to do it this way?

Yes, that’s good; something is wrong, somewhere.  A year or so ago I had a similar issue and finally discovered that the dism tool itself was corrupt.  I had to restore a drive image about 6 weeks old before I finally got it to run correctly.

For now, using what you have, run a couple of commands to check if the dism tool is working correctly.  Making sure you are logged in as a member of the Administrators group, and right-clicking Command Prompt and selecting Run as administrator, run

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

That one may run rather quickly, and may say that there are no service packs to clean up, or words to that effect.  Next, run

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase

That one should take a little longer.  Let us know the results of each.

• #1952281 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

Here are the results . .

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
      Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18362.239

Service Pack Cleanup cannot proceed: No Service Pack backup files were found.
      The operation completed successfully.

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase

[==========================100.0%==========================]

• #1952312 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

Interesting.  My Image Version is 10.0.18362.356

But both of those commands completed successfully. Without creating a fresh MCT, try running

again.  Let us know the results.

• #1952317 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

Well, so much for good results. This time . . right back to the same old error number & message (completion at 89.6%).

–rfinney

• #1952667 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

Interesting. My Image Version is 10.0.18362.356

That’s curious.  I just created a fresh MCT and my Image Version is still 10.0.18362.356.

Logged on as a member of the administrators group, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator, then try this command

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded /source:c:\esd-wim\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

It will finish quickly.  Let us know the results.

It will give you a couple of errors, but it will also list the Image Version number, and that’s what I’m really interested in.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 21 hours ago by  bbearren.
    • #1952896 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

Result is as follows:

• #1952931 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

Okay.  From an elevated Command Prompt, run

dism /online /get-targeteditions

and let us know the results.  I’ve got another one after that.

• #1952941 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

Result is as follows:

Editions that can be upgraded to:

Target Edition : ProfessionalEducation
      Target Edition : ProfessionalWorkstation
      Target Edition : Education
      Target Edition : ProfessionalCountrySpecific
      Target Edition : ProfessionalSingleLanguage
      Target Edition : ServerRdsh
      Target Edition : IoTEnterprise
      Target Edition : Enterprise

• #1952983 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

It seems to me that you’re missing a servicing stack update.  I suggest doing another in-place upgrade (repair/re-install) and when that completes, open an elevated Command Prompt and run

dism /online /get-targeteditions

again, and let us know the results.  Hopefully your Image Version updates to 356.  But don’t do anything else.  There’s a couple more things that need to be done.

• #1953003 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

Yup, I think you are right about missing an SSU. Before all this, when I was on 1809, I thought I was missing an SSU. That was the reason I tried to unpause updates, so I could get that SSU installed. Then when I got kicked up to 1903 after the in-place upgrade, it looks like I am still missing an SSU.

I have this bad feeling that when I use a fresh MCT and fresh media for the in-place upgrade, I will still be on 239, not 356. That is exactly what happened when I did my second in-place. I believe I had already seen that folks were on 356 and was expecting that to happen. My memory may be off about that, though, so I can’t really be sure. I can’t even guess why that would happen.

So I will do my next in-place, run the DISM command, and post. I hope to have time to do it tonight, otherwise be tomorrow. Stay tuned and thanks again for all the time & work you are doing. I really don’t know what I would do without you.

–rfinney

• #1953079 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

So I will do my next in-place, run the DISM command, and post. I hope to have time to do it tonight, otherwise be tomorrow. Stay tuned and thanks again for all the time & work you are doing. I really don’t know what I would do without you.

That’s what I’m here for.  I’ll be checking in on you.

• #1953304 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

Success in updating to 356! After the in-place completed, I was so anxious to see what happened that I ran a ver command and got the good news.

Then signed into an administrator’s account and ran your DISM. Here are the results:

Image Version: 10.0.18362.356

Editions that can be upgraded to:

Target Edition : ProfessionalEducation
      Target Edition : ProfessionalWorkstation
      Target Edition : Education
      Target Edition : ProfessionalCountrySpecific
      Target Edition : ProfessionalSingleLanguage
      Target Edition : ServerRdsh
      Target Edition : IoTEnterprise
      Target Edition : Enterprise

So finally some good news, perhaps a breakthrough. No more rushing from here, so I’ll just await your next suggestion.

