News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Hacker steals data of 106 million people from Capital One

Posted on Nibbled To Death By Ducks Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories Hacker steals data of 106 million people from Capital One

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Geo 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

“What’s in your wallet?”

….besides Capital One’s hand, just about everyone, it seems.

I got so sick of this that I pay cash or check, money order, PayPal (yeah, I know) and shredded my credit cards after the Equifax hack. Which, incidentally, I am still suffering the effects from…(“No, I am NOT John Jeykyl Jenksinheimer Smith, and that is NOT my rap sheet…!”)

That’s it, I’m going to do the Walden thing once I learn how to play the flute.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/07/feds-former-cloud-worker-hacks-into-capital-one-and-takes-data-for-106-million-people/

[Moderator edit] changed title to more accurately reflect article.

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Wait for the all-clear", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
      --
      "...All the people, all the time..." (Peter Ustinov ad-lib from "Logan's Run")

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1896664 Reply

Fred
      AskWoody Plus

@ Ninbled….  thanks for sharing.

That’s it, I’m going to do the Walden thing once I learn how to play the flute.

https:// …. ……

[Moderator edit] changed title to more accurately reflect article.

YOU wrote a link, that was edited away: can you please give YOUR original text?

Thank you very much & regards.

© Microsoft 2019. All rights reserved. Reproduction or distribution of the content of this site, or any part thereof, without written permission of Microsoft is prohibited
      After all.. Just beacause we're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get us.

• #1896738 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

Fred, I see the full link and it worked.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"
    • #1896884 Reply

Mr. Natural
      AskWoody Plus

You may be surprised when you see pictures of the girl responsible. I’ll leave it at that.

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

• #1897790 Reply

Yup…this is not a well person judging from the pictures.  Frequent IT scenario:  Overworked, then canned due to poor performance, then the crackup. Details will follow in the news, I guess. I have as much compassion for her as I do for anyone bit by this breach. Latest accounts have her breaking down during arraignment.

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Wait for the all-clear", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
        --

• #1897780 Reply

Moderator: Thanks…I tend to post late at night, not a good practice for accuracy when exhaustion is an added feature. Mea Culpa.

--

• #1899494 Reply

Geo
      AskWoody Plus

“What’s in your wallet?” ….besides Capital One’s hand, just about everyone, it seems.

Capital One data breach: Could Seattle woman accused have more data?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Hacker steals data of 106 million people from Capital One

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.