• Always have parts on hand

Home » Forums » Newsletter and Homepage topics » Always have parts on hand

Author
    Topic

My office PC was getting a bit tight on it’s C drive and then I wanted to upgrade my spare hard drive to a SSD drive. I copied the spare drive to the
    [See the full post at: Always have parts on hand]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady/Prudent patcher

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 10 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I have a big box where I keep all sort of old cables, switched, old HDDs…

1 user thanked author for this post.

Same here, although its a couple of shelves worth of boxes!

All my old HDD’s/SSD’s (12 and counting) are in various external enclosures I’ve purchased over the years (mostly StarTech USB’s.)

My cable collection is quite extensive (ribbon, serial, parallel, SCSI, SATA, power, coax, Cat5, etc., etc.) because I have the tools/expertise needed to repair most of them and never throw one out unless it’s been damaged beyond repair.

I also have several of those small plastic divider boxes with various small screws, nuts, washers, stand-offs, spacers, adapters, etc. that came with the H/W I’ve purchased or upgraded over the years.

My collection has come in handy more than once over the years whenever I’ve needed a part or a cable to fix or connect something!

Several months ago, I decided that we were getting overwhelmed by our cables in storage – five large plastic tubs full of them.

Spent an afternoon sorting them by type and length.

Then placed three of each type/length into plastic zip bags and placed the zip bags back into the tubs.

The number of tubs shrank from the original five to three.

So what cables we dared not to get rid of boiled down to three of each type and length.

It’s not just cables with me, it’s all the old appliances they connected to as well. No matter how redundant, obsolete or broken they might be, I can rarely bring myself to throw them out. I think I learnt it from my late father. Even when sawing a small bit off a length of wood he would keep the off-cut, saying “You never know when that might come in handy, son”!

While we are pretty good at getting rid of old appliances, we, like your father, have been collecting scraps of wood out in the workshop for decades. It stacked in the corners, fills several large tubs under one of the workbenches, and is stacked neatly in the shed.

It may be a good thing.  Oil supply and refining capacity are tight throughout the world this year. And in our area, there is a possibility of rationing home heating oil this winter. The scraps of wood may come in handy as winter fuel.

But there is a large amount of computer related detritus that we tend to accumulate.

Old computers – we have several shelves of them in storage dating back to the time of DOS. Periodically, we pull one of them off the shelf and update Windows 7 and/or Windows 10.

For good or evil, a 2009 vintage Toshiba Satellite A505-S6985 running Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (updated Windows 10), having Intel Core 2 Duo processor, T6600, NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M graphics, 4GB DDR3 800MHz of RAM, and a 250GB (5400 RPM) Serial ATA hard disk drive was on my desk ready to be updated yesterday.

Plugged it in, it made some funny sounds when it started to boot, and promptly gave an error message. Made multiple attempts to recover the system using Toshiba Recovery Discs from 2009, 2011, and 2016.  All failed. After running recovery discs for four or five hours the decision was made to recycle the machine. One less computer in storage. But then again, should we keep it for parts? I don’t think so.

Now it comes down to what to do with the recovery CDs. Included in the sets are discs of applications including Microsoft Works 9, Internet Explorer 8, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Google Toolbar, Dolby Sound Room, Corel DVD MovieFactory, Sun Java 2 Runtime Environment, and WildTangent Orb Game Console. All the applications date from 2009.  Is any of the software worth keeping? Should I put the CDs back in the tub of DOS, Windows XP, Windows 7, or Windows 10 software? Or should I just throw all the discs out? A decision to be made later – CDs do not take up much space.

Then there are wall warts. How many of each voltage/amperage should we keep?

How many mice, keyboards, and monitors are reasonable number to have in storage?

We also have at least two tubs of manuals and several bookshelves containing 1986 vintage Epson Equity 1 and Leading Edge Model D computer manuals as well as manuals for software such as Access 2000. Yes, back in the dawn of history computers and software came with bound manuals.

Should we keep all the manuals or clean up the shop?

They do not take up that much space so I guess they are safer now.

My first computer (1993 vintage) came with both a 3½” and a 5¼” floppy drive.  I only used the 5¼” drive for a short time before it became obsolete.  So I removed it, and filled that slot in the computer with a CD ROM unit.  I put the 5¼” floppy drive in a box along with the special IDE floppy cable it used.  I still have that old 5¼” drive and cable tucked away for “a time when I may need it”.  I don’t plan on getting rid of it either.

