News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • AMD-v on older Windows 7 PC

Posted on IreneLinda Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 AMD-v on older Windows 7 PC

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  IreneLinda 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

Great to be back in a Woody house now that Windows Secrets has merged!

I’m trying to load Local by Flywheel to do a test website, but partway through installation, I got an error message saying AMD-v needed to be enabled in BIOS.

2 questions:

1. Can this be done on an 8 year old computer?
      2. Is it something I can do myself if I’ve never touched BIOS before (though I know what it is)?

Or am I better to just forget about a local installation of WordPress and do it on a subdomain on our host?

Thanks for any advice on this!

Linda

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #351378 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Can you give us some information about your PC – make, model #, specs (processor capable of virtualization)?

Assuming Win7 (since that is the Forum), which version are you running?

• #351380 Reply

jabeattyauditor
      AskWoody Lounger

Local by Flywheel installs VirtualBox, which is why it’s pushing for the AMD-v feature to be enabled. Just FYI…

• #351428 Reply

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for your super fast responses. Local did install the Virtual Box, but got stalled on the Host Machine part.

PK – yes, Windows 7. I’ve attached screenshot for more details re. computer. It’s HP Pavilion, model P6620F, purchases December 2010.

I don’t know if the processor is capable of virtualization, given its age. Can you tell from this info?

Please elt me know if you need further information.

LindaPC-Info-for-Woodys

Attachments:
      • #351526 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Appears to be capable of virtualization. I think you can turn that on in the BIOS setup. If I remember right, access is ESC during boot. If you are not familiar, find a friend who is.

I tried once to run a virtual machine on a processor without virtualization (HP as a matter of fact, a  long time ago before I knew anything), and it was a disaster.

• #351686 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Well.

According to https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c02479654 , that model has an AMD Phenom II X4 820, and a N-Alvorix-RS880 motherboard with the AMD 785G chipset.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_processors , the processor does indeed have AMD-V support.

But, according to … well, rumors… the 785G chipset may not have the virtualization support that AMD-V may require. So, not sure if it’ll work.

• #351728 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

Perhaps updating the drivers beforehand might help?

• #401748 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Plus

I figure that Enable Virtualization is either present in BIOS or its not. If it is there, it should work. I have a computer with a 760G chipset, and virtualization does work.

• #413831 Reply

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

Wow, thank you all for this wonderful information. I apologize for the delay in responding: tied up in theme selection!!

After reading everyone’s input and discovering the level of technical knowledge required for this issue, I’m going to back away. Instead of using Local by Flywheel to install the test site, I’ll set up a subdomain and create the new site there. Afraid Local installation is not worth the potential issues it can cause on my computer.

Thank you all so much for your detailed, helpful responses. As always, I’ve learned new things about computing from Woody’s terrific loungers and have a solution for my issue (albeit, a different one from what I started with!).

Gratefully,

Linda

• #415503 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

After reading everyone’s input and discovering the level of technical knowledge required for this issue, I’m going to back away. Instead of using Local by Flywheel to install the test site, I’ll set up a subdomain and create the new site there. Afraid Local installation is not worth the potential issues it can cause on my computer.

Um, sure.

Though I’d expect either WAMP or XAMPP would run a typical local WordPress just fine, if not as, um, refined as Local by Flywheel.

Though, aside from the virtualization part (which is usually solved by running on different hardware, I’d think), those others would seem to be require more technical knowledge.

• #435189 Reply

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for your input, mn-.

I have no idea what WAMP or XAMPP are! You can tell my level of technical knowledge is slight!!

Linda

P.S. The subdomain set up went smoothly; I have the test content installed and am working on “theme-ifying” it.

• #459743 Reply

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

Here’s a link to the specs of your HP p6620f desktop PC, Linda:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02479654

It seems that model uses a N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix) motherboard.

On my HP Pavilion m8417c media center computer (a 2008 model), the AMD-v option is listed as “Virtualization Technology” in the Power menu in the BIOS setup. when the HP logo appeared when I power on my HP computer, I press the F10 key to enter the bios setup, go to the Power menu and I change the Virtualization option to Enabled then I save changes.

It looks like it’s the same thing with your HP P6620F computer – the Virtualization option is available in the Power menu in BIOS setup. see this document from the HP web site:
        https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02698971

• #451572 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

If you need a local test installation you can run The Uniform Server under Windows. It’s simple, portable and doesn’t require a virtual server. They have a WordPress mini machine ready to go, along with a bunch of other products.

cheers, Paul

• #456316 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

… as long as you aren’t relying on anything that changes between PHP 5.x and 7.x …

5.x is EOL and The Uniform Server doesn’t seem to have 7 yet. But as long as you’re only doing local testing and such yourself, the security thing is not an issue.

• #465860 Reply

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

Wow, as always I am blown away by all the information all of you have provided!

First, EP, thanks for the link to my PC info. I’ve saved it for future reference. Will also give your BIOS access instructions a try, just to learn – but not until this new site is closer to completion! 😉

Paul, that Uniform Server looks great. Will pass it along to the person who told me about Local, as another, maybe simpler, option.

Having a place to test sites on my computer will be a positive thing going forward.

Thanks so much for all your help and practical suggestions.

Linda

• #515210 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

Hi Irene,

It should be a piece of cake to change that one setting in BIOS to enable virtualization. If you think that you accidentally changed anything else, all you have to do is to choose to exit BIOS without saving any changes.

Don’t be afraid to at least look at the various settings which are available under the different menus in BIOS so that you become familiar with them. Most of the stuff is explained pretty well in the user manual.

Best regards,

–GTP

• #589776 Reply

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks so much for the reassurance, Gone to Plaid. You certainly reduced my anxiety over BIOS. I will go in and poke around a bit (gently). A user manual is always a great help!

Once I make some time to do this, I’ll post back with results.

Happy Easter!

Linda

• #616418 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

Hi Linda,

I dug around and finally found HP’s web page for your computer’s motherboard and its BIOS settings. Here is a link to verify that this is your computer model:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02479654

Your HP Pavilion p6620f Desktop PC uses a Foxconn N-ALVORIX-RS880-uATX (Alvorix) motherboard. Here is a link to the motherboard specifications:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02560084

The above link is important since it also shows you how to set the BIOS back to its defaults, or how to clear a BIOS password if you ever forget the password.

Here is a link for your computer motherboard’s BIOS settings:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02698971#AbT1

I initially couldn’t get the above web page to print properly in any web browser. Finally, I managed to turn the above web page about your BIOS settings into a PDF which you can download from my web site:

http://www.mem-tek.com/askwoody/HP_Pavilion_p6620f_Foxconn_N-ALVORIX-RS880-uATX_BIOS_Settings.pdf

The photos in the above PDF show the default value for each available setting. If ever you somehow choose a bad setting in BIOS such that Windows won’t start properly, all you have to do is to go back into BIOS and go to the Exit menu, and then choose Load Setup Defaults. Then choose to Exit Saving Changes and you are back in business.

See pages 7 and 8 in the above PDF. The setting to enable your CPU’s virtualization capabilities is under the Power menu in your BIOS. All you have to do is to change the Virtualization Technology setting from Disabled to Enabled, then go to the Exit menu and choose to Exit Saving Changes. Shazam! You are done!

On a final note and if the other experts here agree, I strongly recommend that you enable the NX (No Execute) feature. This feature also is under the Power menu in your computer’s BIOS. This feature requires Windows XP or higher. I recall that you can’t install or upgrade to Windows 8 or Windows 10 unless this NX feature is enabled.

What NX does is to tell your CPU to never allow executable code to run in any memory pages which are assigned to hold only data. When NX is enabled, it prevents simple buffer overflow attacks in with malware tries to inject executable code into memory pages which are assigned to only hold data. Here is a nice yet short online article which explains NX:

Execute Disable Bit – The BIOS Optimization Guide

So there you have it. This is pretty much everything which I was able to dig up about your computer’s motheboard and BIOS.

Best regards,

–GTP

• #628822 Reply

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

Wow and double wow, GTP. I honestly cannot believe your fantastically detailed and linked response. What a wealth of information.

Yes, that is my HP PC you found. That’s the only link I’ve had time to follow as yet, but I’ll get to all of them over the next few days. Whenever I need a break from trying to create our updated site, I’ll check your links. The only one I likely won’t need right now is the “enable NX”. This computer is 7 years old now and I’m pretty sure I’ll have to buy a new one before updating. Sure wish Microsoft were continuing Windows 7 support: I am NOT looking forward to learning a whole new OS. Heck, I’m already struggling with WordPress’ Gutenberg!!

Once I get through your links, I’ll post back to let you know what I’ve learned.

Again, my sincere appreciation for the time you have spent researching and helping me with my issue … as well as providing information beyond it!

Linda

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: AMD-v on older Windows 7 PC

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.