News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Am I getting updates for Office 2016 from Microsoft?

Posted on Moondoggy Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 2016 for PC Am I getting updates for Office 2016 from Microsoft?

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Moondoggy
        AskWoody Plus

Earlier this year I upgraded from Office Pro 2010 to 2016 because 2010 was at end of life this year.  When I had Office 2010 installed, on Patch Tuesday, I would see updates for Office, Word, etc. listed in the updates to be downloaded and applied but with 2016 applied I’m not seeing anything related to office being downloaded.   I looked inside Word and it say that “Updates to this Office product are enabled by default and are downloaded through your Internet connection and installed automatically” and I confirmed that this setting is turned on.  But my question is how do you know if this is happening?

The thing that concerns me is that after I purchased and installed this copy of 2016 Office Pro I found out that this copy is a “PLUS” version that is supposed to be sold to corporate users and is not supposed to be sold directly to consumers over the counter so I’m worried that a PLUS version may require a manual update.

Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

• #2305447 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

What you probably have installed is Office 2016 C2R which gets its updates directly from MS, not the persistent version that is updated through Windows Update.

• #2305453 Reply
        Moondoggy

Thanks.  Word says that updates are automatic but my question is how do I know of they’re really being applied?  My question was prompted by the the fact that in today’s copy of “Ask Woody”., Susan Bradly said that there were updates this month but I have no clue as to whether they have been applied or not?.  That’s my question.

• #2305470 Reply
        CraigS26
        AskWoody Plus

In a Word doc Clk File, then way below on (for me) left blue border: Account. Then bottom Right: – About WORD – mine shows it’s Click-to-Run AND the Build #. A Search netted the following url for latest Retail Build# of ’16 & ’19 C2R, which appears to be the Only way you know; No List of KB #s as you might expect.

And, at CU time I usually go to the WORD Update Box above About WORD  (with bkup Images ready) Click the Check & Update Now. I cannot prove they’re auto-updated per my method of update now.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-2019

ABOUT-WORD-JPG

W10-64 1909 Pro / Hm-Stdnt Ofce '16 C2R / HP Envy Desktop-Ethernet/ 12 GB / 256G SSD + 1 TB HDD / i5-8400 Coffee Lake/ GP=2 + FtrU=Semi-Annual + Feature Defer = 1 + QU=0 + TRV = 2004

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by CraigS26.
        • This reply was modified 1 month ago by CraigS26.
        Attachments:
        • #2305553 Reply
          Moondoggy
          AskWoody Plus

CraigS26,

Thanks for the reply.  I followed your guide and found that the current build number shown in word matched the October 2020 build number in the link you provided.  This tells me that even though I can’t see the update history in the same manner as shown for Office 2010, updates are being applied.  Thank you for much for the information as this was exactly what I was looking for.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2305662 Reply
        CraigS26
        AskWoody Plus

Glad I could help.

Bookmark that Link as I did hoping it will update with Latest Build #s – &  we can continue to check IF we are Up-to-Date.

W10-64 1909 Pro / Hm-Stdnt Ofce '16 C2R / HP Envy Desktop-Ethernet/ 12 GB / 256G SSD + 1 TB HDD / i5-8400 Coffee Lake/ GP=2 + FtrU=Semi-Annual + Feature Defer = 1 + QU=0 + TRV = 2004

• #2305676 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

See Release information for updates to Microsoft 365 Apps as a starting point if you want to dig into the changes for each update. As usual with Microsoft, you’ll be led down the rabbit hole when you investigate documentation but it is there.

--Joe

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Am I getting updates for Office 2016 from Microsoft?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.