–rfinney

• #1953430 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

That’s good news!  Let’s see if we can seal it in.  Logged in as a member of the Administrators group, open an elevated Command Prompt (right-click > Run as administrator) and run

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If that completes successfully, reboot, log in as a member of the Administrators group, open an elevated Command Prompt and run

sfc /scannow

and don’t go any further, yet.  Let us know the results.

• #1953718 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

The good news has ended. Here is the result of the DISM:

Use the “Source” option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

• #1954223 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

Don’t despair, we’re in a much better condition than previously.  We need to check a couple of things, beginning with group policy.  Be sure you’re logged in as a member of the Administrators group.  Open the group policy editor and go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System.  Click on System to open the right pane.  In the right pane. scroll down to Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair, and double-click it.  Click the radio button for Enabled if it isn’t.

I’m guessing you use a USB thumb drive for your MCT.  Plug it in and open Explorer to see what drive letter has been assigned to it.  Using that drive letter (I’ll use X for example), from an elevated Command Prompt run

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all /source:X:\sources\sxs

If that completed successfully, go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features and click on Turn Windows features on or off. Make sure there is a check in the box for .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0).

Refer to this post and extract install.wim as you’ve done before, then run

Let us know the results.

• #1955359 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

Everything fine until the last DISM command:

• #1955509 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

Let’s go back to here: Be sure you’re logged in as a member of the Administrators group. Open the group policy editor and go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System. Click on System to open the right pane. In the right pane. scroll down to Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair, and double-click it.

There is a textbox in the left middle labeled “Alternate source file path”.  In that textbox type

wim: c:\esd-wim\install.wim:1

You can also put a check in the checkbox by “Download repair content and optional features…”  Then click OK

Open an elevated Command Prompt and type

gpupdate /force

and hit enter. Then try

again and let us know the results.

• #1955531 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Plus

I don’t use Win10. All of my computers are Win7. I recall when MS broke WU on Win7 computers in early December 2017. The result is that the WU service would not run. One solution was to set the computer’s date to Nov 30, 2017 and then perform a check for updates. Then set the computer’s date back to the current date. Another solution was to deselect searching for other MS products when checking for updates. See:

Windows Update for Win7 broken, throwing error 80248015

and

Windows Update Service Not Running!

Perhaps the OP should try setting the computer’s date to a couple of months ago and then see if checking for updates is successful.

• #1955638 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

bbearren,

I got the same exact result as last time. It finished at 100%, same as before, with the same error number & message. And image version still shows 356. Will await for next steps.

Thanks as always,

–rfinney

• #1955646 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

GoneToPlaid,

Thanks for responding as I continue to try and resolve this issue. I would not have been able to do much of anything on my own. The issue is not really being able to run WU. It appears to run just fine, but when I delay or pause updates, then I am not able to undo the pause and resume WU. The only thing that works at that point is doing an in-place upgrade. I have performed three of them very recently. So, stopped pausing for now until I can get further along (all with bbearren’s help).

thanks,

rfinney

• #1955652 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

Another solution was to deselect searching for other MS products when checking for updates.

Forgot to mention that I have tried this with no change. In fact, I believe it is still set that way unless yesterday’s in-place checked it (I believe the default is unchecked so it should be still set that way). Maybe I will try your other suggestion at a later point.

–rfinney

• #1955967 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

I got the same exact result as last time. It finished at 100%, same as before, with the same error number & message. And image version still shows 356. Will await for next steps.

Try a complete shutdown and power-off; that is, do a normal shutdown of the PC, then turn off the PSU and wait about a minute.  Turn the PSU back on and start the PC.  Once it has booted up completely, log in as a member of the Administrators group, open an elevated Command Prompt and run

Let us know the results.

• #1956366 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

Looks like the same old, same old . . .

• #1957456 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

A quick recap to make certain that we’re still on the same page:

You created, early on, a folder on your C: drive named ESD-WIM.

In that folder C:\ESD-WIM is your latest extracted install.wim file.

In Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > System > Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair you have the radio button ticked by Enabled.  In the Alternate source file path you have (without the quotes) “wim: c:\esd-wim\install.wim:1” and a check in the box beside Download repair content and optional features…

You keep getting 0x800f081f error code, which is pretty much .NET 3.5 related in most every case.

