News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Another January casualty: Windows Media Center

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Another January casualty: Windows Media Center

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  rc primak 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

Tracey Capen
      AskWoody MVP

LANGALIST By Fred Langa Support for Windows Media Center on Win8.1 and Win7 ended this year — and it’s never been available on Win10. But a free upgra
      [See the full post at: Another January casualty: Windows Media Center]

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2110567 Reply

anonymous

With the Jan. update is Media Center completely removed or just not supported anymore?

• #2110639 Reply

Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

What’s happened is that Windows Media Center will no longer receive TV programming guide data. WMC itself still works fine and you can even set it to record TV shows, it’s just that you will either have to enter the show info yourself or subscribe to an alternative program guide provider such as Schedules Direct by using guide-data retrieval software such as EPG123.

• #2110569 Reply

anonymous

Could I please ask how the withdrawal of support for the Windows 7 version of Windows Media Player would manifest itself?

I ask because I have just ripped a CD on my Windows 7 installation using WMP v12 and, whilst the CD was ripped to the hard disk, it didn’t acquire any media information from the web, and filed it under “Unknown Album + date stamp”.

Is it a matter of doing-it-yourself now?

Thanks.

• #2110599 Reply

access-mdb
        AskWoody MVP

Do you mean Windows Media Player (which hasn’t been withdrawn) or Windows Media Centre (a completely different app, which has)? As  far as getting media info, that depends on the info being online – not all CDs do.

• #2110603 Reply

anonymous

I am guilty of not reading the article…

I must have another problem!

Thanks.

• #2110573 Reply

agoldhammer
      AskWoody Plus

Those of us who run Windows Media Center as a substitute for a cable TV box have precious few alternatives if one wants to record and play back DRM protected content.  Yes, there are solutions for unprotected content but none of them will run a cable card TV tuner.  I have VLC loaded on my TV PC for playing back DVDs and my general needs are modest as I have a Sony 32″ TV which is pretty much as big as I need.  I don’t archive much at all other than a handful of classic movies.

Even though MSFT has dropped TV guide support for WMC, EPG123 is an excellent replacement for only $25/a year and in fact was far better than the MSFT Rovi alternative.  It’s a shame that WMC was not updated as it was and remains a nice application for those of us who don’t want to pay the exorbitant price for a cable box.   As long as my hardware holds out, I’m running WMC under Win7

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2110576 Reply

agoldhammer
      AskWoody Plus

With the Jan. update is Media Center completely removed or just not supported anymore?

It’s not supported in any way.  One will have to find a new television guide replacement as MSFT will not be providing data any longer.  Soft ware replacement for the guide information is HERE.  It’s easy to set up and cost is low.

• #2110602 Reply

access-mdb
      AskWoody MVP

I have Media Portal on my PC, which I think I installed when WMC wasn’t loaded on W10. However, I never used WMC in the ways that have been described, so I don’t know if this a suitable replacement – I don’t actually use it. I only saw it when I was searching for my WMPlayer app (see post above).

• #2110623 Reply

anonymous

??? My Lenovo was preinstalled with v1809 and Windows Media Center ???

• #2110747 Reply

Mick Mickle
      AskWoody Plus

The .WTV format that Windows Media Center records in is playable in Windows Media Player, which is really the engine that WMC uses to playback, as far as I know.  (And free Shark007 Codecs will allow Windows Media Player to play just about any video format, by the way.)  In addition, your entire video collection, including .WTV files can be cataloged by the Binnerup application My Movies (not free if you want all the features) and fed to WMC — I’ve been doing that for years.  My Movies can also be the backend server for JRiver Media Center, Chameleon MediaCenter, and other players.  And have you checked out the (unauthorized) hobby versions of  Windows Media Center for Windows 10  which has been very actively maintained in the My Digital Life Forums?

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2111234 Reply

rc primak
        AskWoody_MVP

And have you checked out the (unauthorized) hobby versions of  Windows Media Center for Windows 10  which has been very actively maintained in the My Digital Life Forums?

There is indeed a growing market in unauthorized forks of Windows Media Center. Some of the solutions are of questionable quality, but others seem to work quite well. Not sure if there are any EULA issues with Microsoft, but Windows 10 does not prevent the use of these forks.

-- rc primak

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Another January casualty: Windows Media Center

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.