News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• …..annnnnd they are out – Patch Tuesday for May 2021

Home Forums AskWoody blog …..annnnnd they are out – Patch Tuesday for May 2021

• This topic has 63 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago.
    Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

As usual we will be watching for the issues. Businesses:  If you are a small to med business with Exchange – you have work again as there’s Exchange b
        [See the full post at: …..annnnnd they are out – Patch Tuesday for May 2021]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
        PKCano
        Manager

AKB 2000003 has been updated for Group B Win7 (ESU) and Win8.1 on May 11, 2021.

There is a Security-only Update for those with Win7 ESU subscriptions.
        There is a May IE11 CU KB5003165 for Win7. Download 32-bit or 64-bit.

May Rollup KB5003233 Download 32-bit or 64-bit for those with Win7 ESU subscriptions.

You must have at least the August 2020 Servicing Stack KB4570673 previously installed to receive these updates).

The latest is the December Servicing Stack KB4592510 – Download 32-bit or 64-bit for those with Win7 ESU subscriptions.

There is a revised Licensing Preparation Package KB4575903 dated 7/29/2020 for Win7 ESU subscriptions, if you need it.

There are .NET updates listed for Win7. See #2364213.

5 users thanked author for this post.
        WYT
        AskWoody Lounger

I am not seeing anything in WSUS yet.  I’ve been refreshing since 1:00 PM.  Anyone else not getting anything?

anonymous

They just appeared in my WSUS upstream server at 2:20 Eastern.  I had also been triggering a synch every 10-15 minutes or so, and as of 2:15 they hadn’t shown up but they’re here now.

WYT
            AskWoody Lounger

Still nothing for me at 2:25.  Maybe we’re syncing different products but I’m including Windows 10 and Server 2016.  I’ll try again in a bit.

anonymous

I spoke too soon.  I only received one Security Intelligence update.

WCHS
            AskWoody Plus

Mine came down the pike at 1:00 PM EST on Patch Tuesday-May 11.  I have GP=2 (notify download/install) so I hid them, of course — waiting to hear what the early installers report and for MS-DEFCON to be 3+

grant.gardner
          AskWoody Plus

Still nothing in my WSUS server either, its 3:24pm here.  Very odd.

WYT
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

I got the Malicious Software Removal Tool and

KB5003173 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems.

OS Build went from 19042-928 to 19042-985.

System nominal, no hiccups.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

4 users thanked author for this post.
          bbearren
          AskWoody MVP

My NAS got the push earlier this morning.  No hiccups.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
          "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
          "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

CAS
          AskWoody Plus

After I read the posts by bbearen and RetiredGeek,  I decided to install KB5003173.  No problems except for the install of Edge. I finally did a search and found this site that showed me how to modify my registry to prevent the installation every time I updated. First, I uninstalled Edge, again, hopefully for the last time.

I am now updated to Win 10 Pro, Version 2009 Build 19042.985. Everything checks out on Belarc Advisor. No issues with any of my applications or printer. So far so good. Incidentally, I do not use any MS applications (Office, Outlook, etc.) and I log in locally.

Peace, CAS

2 users thanked author for this post.
            Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

No problems except for the install of Edge. I finally did a search and found this site that showed me how to modify my registry to prevent the installation every time I updated. First, I uninstalled Edge, again, hopefully for the last time.

That GP setting seems redundant with 20H2, I believe it was intended for the initial release of ChrEdge for v2004. Considering that the 20H2 image has ChrEdge in it, that wouldn’t really make any sense offering a setting to decline installation when old Edge has been removed and IE is nigh on extinct.

| Quality over Quantity |
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Winver

all seems ok here also.

anonymous

…so are Office updates either, and we have small but significant surprise for Outlook aficionados:

Outlook no longer displays the body of e-mails. I only see the subject line and for a brief moment the first line of the e-mail before it disappears.

From here and below:

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/179130-new-microsoft-365-current-channel-v2104-build-13929-20372-may-11-a.html#post2219807

Confirmed on 2016 and 2019 releases.

(please move this post to appropriate section if needs be)

Susan Bradley
          Manager

I’m going to sound like a broken record, move to semiannual.  It’s a lot safer.

Confirmed with Microsoft:

We’re looking into a potential problem affecting email content within Outlook
          EX255650, Exchange Online, Last updated: May 11, 2021 3:55 PM
          Estimated start time: May 11, 2021 3:54 PM
          Issue type
          Incident
          Status
          Investigating

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

krzemien
            AskWoody Lounger

Ah, but I’m merely a humble and boring home user so really it’s not end of the world for me…

Still, I simply cannot comprehend how something such basic like core functionality – ability to read messages in e-mail client – can be made broken, and across multiple versions. And not to mention: released to the wide world and on a planned date either.