What I would like to you try next is to plug in you latest MCT USB and copy the entire contents to C:\ESD-WIM.  It won’t interfere with the install.wim that’s already there.

There is a possibility that Windows has set .NET 4.8 as the default, and that could be causing the difficulty with .NET 3.5, which is necessary for Windows Update as well as DISM.

Logged in as a member of the Administrators group  Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off.  Uncheck .NET Framework 4.8 Advanced Services, click OK and when that completes, reboot.

After reboot, again log in as a member of the Administrators group, go back to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off and uncheck .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0).  Click OK, and when that completes, shut down and do a cold start as I described in a previous post.

Once you’re rebooted and logged in as a member of the Administrators group, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off and put a check by .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) and click OK.  When that finishes, reboot.

Let us know the results, and we’ll proceed from there.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 13 hours ago by  bbearren.
    • #1957525 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

Is this relevant to the .NET 3.5 situation?

We covered that here, and will likely get back to it.

This is a convoluted problem with his Windows installation―it isn’t just a singular issue.  If you’ll peruse the entire thread, you’ll see that it took a few odds and ends to get his image version up to the current level.  The “Pause updates” feature is broken because it’s missing some pieces.  DISM keeps erroring out because it, too, is missing some pieces.

That’s what we are about in this thread―getting the missing pieces put in place properly, and getting his Windows installation up to speed and fully functional.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1958065 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

What I would like to you try next is to plug in you latest MCT USB and copy the entire contents to C:\ESD-USB

Assumed you meant C:\ESD-WIM

Logged in as a member of the Administrators group  Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off.  Uncheck .NET Framework 4.8 Advanced Services, click OK and when that completes, reboot.

I noticed that .NET Framework 4.8 had a dark square, not a checkmark. I found that ASP.NET 4.8 had a check, only TCP Port Sharing was checked (under WCF Services). Anyway, I tried to completely uncheck .NET Framework 4.8 and got a message that said that 3.5 was dependent upon 4.8 and if I wanted to continue, then 3.5 would also become unchecked. So I went ahead with unchecking and then rebooted.

After reboot, again log in as a member of the Administrators group, go back to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off and uncheck .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0).  Click OK, and when that completes, shut down and do a cold start as I described in a previous post.

I went ahead with this by completely unchecking 3.5 (before I rebooted, Windows had not unchecked all parts of 3.5). Then did a cold start.

Once you’re rebooted and logged in as a member of the Administrators group, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off and put a check by .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) and click OK.  When that finishes, reboot.

When I tried to check 3.5, I get an expected message that said 3.5 is dependent on 4.8. So I am not sure what you want to do from here. I have not checked either 3.5 or 4.8 and they are both completely blank right now. I wasn’t sure if you wanted me to run the last DISM, but since it wasn’t part of your instructions and because things have gone differently than expected, I decided to just stop here and wait.

keeping the faith,

–rfinney

• #1958221 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

Assumed you meant C:\ESD-WIM

Indeed.  I’ve edited the post to correct my error.

When I tried to check 3.5, I get an expected message that said 3.5 is dependent on 4.8. So I am not sure what you want to do from here. I have not checked either 3.5 or 4.8 and they are both completely blank right now. I wasn’t sure if you wanted me to run the last DISM, but since it wasn’t part of your instructions and because things have gone differently than expected, I decided to just stop here and wait.

First, put a check by 3.5 and click OK.  Windows may well provide you with some additional information and suggestions.  Follow the information/suggestions.  If you need to add 4.8 first, then do that.  What we need to wind up with is both 3.5 and 4.8 with a clear check, not black boxes.

Once you’ve completed that and rebooted, check to see that both 3.5 and 4.8 have all sub-boxes checked.

If that is what you find, then run the dism command

Let us know the results.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 13 hours ago by  bbearren.
    • #1958397 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

First, put a check by 3.5 and click OK.  Windows may well provide you with some additional information and suggestions.

Well, much to my surprise (and consternation) I am not able to put a check by 3.5. First, I get this error:

0x80070490  We couldn’t find required files to complete the requested changes. Make sure you’re connected to the internet and try again.

