News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Hacker steals data of 106 million people from Capital One

Posted on Nibbled To Death By Ducks Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories Hacker steals data of 106 million people from Capital One

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author

“What’s in your wallet?”

….besides Capital One’s hand, just about everyone, it seems.

I got so sick of this that I pay cash or check, money order, PayPal (yeah, I know) and shredded my credit cards after the Equifax hack. Which, incidentally, I am still suffering the effects from…(“No, I am NOT John Jeykyl Jenksinheimer Smith, and that is NOT my rap sheet…!”)

That’s it, I’m going to do the Walden thing once I learn how to play the flute.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/07/feds-former-cloud-worker-hacks-into-capital-one-and-takes-data-for-106-million-people/

[Moderator edit] changed title to more accurately reflect article.

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit ESU, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Patch List", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't auto-check for updates-Full Manual Mode." Linux Mint Greenhorn
        --
        "A committee is the only known form of life that has at least four legs and no brain."

-Robert Heinlein

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1896664 Reply
        Fred
        AskWoody Plus

@ Ninbled….  thanks for sharing.

That’s it, I’m going to do the Walden thing once I learn how to play the flute.

https:// …. ……

[Moderator edit] changed title to more accurately reflect article.

YOU wrote a link, that was edited away: can you please give YOUR original text?

Thank you very much & regards.

~ ~ ~
      • #1896738 Reply
        Berton
        AskWoody_MVP

Fred, I see the full link and it worked.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"
      • #1896884 Reply
        Mr. Natural
        AskWoody Plus

You may be surprised when you see pictures of the girl responsible. I’ll leave it at that.

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

• #1897790 Reply

Yup…this is not a well person judging from the pictures.  Frequent IT scenario:  Overworked, then canned due to poor performance, then the crackup. Details will follow in the news, I guess. I have as much compassion for her as I do for anyone bit by this breach. Latest accounts have her breaking down during arraignment.

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit ESU, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Patch List", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't auto-check for updates-Full Manual Mode." Linux Mint Greenhorn
          --
          "A committee is the only known form of life that has at least four legs and no brain."

-Robert Heinlein

• #1897780 Reply

Moderator: Thanks…I tend to post late at night, not a good practice for accuracy when exhaustion is an added feature. Mea Culpa.

--

-Robert Heinlein

• #1899494 Reply
        Geo
        AskWoody Lounger

“What’s in your wallet?” ….besides Capital One’s hand, just about everyone, it seems.

Capital One data breach: Could Seattle woman accused have more data?

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Hacker steals data of 106 million people from Capital One

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.