News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Am i the only one having problems with Windows Update?

Posted on Zaphyrus Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Am i the only one having problems with Windows Update?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by

Zaphyrus 4 days, 20 hours ago.

• Author

Zaphyrus
      AskWoody Lounger

At random intervals I am having problems connecting to the Windows Update server, I wanted to ask if I am the only one going through this, or if this is happening to lots of people

I know how to fix WU (So if its only me, I will repair it then)

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
    • #324635 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

As a quick test, use something like Nir Sofer’s QuickSetDNS to change from your current DNS to Google’s DNS to see if that solves the issue.

There’s been a few DNS issues recently (particularly with Comcast) but I thought they had been resolved now. See this article here on AskWoody for info and instructions how to change DNS manually.

Hope this helps…

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #324636 Reply

Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks alot Rick
        I already changed my DNS as you suggested
        and if its a DNS issue then I believe I am one of Windows 10 lastest victims.

I will test it for 3 days, if the problem is the same, I will report back. thanks for the quick reply.

I have another questions,  No problem if I decide to keep Google and Cloudfate DNS right?

• This reply was modified 6 days, 19 hours ago by
           Zaphyrus.
        • #325667 Reply

EP
          AskWoody_MVP

who’s your internet provider, Zaphyrus?

• #325726 Reply

Zaphyrus
            AskWoody Lounger

I am mexican, therefore Telmex is my provider , I ignore if they have any relationship with Comcast, however  I was one of the victims

• #324719 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

I have another questions, No problem if I decide to keep Google and Cloudfate DNS right?

No problem at all. I’ve been using Cloudflare for ages now.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #325296 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

As a quick test, use something like Nir Sofer’s QuickSetDNS 

Just fyi, I use Dns Jumper from Sordum for switching DNS—quick check of a few dozen services, easy to use.

There’s been a few DNS issues recently

Yeah, I ran DNS Jumper a couple of times just now, and it showed 6 services failing—4 in EU, 2 in US. I’ve never seen more than 1 fail before.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

• #325561 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

Windows 7 updated and moved to Group W per @Canadian Tech’s system…

Set to Never Check. I ran a manual check and got:

WU-2_12_2019

Which is normal…

Clicked on the 3 Important updates, to see what they are:

WU-2_12_2019-2

There are absolutely no updates listed… not Important, not any… definitely never had that happen before.

Then I go back and see this:

WU-2_12_2019-3

That has never, never happened…

I’ve re-run Windows Update several more times and get the same pattern and results each time.

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      • #325783 Reply

Elly
        AskWoody MVP

This wasn’t a DNS issue? At least it was consistent across a couple of different DNS…

But, it has resolved now, back to normal, expected behavior, after the Patch Tuesday patches were release.

May never see WU telling me I’m completely up to date, again…

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #326094 Reply

DrBonzo
        AskWoody Lounger

@elly – I’ve seen this sort of thing several times spread over a handful of Win 7 machines in the last 2 or 3 months. EVERY instance has occurred within about 10 hours either side of a B week Tuesday. Windows Update will tell me something I know is wrong, such as ‘2 optional updates available’ (there are 2 optionals available but there should also be a handful of important ones) or the green shield with the words no updates available.

I’m pretty sure this is not a DNS issue, but rather just the way Windows Update transitions from one months updates to the next; it does it in steps often spread out over a several hour span. First, everything is normal, then only optionals are available, then nothing is available, then the new month’s patches show up.

More generally, I’ve had minor issues with many MS web sites over the last couple months. Support pages, MS Security Essentials definition update page, emergency scan tool page, Update Catalog pages, have all been sporadically wonky – page won’t load or they look funny, downloads stop before finishing or won’t download at all, but nothing that a wait of usually 10-15 minutes doesn’t usually fix.

• #325843 Reply

Zaphyrus
      AskWoody Lounger

Update: I am still having downtimes, I suppose microsoft will have to do something about it, as for me, I am tired of always figuring out a way to fix this mess.

• #325918 Reply

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Zaphyrus
        have you tried using W10 the Windows Update troubleshooter?
        Within windows 10 go to: Settings > Update and Security > Troubleshoot > Windows Update
        or
        https://aka.ms/wudiag

| W10 Pro x64 1803 | W8.1 Pro x64 | Linux x64 Hybrids | W7/ XP Pro x64 O/L
          Can't see the wood for the trees? Look again!
        • #325928 Reply

Mr. Natural
          AskWoody Plus

Microfix, was it you that mentioned running ipconfig /flushdns? Someone did, it’s worth a shot.

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

• #326007 Reply

Zaphyrus
          AskWoody Lounger

Naturally, what happens to me, is tha the WU server is down for a few hours, and I think its not the fault of my laptop since it worked this morning, installing the non security updates.

• #325846 Reply

anonymous

Is there a method to discriminate between a DNS failure and a high traffic denial of service at the Microsoft server? It is Tuesday B after all.

When a trouble is transitory, and now reestablished, is there a log that would give this level of detail?

What I’ve seen discussed is trial and error, change your DNS setting to repair. But that does not exclude a coincidental, brief success that would have happened with the original settings as well.

Thanks for any instruction.

• #325860 Reply

Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

I wish I could help you, for now lets hope Windows fix this soon.

• #326581 Reply

anonymous

Thanks for the reply to acknowledge the question. There have been a few topic pages where the advice to change DNS is given to resolve similar complaints. I suppose I was hoping one of the contributors offering that advice could show a positive indication for why, beyond ‘try it and see.’

It is really hard to troubleshoot a problem that does not remain constant. And when it resolves it is best to just move on. I was curious for better information to apply to the next time this happens.

• #326604 Reply

Zaphyrus
            AskWoody Lounger

For now, lets just update when we really need to using manual updates and wait since this has to be fixed.

• #326189 Reply

Zaphyrus
      AskWoody Lounger

Newer update: it seems to be up and down for certain times, in my case its from 12:00pm-5:30pm (GTS-6)

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Am i the only one having problems with Windows Update?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.