I checked my internet connection and it was absolutely fine. I tried again to put a check by 3.5 and got the same result. Then I tried just putting a check by 4.8. by checking both sub-categories. Then I got this error:

0x80070422  We couldn’t complete the requested changes. The service couldn’t be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Once you’ve completed that and rebooted, check to see that both 3.5 and 4.8 have all sub-boxes checked.

So unfortunately I never got close to getting both boxes checked. I kept trying different checks and sequences of checks, usually getting the 0x80070422 error or some variation of that error. At times, I get messages with two options, one of them being to download needed files or updates. When I try to use that option, it leads to the 0x80070422 error.

It seems that WU is not functioning at all right now and has been broken for quite awhile. When I go into Settings>Update & Security>Windows Update, everything looks like it is working. We already know that if I pause updates, then WU is broken. Now it would appear that while WU looks fine, it is not. To further check on this, I decided to try clicking on Check for Updates, and I get the same error as I got after trying to resume updates when they were paused. This would seem to be expected with 3.5 not working. I wonder if it has been working at all, even when checked.

–rfinney

• #1958405 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

If you have done this:

What I would like to you try next is to plug in you latest MCT USB and copy the entire contents to C:\ESD-WIM. It won’t interfere with the install.wim that’s already there.

Then, logged in as a member of the Administrators group, open an elevated Command Prompt and run

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all /source:c:\esd-wim\sources\sxs

Let us know the results.

• #1958406 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

For your MCT media are you using DVD or USB thumb-drive?

• #1958419 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

bbearren wrote: What I would like to you try next is to plug in you latest MCT USB and copy the entire contents to C:\ESD-WIM. It won’t interfere with the install.wim that’s already there.

I had already done this . . guess I didn’t think to confirm in my last email.

Then, logged in as a member of the Administrators group, open an elevated Command Prompt and run dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all /source:c:\esd-wim\sources\sxs

Here is the result:

Enabling feature(s)

For your MCT media are you using DVD or USB thumb-drive?

I had started with USB thumb-drives but didn’t want to throw away any of the MCT installations. Ran out of thumb-drives and have switched to DVD media. starting with the last MCT (the 356 version).

–rfinney

• #1958824 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

I had started with USB thumb-drives but didn’t want to throw away any of the MCT installations. Ran out of thumb-drives and have switched to DVD media. starting with the last MCT (the 356 version).

I’m assuming you still have the ISO file.  More on that later.

Double-check via Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off that 3.5 has a clear check in the checkbox and 4.8 has at least a black box.  At this point don’t worry about checking the rest of the sub-boxes under 4.8

Next, logged in as a member of the Administrators group, open an elevated Command Prompt and run

If that finishes with anything other than “completed successfully”, download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.  Scroll down to select Windows 10, then click on the link, and select Open.

Let us know the results.

I’ve been mirroring what I’ve been asking you to do on the B side of my dual boot, and not having any of the problems that are turning up for you.  When I uninstalled 3.5 and 4.8 I got the warnings you got, but did it anyway and rebooted.

But where you couldn’t get them to reinstall without using the dism command, I put a check in the box by 3.5, Windows said it would have to go online to get the files, I clicked OK and it went online, got the files and installed 3.5 and the necessary portions of 4.8.

I rebooted, went to Windows Update & Security, clicked Check for updates, and Windows Update downloaded and installed a signature file for Defender.

What I’m looking for now with your installation is whether dism.exe is truly OK now, and what, if anything, the Windows Update Troubleshooter can tell us.  We still have options; keep the faith.

• #1959042 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

Double-check via Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off that 3.5 has a clear check in the checkbox and 4.8 has at least a black box.  At this point don’t worry about checking the rest of the sub-boxes under 4.8

I was able to get a check by 3.5  and a black box by 4.8. Windows 10 said it had to download some files, and I thought . . oh, no, this won’t work. But it took just a few seconds and Win 10 was able to find and install the files. I thought this might be a good sign.

Next, logged in as a member of the Administrators group, open an elevated Command Prompt and run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:c:\esd-wim\install.wim:1

After DISM appeared to complete, it displayed 100% completed, and hopes were raised some more. But then . . after a short wait . . our old “friend,” error 0x800f081f appeared.

If that finishes with anything other than “completed successfully”, download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.  Scroll down to select Windows 10, then click on the link, and select Open.

