News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Another Intel Chip Flaw, But Most Recent Macs Safe

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Another Intel Chip Flaw, But Most Recent Macs Safe

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

There’s another Intel chip flaw:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/03/06/new-intel-chip-flaw-threatens-encryption-but-macs-are-safe

However, most modern Macs with a T1 or T2 chip are safe from the threat. Even older Macs without T1 or T2 chips would be difficult to implement the attack.

Yet another reason though while Apple is likely wishing to pivot away from third-party chips to designing its own CPUs in a Mac.

Nathan Parker

• #2177966 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Nathan: This paragraph in the article you have pasted the link to worries me a little:

Of course, older Macs without a T-series chipor the present iMac lineup minus the iMac Pro —may be vulnerable to the exploit, which could affect FileVault encryption.” (Emphasis mine.)

This seems to be saying that old Macs and also iPhones, iWatches (?), etc. except the iMac Pro (a from regular to top-of-the-line desktop computer that all it has in common with the other “i” is the ‘i’) are at risk of having the contents of their HD or SSD, or whatever those “i” things have for mass storage devices) taken over by evil hands with all manner of bad things ensuing.

And those “old Macs” how old are they? I have a mid-2015 laptop MacBook Pro, and I am not sure whether it is above or below the line separating old Macs from the rest.

Edited after looking around and finding out: No, I am out of luck. The T1 chip was included in the Mac hardware starting in 2016 and the T2 in 2018:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/08/08/everything-you-need-to-know-about-apples-t2-chip-in-the-2018-macbook-pro

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2177970 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

This would only affect Macs. iPhones, Apple Watches, iPads, Apple TVs, etc., all use Apple’s own CPU’s. This is an Intel-only vulnerability.

This could affect Macs without a T1 and T2 chip, but even then, it would be difficult to implement it.

Nathan Parker

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Another Intel Chip Flaw, But Most Recent Macs Safe

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.