Mind truly boggles (and I thought I’ve seen it all…!)

Susan Bradley
            Manager

From another location:

“Have seen multiple posts and two clients so far, in the last hour.  Message display only displays part of a message, as in the first line or top half inch or so.  Reverting to the prior version fixes it:

cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.13901.20462”

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

mpw
            AskWoody Plus

I don’t think I have a choice.  I have the retail version of Microsoft Office 2019 C2R.  There is no channel listed on my Office 2019 product page. (see attachment)

I don’t know where the setting is to change channels.

Please stop yelling at me and tell me how I am supposed to do what you recommend.

HP Pavilion Desktop TP01-0050 – 64 bit
            Windows 10 Home Version 20H2
            OS build 19042.928
            Windows Defender and Windows Firewall
            Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019
            -Version 2104(Build 13929.20372 C2R)

joep517
          AskWoody MVP

I just updated to that build but the issue was happening before the update. That leads me to think it is not that build. Could be a server issue. Could be caused by the Windows May CU which was installed earlier today.

--Joe

Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

Imacri posted that this was happening yesterday yesterday previous to May’s CU.

joep517
              AskWoody MVP

Guess the Exchange incident that Susan referenced is the culprit.

--Joe

b
              AskWoody MVP

Imacri posted that this was happening yesterday yesterday previous to May’s CU.

Today.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.1052 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

lmacri
              AskWoody Plus

Hi Microfix:

Yes, I can confirm I saw the same issue with my MS Outlook 2019 C2R Version 2104 Build 13929.20296 (rel. 29-Apr-2021 per the release notes <here>) .

Microsoft has apparently pushed out a fix that is being rolled out over the next few hours. Rather than wait for the fix to come through automatic update channels I ran a manual update (File | Office Account | Office Updates | Update Options | Update Now) and was updated from Version 2104 Build 13929.20296 (rel. 29-Apr-2021) to Version 2104 Build 13929.20372 (rel. 11-May-2021), and I can read the text in my emails again.

MS-Outlook-2019-C2R-Version-2104-Build-13929.20372-11-May-2021

EDIT:

Just to clarify, I should add that my May 2021 Patch Tuesday updates haven’t been installed yet (I’ve deferred them to a later date) so I suspect this was yet another widespread problem with the backend Outlook servers and not specific to any one version/build of MS Office.
              ————-
              Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v20H2 build 19042.928 * Firefox 88.0.1 * MS Office Home and Business 2019 C2R v2104 Build 13929.20372

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by lmacri.
              • This reply was modified 1 month ago by lmacri. Reason: Added comment RE: May 2021 Patch Tuesday
        sheldon
        AskWoody Plus

Looks like no updates office 2010, correct?

7ProSP1
        AskWoody Lounger

Remember 1909 has reached it’s end of life, when we flip back to Defcon 4, you need to take action to be on 20H2 as soon as the all clear is given.

It’s also EOL day for v1803 and v1809 too and for those you still on v1809 (and would prefer to stay on it instead of being pushed to a higher version because Microsoft thinks you should be on one), some interesting news was announced by 0patch today:

0patch Security Adopts Windows 10 v1809 to Keep it Running Securely

Interestingly, they also state in the article if you happen to be using a large number of v1803 or v1909 versions in your environment, to let let them know as given sufficient demand they will security-adopt those too.

EP
          AskWoody_MVP

only EOL for enterprise & education editions of 1803 & 1809.
          LTSC 2019 (which is another 1809 variant) continue to get updates until Jan. 2029 🙂

RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

Updated my test machine and also updated the data files for my Get-WinVer.ps1 program for those of you who may be using it.

WinVer
        HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

WYT
        AskWoody Lounger

WSUS updates are finally working!

NaNoNyMouse
        AskWoody Lounger

Updated sacrificial laptop with KB5003173 plus Malicious Software Removal Tool. OS Build went to 19042.985 (20H2)

A couple of OMFG “everything’s gone black” moments during the install (as often happens) (the laptop’s old and underpowered, like its owner), but after completion no obvious problems

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

no Win8.1 x64 issues with kb5003209, local printer working fine, nothing in event viewer.
        The CU did take slightly longer than usual. There are quite a few patches within the CU this month.
        MSFT documentation:
        kb5003209-monthly-rollup

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
        AskWoody Plus

As usual I ignored the DefCon status and pulled in the May 2021 Update.

It all worked fine, no issues detected.