I then ran the WU Troubleshooter, and got the same result as I had all the previous times (lost count) I had run it. It just tells me that it couldn’t find the problem. I expanded the results by clicking the link towards the bottom of the Troubleshooter (forget what it’s actually called) and read through them . . and indeed all steps were passed fine.

Just a heads up: My wife and I are going away very soon. I may have some time tomorrow to try something before we go, but not sure about that. We will be gone 10-11 days and not available to do anything with the computer I have been working on. I expect to start back up on Tues, Oct. 11.

Thanks so much for everything so far. I do believe that with your help, this problem will solved.

–rfinney

• #1959118 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

As usual, everything that follows is logged in as a member of the Administrators group, and executables (Command Prompt, dism, etc.) are Run as administrator.

I’m assuming you still have the ISO image that you burned to DVD.  In Explorer, navigate to that ISO, right-click and select Mount.  The ISO will be mounted as a VHD and open another Explorer window.  Copy the entire contents to C:\ESD-WIM, and when asked if you want to overwrite files, click on Yes and put a check in the box to do the same to all such files.

I’m suspecting some corruption in the burned DVD, but the ISO should be good.  Once that copy is complete, you can un-mount the ISO.  In the ESD-WIM folder, rename install.wim to install.wim1.

Following the instructions in this post, extract a fresh install.wim.  Once you’ve accomplished that, run

Again.  Let us know the results.

• #1959206 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

Copy the entire contents to C:\ESD-WIM, and when asked if you want to overwrite files, click on Yes and put a check in the box to do the same to all such files. I’m suspecting some corruption in the burned DVD, but the ISO should be good.  Once that copy is complete, you can un-mount the ISO.  In the ESD-WIM folder, rename install.wim to install.wim1.

This part went fine. I did notice something a bit odd, at least to me, hopefully not you. When the prompt came up about overwriting all files instead of just the current file, it said that it was copying 1,029 files from the source (mounted ISO) to the destination. I just happen to  know that C:\ESD-WIM contains 946 files (the message prompt also said ESD-WIM had 946 files). Anyway, I went ahead with the rest of the copying. When finished, I checked the ESD-WIM folder again and it still read 946.

Following the instructions in this post, extract a fresh install.wim.  Once you’ve accomplished that, run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:c:\esd-wim\install.wim:1

No problem doing these steps, except for the result (the usual):

Use the “Source” option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

–rfinney

• #1959254 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

I’ll be back with you shortly.  I’m trying something to make sure it works before I suggest it to you.  Won’t be long.

• #1959265 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

I’m back, it works for me.  Logged on as a member of the Administrators group, open an elevated Command Prompt and navigate to C:\ESD-WIM.; your prompt should read C:\ESD-WIM>

Type

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:install.wim:1

and hit Enter.  Let us know the results.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 13 hours ago by  bbearren.
    • #1959282 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:install.wim:1 and hit Enter.  Let us know the results.

No change at all . . exactly the same as my last post.

–rfinney

• #1959313 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

At this point I suggest another in-place upgrade.  You can run it from the C:\ESD-WIM folder logged on as a member of the Administrators group; just right-click setup.exe and select Run as administrator.

You may want to wait until you return from your trip.  It won’t require starting from scratch, though, because most of the changes you’ve made will remain in place.

• #1959345 Reply

rfinney
      AskWoody Plus

OK, I think I will wait until I return to do another in-place. I’m sure you absolutely know what you are doing, but I have to ask anyway about running setup.exe. You are sure that it won’t lead me into a fresh re-install that erases my installation hard drive? Will I have to check any options, like keep my files or not? I really, really don’t want to make any false moves. I will be in touch after I get back and have performed the upgrade.

–rfinney

• #1959415 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

I have to ask anyway about running setup.exe. You are sure that it won’t lead me into a fresh re-install that erases my installation hard drive? Will I have to check any options, like keep my files or not? I really, really don’t want to make any false moves. I will be in touch after I get back and have performed the upgrade.

Yes, after you have initiated setup and the procedure begins, you’ll quickly arrive at the license agreement.  Accept the license agreement, and you will then be given the choice to keep your files and settings or change what to keep.

It won’t force a clean install; that decision is yours.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: After updates paused unable to resume updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.