News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Amazon is about to share your Internet connection with neighbors

Home Forums Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories Amazon is about to share your Internet connection with neighbors

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author

The Great and Powerful Bezos is coming to a network near you! In fact, it’s yours!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/06/07/amazon-sidewalk-network/?itid=mr_1

“You have no control over what sort of data flows over Amazon’s new Sidewalk wireless network, which has been lying dormant in Echo smart speakers and Ring cameras … until now.”

…and this guy works for WaPo, which old chrome-dome owns. He better update that resume or retirement plan…

…and there are not now, or have even been, nor will be any “Smart” devices in my home, period.

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit ESU, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", 12GB RAM, Group "0Patch", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations. Linux Mint Greenhorn
        --
        "Civilization is fun! Anyway, it sure keeps me busy["

-Zippy

4 users thanked author for this post.
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

…and there are not now, or have even been, nor will be any “Smart” devices in my home, period.

I have managed without them all my life. I think I can continue to do so for what I have left of it. Also, I do not have the sort of neighbors that I could impress by showing off with some IoT gadgets. If I had such neighbors, I would not care to impress them. The simple life is not as bad as some may think. My fridge does not speak to me: It keeps cold what I want to keep cold. Mr Bezos has done some remarkable things, such as keeping the WaPo an example of good and independent journalism, and Amazon has been of great help to me during the worse of the pandemic. But he and his top executives are prone to overreach and to forget that people must be respected a priori. The customer might not be always right, but does have certain natural rights: the right to be treated fairly and without disturbing surprises such as turning on “Sidewalk”, for a start.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Sky
        MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

If I don’t have any Amazon devices, then it is not likely that Amazon can share my internet connection with anyone.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
        3 users thanked author for this post.
        Susan Bradley
        Manager
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Susan: The “continue reading” link in the “picture link” you have placed in your comment does not work, at least with my browser. Replacing the “picture” link with a plain brown link very likely should take care of this.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

All my devices are so old that the option doesn’t show up in the Alexa App!

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Amazon is about to share your Internet connection with neighbors

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.