So here I am:

i7-4810MQ CPU, 32 GB RAM
        Windows 10 Home 64 bit 20H2
        OS build 19042.985
        WEI 8.2

(NO Outlook, Thunderbird instead)
        (Edge ignored, Firefox and Chrome instead)
        (Internet Explorer … well, ostracised is the fitting term)
        (NO M$ Office, LibreOffice instead)
        (NO Cloud, 29 TB worth of external HDD’s instead)
        But + Windows Security (Defender), Avast Free, Malwarebytes

CraigS26
        AskWoody Plus

I got the Malicious Software Removal Tool and

KB5003173 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems.

OS Build went from 19042-928 to 19042-985.

System nominal, no hiccups.

+1 

Did manual Update for 2016 Hm-Stdnt Office C2R [Version 2104 (Build 13929.20372)] although it should have auto-updated asap….

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-2019

W10 Pro 21H1 / Hm-Stdnt Ofce '16 C2R / HP Envy Desktop-Ethernet/ 12 GB / 256G SSD + 1 TB HDD / i5-8400 CoffeeLake-S / GP=2 + FtrU=Semi-Annual + Feature Defer = 1 + QU=0

JCpharm
        AskWoody Plus

KB890830 and KB5003173 here. Going to hide for now.

Win10 Pro version 20H2

kelpies07
        AskWoody Plus

scary, all updates turned off, and ms can still stuff up outlook and then fix it in the background – what else do they do?

schwabel_ronald
        AskWoody Lounger

I was surprised when my Win 10 Pro 20H2 system told me that I needed to install updates this morning.  I have set the GPEdit Windows Update for Business,  Quality Updates to 30 days so I thought that I wouldn’t have to worry about anything for a while.  It has always delayed the quality updates previously.  I did get a little nervous and hit the pause updates for 7 days button a couple of times. I guess I should have looked more closely to see exactly what it wanted to install, but there was one Cumulative update and several other things.

Do the changes to the Group Policy take effect immediately, or do you have to reboot for them to take effect?  I’m not sure I have rebooted since I disabled the quality delay and allowed last month’s patches to be installed.  I probably didn’t reset the quality delay to 30 until after the installation of last months patches finished rebooting.

schwabel_ronald
          AskWoody Lounger

A couple of updates.

I did go back and try resuming updates and it tried to  install the full list of updates I had seen before.

There were some .Net updates , KB890830 and KB5003173.  I quickly paused updates again and then rebooted my system.

After the reboot, I resumed Updates again,  This time I was only offered one .Net update.

I guess the Group Policy updates don’t really take effect until you reboot.+

RangerVic
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi All,

Anyone else seeing this issue?

I had 4 users who had Outlook disconnected from M365 Exchange. It was trying to reconnect and could not. Did normal reboot and issue persisted.

Removed update KB5003169 which was installed last night and this solved the problem.

Thanks in advance,

EP
          AskWoody_MVP

KB5003169 is for 1909 only, btw

RangerVic
            AskWoody Lounger

Hi EP,

Thanks for the info. I do see that 1909 was to expire on the 11th.

Problem is these machines are not being offered any feature updates, and are currently on 1909. They are not restricted from receiving these updates.

This gives me something to look into.

Thanks !!!

anonymous

On a laptop, I installed the patches, hoping they would repair the Microsoft Store which had failed to launch for me recently.  I had tried several methods to fix Microsoft Store but none had worked, such as wsreset .  IMO I had tried everything except in place reinstall of Windows.  After the patches, today, the Store still did not launch.  I did the “app” reset feature under settings, apps, and after that Store ran fine.  The app reset function had failed last month and the month before.

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

thanks – maybe their finally done updating office 2010.

we’ll see if that holds true next month (June 2021)

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Hi All,

Anyone else seeing this issue?

I had 4 users who had Outlook disconnected from M365 Exchange. It was trying to reconnect and could not. Did normal reboot and issue persisted.

Removed update KB5003169 which was installed last night and this solved the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Microsoft has found and fixed the outlook bug.

Outlook Content Suddenly Missing

RangerVic
          AskWoody Lounger

Hi Alex,

Just to clarify, the users could not connect to the M365 Exchange server.

I had a few users the day before, with content missing problem. They were connected to the M365 Exchange server but content was not showing up. I was aware of this issue.

EP pointed out that the patch I removed was for version 1909. This was set to expire on May 11, 2021. I did not notice that the computers in question never received option to update. I did a manual update to 20H2 and this fixed the issue with Outlook connecting.

Just posting in case someone else has the same problem.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Try this if you are getting error code 0x800f0922 on Windows 10

If you are getting the error code 0x800f0922 when you are installing the latest cumulative update KB5003173 for Windows 10 versions 2004 and 20H2, then you may have asked yourself about the cause of the error and how to resolve it..

Our colleagues over at the German Deskmodder site did some digging and found out that the error is thrown frequently on systems on which Microsoft Edge has been uninstalled to bring back legacy Microsoft Edge.

