News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Announcing the arrival of the Win7 Pro upgrade-to-Win10 nag, KB 4493132

Home Forums AskWoody blog Announcing the arrival of the Win7 Pro upgrade-to-Win10 nag, KB 4493132

Tagged: 

This topic contains 31 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  woody 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

It’s official — and I can confirm. If you install the Win7 patch  KB 4524752 on a Win7 Pro machine and reboot a couple of times, you’ll see the new n
      [See the full post at: Announcing the arrival of the Win7 Pro upgrade-to-Win10 nag, KB 4493132]

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1984040 Reply

Zathras
      AskWoody Plus

It’s only showing up for me as a recommended update not important.  Windows Update is set to Important Only so (for now) it won’t even try to install.

Also according to the KB article, the same registry tweaks to block the GWX nonsense from a few years ago are used for this as well.

• #1984045 Reply

TweakHound
      AskWoody Lounger

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4524752/windows-7-sp1-support-notification-for-windows-7-professional
      This update is available through Windows Update. If automatic updates are enabled, this update will be downloaded and installed automatically on devices running Windows 7 Professional…We do not recommend uninstalling update KB 4524752 as it will be downloaded again the next time the device scans for updates.
      Resistance is futile.
      😉

• #1984047 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Just HIDE it each time it shows up!

• #1984049 Reply

TweakHound
          AskWoody Lounger

Yeah, I’m sure we are gonna have to play whack-a-mole with this like we did with the other GWX updates.
          (Please remove the anon comment above. That was me. I didn’t realize I wasn’t signed in.)

• #1984187 Reply

anonymous

OY! With all that Nagging! And maybe it’s time on all of my laptops to call my Windows 7 OS installs as unofficially EOL! And That’s All Folks with a So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish!

• #1984065 Reply

TweakHound
      AskWoody Lounger

So I dug out my old block GWX batch file and updated it. Anyone wanna help me out and check it over?
      https://www.tweakhound.com/downloads/block_GWX_V7.zip

• #1984080 Reply

NoLoki
      AskWoody Lounger

It is going to be a zombie patch for the next 3 months. Hiding it keeps it temporarily at bay and a registry change is the only way to obliterate the zombie and prevent it from returning. The warning to not uninstall it is interesting. It gives the impression that there will be version updates that have more in store than the first one. Checking the ‘do not nag again’ may only apply to the EOS statement ‘reminder’. They could get overly cute and replace the ‘reminder’ with an ad for W10.

• #1984156 Reply

MrChaz
      AskWoody Lounger

Looks like my Windows 7 x86 hidden files are back in use, it’s been a while.

hidden7

illegitimi Non Carborundum
      Attachments:
    • #1984353 Reply

LH
      AskWoody Plus

Win 7 Pro SP1.  KB4524752 has arrived as Optional/Recommended (italicized) and unticked.  Will hide.

• #1984359 Reply

RM
      AskWoody Plus

Just checked Windows Update on my win 7 pro SP1 machine.  KB4524752 showed as an Important update and checked.  I hid the KB.  I wonder if GWX Control Panel would work on this one like it did the last time?

• #1984366 Reply

anonymous

my question stems from the ‘give me recommended updates the same as important’ or words to that effect. So I ask, before you hid the update, when it was listed on the Important Updates tab, was it written in the upright font marked important or in italics marked recommended?

• #1984750 Reply

RM
          AskWoody Plus

The KB4524752 was written in Upright font (No Italics) on the Important updates tab and checked. I hid it and summarize it is going to return in the future.

• #1984772 Reply

anonymous

See BobbyB’s screenshot below and also compare to MrChaz’s screenshot above. Now to attempt to ask for the fourth piece of information.

When you view your hidden list, by clicking on Restore hidden updates, does this line identify as Recommended or Important?

I hope it says Important. This would give a positive indication. If it says Recommended, we have been talking in circles.

