News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Another Pushy MS Screen

Posted on Cybertooth Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    • This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

My wife rebooted her Windows 10 (v1909) PC today and was alarmed to see the following screen pop up before going back into Windows 10:

Set-up-Device-Screen-10-24-2020

Never having seen this screen before, and there being no evident way to cancel the process, I told her to take a screenshot with PrintScreen (not that I expected this to work) and then to click on the tiny print of “Remind me later” in the bottom left so that I could research the issue with less urgency. Surprisingly, PrintScreen did work and the result is shown above.

Subsequent research indicated that clicking on “Continue” will finally yield an option to cancel the process, although it remains to be seen whether and how soon the thing will rear its ugly head again.

My wife’s PC is already set up the way she wants it, thank you very much. There is no setup that needs “finishing” for her “device.” And this interruption during a reboot, when all she wants is to get back into the computer, is not only unwelcome but downright obnoxious.

Looks like another attempt to herd the unwary Windows user into signing up for (and into) a Microsoft account.

Attachments:
      • #2306694 Reply
        Zig
        AskWoody Plus

Cybertooth,

?Sure she didn’t inadvertently update to v.2004? Check Winver.

Zig

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2306714 Reply
          Cybertooth
          AskWoody Plus

Great question. I’m positive that she didn’t update to 2004. After she got into the desktop, I had her run winver and it was shown as 1909.

• #2306747 Reply
            EP
            AskWoody_MVP

@Cybertooth

my brother sometimes get THAT screen on his new HP spectre x360 15 laptop – and it’s actually running Win10 v1903 (that was the pre-installed W10 version when I ran winver.exe).

all because of an unknown or mysterious Win10 update being downloaded & installed w/out any intervention – that’s what happens when leaving an open internet connection

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by EP.
      • #2306818 Reply
        anonymous

I run v1909 on both an Acer laptop from 2016 and a virtual machine in Parallels on a Mac, and from time to time both machines do get this annoying screen at startup. The virtual machine is using a local account while the Acer laptop is signed into a Microsoft account. Annoying and irritating, but at least I’m not being forced to set up Windows Hello before I can use the rest of my computer (and funny that Microsoft should ask, given that Windows Hello doesn’t work on virtual machines and is unsupported on my laptop—you’d think that, with all the telemetry they collected, they’d know that!). “Remind me later” makes the screen go away without further question, though it may appear later on down the line again with no noticeable consistent pattern. I never click “Continue” because I have no interest in even trying to get these things set up.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Another Pushy MS Screen

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.