Being 20 something in the 70's was more fun than being 70 something in the 20's

I read recently somewhere that some important military hardware is dependent upon floppy disks; hope they have the spares they need.

“So what cables do you have that you don’t dare get rid of?”

All of them!

I never get rid of something that works. If the cable is dead, I think of whether I can repurpose one or the other end of it (the good end, whatever it may be), and if not, I can throw it out… but if there is a potential use for it, even if it is obsolete, I keep it.

Dell XPS 13/9310, i5-1135G7/16GB, KDE Neon
      XPG Xenia 15, i7-9750H/32GB & GTX1660ti, KDE Neon
      Acer Swift Go 14, i5-1335U/16GB, KDE Neon (and Win 11)

SPARE HARD DRIVES

I have only one computer with a secure up-to-date operating system, namely Windows 10. About once a month I create a system image of that computer on an external hard drive using Macrium Reflect. If the solid state drive in that computer suddenly dies, which I understand can happen with little warning, I would have no way to access the internet on a secure machine, even to search for and purchase a new hard drive.

Having a spare hard drive on hand would seem to be a good idea. What do you all think?

If you have any computers that are in working order, with up-to-date or not-up-to-date OSes, you could always use a Linux live USB drive to boot into Linux and browse from there. With most distros, all you have to do is download the .iso, write it to the USB drive, then just boot it up and start using it. If you have an ethernet connection, just plug it in and go, and if you use wifi, just click your SSID from the list, enter your password, then start browsing. Doing that will not install anything to the PC (unless you tell it to) and does not require there to be a hard drive or SSD present to work.

You can also use a live USB to rescue a Windows installation or access files when Windows is not working, since Linux can read and write Windows NTFS volumes without an issue.

It would not be a bad idea to have one hanging around in case you ever need one.

Personally, I have the opposite problem. I have so many PCs that I really can’t justify having so many other than that I like them!

Dell XPS 13/9310, i5-1135G7/16GB, KDE Neon
        XPG Xenia 15, i7-9750H/32GB & GTX1660ti, KDE Neon
        Acer Swift Go 14, i5-1335U/16GB, KDE Neon (and Win 11)

2 users thanked author for this post.

Having a spare hard drive on hand would seem to be a good idea. What do you all think?

Great idea, that’s what I have, and I also have the operating system cloned on it and kept up to date.  I have it installed in my mid-tower main machine.

Being 20 something in the 70's was more fun than being 70 something in the 20's

Nothing younger than 20-25 years old gets thrown out, and even then, it has to meet the Criteria of if it’s still working.

Obscure Apple Cables tend to be a niche market, so if you’re technology has irrevocably moved on advertise and sell it for a modest sum. You’ll be surprised how many people out there that are facing Susan’s cabling dilemma.

It’s better to get a couple of bucks for an old Cable and someone gets some use out of it than to throw it in the Bin.

Although a Box of dusty old Wires and Cables in the Office is far from conducive to domestic harmony, and has nearly “bit the dust” a few times in my absence.  😱

So we are ALL hoarders ? 😂
      Yup Me too as my GF likes to remind me, and remind me and…

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
      4 users thanked author for this post.

It’s always after one throws things out that those things are needed later so, I’m in the ‘tech hoarders’ section and have been for 30+ years. Kicked myself too often in the distant past for chucking something out that was later needed in a project or as a workaround.

For those who wish to hoard more,.. don’t throw out those USB-C charging cables if you reside in the EU 😉
        https://borncity.com/win/2022/10/25/standard-fr-usb-c-ladekabel-beschlossen/

Win8.1/R2 Hybrid lives on...

Cell phone charger.

On permanent hiatus {with backup and coffee}
      offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3 WindowsDefender
      offline▸ Acer TravelMate P215-52 RAM8GB Win11Pro 22H2.22621.1265 x64 i5-10210U SSD Firefox106.0 MicrosoftDefender
      online▸ Win11Pro 22H2.22621.1992 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox116.0b3 MicrosoftDefender
    Viewing 10 reply threads
    Reply To: Always have parts on hand

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: