News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• an easy down-size clone that worked.

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 an easy down-size clone that worked.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Author
        krism
        AskWoody Plus

(21H1)
        I have a Lenovo T570 on the way so wanted the new Sammy 500GB SSD that is/was in my T530, for it. So wanted to clone this to my old 250GB SSD. Scared about whether it would find the boot and recovery stuffs on reboot (about 6 partitions on it, 3 big ones)!!! I have an old free EaseUs Partition Manager (ver 10.8), saw something on the web that said I could do it, so tried: tools/clone wizard.
        The old 250GB was pretty much empty but it asked if it could clear it and I said yes. It offered me a screen with everything scrunched on the 250 drive and above it was the word “edit”.

I found that it had done things like make the recovery partition 23GB big, and I found that I could click on each one – that would then allow me to move it(4 arrow symbol) or reduce its size(2 parallel lines on right side). The adjustments are very coarse so it took a bit to get it but was able to reduce and move the 3 little recovery and boot partitions and then move the big ones. I think there is 76GB unused.

At this point I realized that my C partition was maybe 59/67GB used because of the old windows left after my upgrade to 21H1, so I did the usual explorer/properties/clean/system and then OK to clean that off – no point in cloning an old windows! – I have Macrium backups.

Then I told Easeus PM to go ahead “next”, it asked if it should shut off after, I said YES – very important!! – don’t boot with your clone attached – and then said ok or whatever. it asked if ok to reboot and I said yes, so it did.

Because of a BIOS anomaly with this laptop it hung because a second drive was attached, so I just held the button to power of, and then powered on and it did its thing (maybe 15 min?) and then shut off, but seeming tried to reboot, but hung again, so don’t know why, but powered it off and unplugged the 250GB SSD (Sabrent adapter on USB3)

At this point I realized that I had not taken an image of the 500GB system so I re-plugged my 1TB SSD external and booted back to the 500GB and took an image.

Then power off and flip laptop and swapped 500GB for 250GB. As I am typing this I realize that while I unplugged the power I failed to remove the external battery – fortunately no damage was done. Plugged everything back in and booted.

Darned if it didn’t boot right back up to windows perfectly as if nothing had been done.

Surprised but considering myself very lucky! I offer this as a way for others to easily clone.

Group W (windows, current)
        - ThinkPad T570-20HA, i7-7600U, 2.8GHz, UEFI/GPT, Win10 21H1 Pro x64, 16GB, Sammy 256GB M.2 NVMe PM961. -

Viewing 0 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: an easy down-size clone that worked.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.