• #1984371 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

gggrrrrrrrr 🙁

the KB4524752 update has shown up on WU on my aunt’s Win7 SP1 Pro computer today 10/18, woody.
      (in the Important Updates section “upright font” [not italicized] used and “checked” to answer anonymous question)

gonna hide that one ASAP

note that KB4524752 is for Win7 PRO only – it does not show up on other Win7 editions like Home Premium and Ultimate as those users will see KB4493132 instead of KB4524752

that leaves only Win7 enterprise edition w/out the eol nags (unless MS of course tries to issue a different eol notificatation update for that edition in the future)

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  EP.
    • #1984508 Reply

abbodi86
      AskWoody_MVP

Any of these registry keys will suppress the notification

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SipNotify /f /v DontRemindMe /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx/f /v DisableGwx /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate/f /v DisableOSUpgrade /t REG_DWORD /d 1

all are already covered in Neutralize Telemetry script
      https://pastebin.com/zeJFe08G

• #1984827 Reply

Carl D
        AskWoody Lounger

@abbodi86,

that link for your Neutralize Telemetry script is for the Windows 10 script, does it now also work for Windows 7 as well?

I do still have your separate script for Windows 7 that I downloaded a couple of months back. Have you combined the 2 scripts into 1 now?

• #1984861 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

The script is for Win7.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          • #1984897 Reply

Carl D
            AskWoody Lounger

Thanks, PKCano.

Must have been (another) ‘senior moment’ for me (but, I’m only 62).

The script is labeled “w10tel.cmd” but I was sure abbodi86 had an earlier version of the script labeled “w7tel.cmd”. That’s why I was wondering if there were 2 versions (one for W7 and another for W10) and they’ve now been combined. I must have been mistaken. My apologies.

The script does actually run in Windows 10 but all I get are notifications that the scheduled tasks don’t exist or it cannot find the files specified. Not sure if that’s because I’ve already run O&O’s ShutUp10 beforehand – it probably is.

• #1984938 Reply

abbodi86
              AskWoody_MVP

I never named it w7tel.cmd 🙂
              the script is for Windows 7 and 8.1 only

neutralizing Windows 10 telemetry require a lot more than that

• #1984939 Reply

Carl D
              AskWoody Lounger

Yep, just checked with my “archived” earlier version of the script. It is w10tel.cmd.

Not sure why I thought it was originally named w7tel.cmd – but, I have a file full of W7 and W10 tweaks and utilities, registry hacks, etc. and it is easy (especially for me lately) to get confused with them all.

My apologies once again.

• #1984513 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for the heads up @woody and all, this duly arrived today :
      kb4524752-Win7Prox86
      Now do I install or….?

Attachments:
      • #1984754 Reply

anonymous

Interesting to see that this item, screenshot by BobbyB, is

• on the important tab
          • presented in upright test
          • ticked, checked

and still labeled as Recommended

• #1984825 Reply

anonymous

Apologies BobbyB, I may have interrupted anyone else from responding to your direct question.

Now do I install or….?

In my opinion, respect the Big Red One at the top of these pages. Better directions will come in a future Computerworld feature article, after MSDEFCON rises. Thanks for showing what you see.

• #1984826 Reply

Carl D
      AskWoody Lounger

I’m surprised no-one has said it yet but what’s the bet that this nag will be included in a ‘security only’ update before next January?

Just like MS did recently with their telemetry.

• #1984922 Reply

rowrbazzle
      AskWoody Plus

Already have the two HKLM registry keys.

KB 4524752: optional/unchecked/recommended.

Size: 223KB vs. BobbyB’s 210KB above.

• #1992122 Reply

Jim C
      AskWoody Lounger

Woody if you recall, I started getting nagged back in July with a email. I posted the screen shot of it the other forum Win7 beyond End-of-life/Introduction. Never did figure out how they knew, I was using Win 7. Thankfully that was the one and only I got.

• #1992146 Reply

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

though did you mention which edition of Windows 7 you are using, Jim C?

• #2002549 Reply

anonymous

Win 7 update check (Nov 10th.) KB4524752 listed as “important”.

What was more concerning – and I haven’t had a chance to troubleshoot – was the popup that greeted me: “Windows 10 upgrade couldn’t be installed.”
      Huh?

• #2002559 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Now that’s troubling.

Any idea what caused the popup?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Announcing the arrival of the Win7 Pro upgrade-to-Win10 nag, KB 4493132

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.