The cumulative update attempts to install Microsoft Edge on the device, but fails when it recognizes the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\, even if that folder is empty. The folder remains on the system if the path is listed without “” in the uninstallation command.

The following command is correct:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\90.0.818.56\Installer\setup.exe” –uninstall –system-level –verbose-logging –force-uninstall

This command on the other hand leaves the empty folder behind:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\90.0.818.56\Installer\setup.exe –uninstall –system-level –verbose-logging –force-uninstall….

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I have GP=2 (notify download/install) so I hid them, of course

No need to hide. Updates won’t install until you select to download and install.

anonymous

Win 10 1909 64 bit.   Downloaded May SSU KB5003244  and CU KB5003169 from the Update Catalog, standalone installed OK, test machine stable for 2 days.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

A high-pitched noise might be heard when using 5.1 audio with certain settings

“After installing KB5000842 or later updates, 5.1 Dolby Digital audio may play containing a high-pitched noise or squeak in certain apps when using certain audio devices and Windows settings. Note This issue does not occur when stereo is used.

Workaround: To mitigate this issue, you can try one or more of the following:
        Streaming the video or audio in a web browser or different app, instead of the app affected by this issue.
        Enable Spatial sound settings by right clicking or long pressing on the volume icon in the notification area, selecting Spatial sound (Off) and selecting any of the available options.
        Affected platforms:
        Client: Windows 10, version 20H2; Windows 10, version 2004
        Next steps: We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.”

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Installed May 2021 updates for 20H2

KB5003173
        Servicing Stack 10.0.19041.985
        KB890830.

winver 19042.985

All well.

MrToad28
        AskWoody Lounger

On 5/17 one of my WIN-10 PRO  64 PC’s updated V2004 KB5003173 ..I was distracted and missed a pause..no problems seen..but I don’t use outlook, edge or print so YMMV.

jayinalaska
        AskWoody Plus

I installed the May CU on my 20H2 Pro system yesterday. I use a PowerShell module to do all of this. For some reason, this month, the install update cmdlet hung on the installing step. There’s a separate cmdlet to check the reboot status and when I ran that, it said the reboot was pending. I did that and the updating process proceeded normally and finished. When I logged back in, the CU was listed as installed and winver shows 19042.985.

No other issues noted, so far.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Bleepingcomputer

A recent Windows 10 1909 cumulative update prevents Microsoft 365 desktop users from logging into Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Outlook, and Microsoft OneDrive for Business.

When attempting to login, users are shown a message stating, “We ran into a problem. Reconnecting…” and asking the user to restart the program.

This same screen will also display an error code 80080300 at the bottom left of the screen, as shown below…

To fix this issue, Microsoft states that you need to restart Windows 10 again after the update finishes installing.

“We’ve received reports that some users on Windows Update KB 5003169 are unable to connect to various Microsoft 365 desktop clients including Microsoft Teams, Outlook, and OneDrive for Business,” Microsoft explains in a recent Microsoft 365 advisory.

“Our investigation has determined that a code issue exposed by a recently deployed Windows update, detailed in KB 5003169, is causing the problem.”..

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

aaaaaaannnnnnddddd they’re new “preview” cumulative updates that have just came out this Thursday afternoon May 20, 2021-

KB5003212 for v1909 (build 18363.1593)
        https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=5003212

KB5003217 for v1809 enterprise, education & LTSC (build 17763.1971)
        https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=5003217

rebop2020
        AskWoody Plus

How are we doing on 5003173 for 20H2? Getting near the end of the month and no all clear though I read of little issues with this online. Thoughts?

anonymous

It’s two (2) weeks till Patch Tuesday.
          What’s the rush?

Susan Bradley
          Manager

Later on this week I’m sending out the Defcon 4.  Stay tuned.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

aaaaaaannnnnnddddd a NEW preview cumulative update for Win10 v2004/20H2/21H1 this Tuesday afternoon May 25th

KB5003214 – build 1904x.1023
        https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=5003214

I’m skipping KB5003173 and going with KB5003214 instead

rebop2020
        AskWoody Plus

Did KB5003173  and here are my results:

1. My Internet was disconnected as well as a network drive after update. Easy to restore.
        2. Speaking of, seems like restore points are working again
        3. Checked my list of possible breaking items and found none reset
        4. Notifications icons are now correct
        5. I do not see ANYTHING on News and Interests anywhere??? I am now on 19042.985
        rebop2020
        AskWoody Plus

There is a GPedit for enable News and Interests that was “not configured” Enabling it makes no change.

Viewing 32 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: …..annnnnd they are out – Patch Tuesday for May 2021

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.