News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Am I seeing this correctly?

Posted on carmicklec Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Questions: Win 8.1 (and Win 8) Am I seeing this correctly?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  carmicklec 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

carmicklec
      AskWoody Lounger

I approved the following updates yesterday earlier in the morning through WSUS for my 8.1 VM (test machine)

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB4074736)

2018-02 Security Only Quality Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB4074597)

My VM Crashed late in the day so when I got in this morning I was checking through the event logs and ran across the following

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient

Date:          2/15/2018 3:53:29 PM

Event ID:      17

Task Category: Automatic Updates

Level:         Information

Keywords:      Success,Download

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      <computername>.<Domain>.com

Description:

Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation:

– Microsoft.ZuneVideo

– Microsoft.ZuneMusic

– Microsoft.Office.OneNote

– Microsoft.BingSports

– Microsoft.BingNews

– Microsoft.Reader

– Microsoft.BingFoodAndDrink

– Microsoft.BingWeather

– Microsoft.ZuneMusic

– Microsoft.BingNews

– Microsoft.SkypeApp

– Microsoft.WindowsScan

– Microsoft.ZuneMusic

– Microsoft.BingWeather

– Microsoft.ZuneVideo

– Microsoft.BingNews

– Microsoft.BingFinance

– Microsoft.BingNews

– Microsoft.BingTravel

– Microsoft.WindowsReadingList

– Microsoft.ZuneVideo

– Microsoft.BingFinance

– Microsoft.ZuneMusic

– Microsoft.BingWeather

– Microsoft.BingFinance

– Microsoft.BingHealthAndFitness

– Microsoft.ZuneVideo

– Microsoft.ZuneVideo

– Microsoft.BingFoodAndDrink

– microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps

So I don’t have zune or bing or skype installed. I don’t know anything about zune but I avoid bing like the plague and use skype only if absolutely necessary to conduct business. Microsoft seems to be very secretive about what is actually put into their updates, so I guess my question is; Is this list what is inside these “security” updates?

• #168110 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

I wonder how many of those may relate to Internet Explorer (i.e. the Bing-type mentions), in terms of updating search engine components (much like occur in Chrome, Firefox, routinely)?

I checked the .csv file linked in KB4074597, and there’s no specific mention of them in there, so looked at the KB4074736 .csv – it does mention Bing (icon), but not much else…

• #168113 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Could thos be the Win8.1 tile apps updating? If you have app update on automatic….
      And they probably don’t have a KB number coming from the MS Store.
      Some of the names are familiar – but I am so used to Classic Shell and not seing the Crapps at all – never see that menu.

• #168138 Reply

anonymous

There is a separate setting for app updates. It defaults to auto and has no user interface to change it. (Can be changed in the registry, I don’t have the exact key on hand at the moment)

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Am I seeing this correctly?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.