News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Another Win 7 > Win 8\8.1 (instead of > Win10)

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Another Win 7 > Win 8\8.1 (instead of > Win10)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  opti1 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

opti1
      AskWoody Plus

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad X230 laptop from 2012 that is running Win7 Home Premium SP1. My plan was to upgrade it to Windows 10 but after reviewing the Lenovo support forums and after researching other sources I discovered that this particular model of this laptop does not like Windows 10. Or vice versa.

While pondering other alternatives I remembered that I bought this laptop right before Win 8 came out and Lenovo had offered a deal to buy the upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8 at a big discount. So I bought the upgrade, but I never installed it because, well, Win 8. And I was quite happy with Win 7 anyway.

So, I have ISOs for both Win 8 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro and I have a valid product key for Win 8 Pro which I assume would also be valid for 8.1.

Now I am thinking of using this product key to upgrade the laptop to Win 8.1 Pro, which also will get me another three years of extended Windows support, instead of just staying rogue on Win 7.

I’ve read through some threads here on what is involved with upgrading to Win 8\8.1, and I understand that it’s not a pretty process, but at least it ‘should’ work where the upgrade to Win 10 apparently does not, at least not without a lot of difficulties and some things that won’t function properly afterwards.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks!

• #2085516 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

I am using Win8.1. I hate the default GUI, but I am using Open Shell (formerly Classic Shell) and it gives me a GUI that is like Win7. With control over updates, I’m good till 2023.

There is a thread here about updating Win8.1. It will give you an idea about the process.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2085528 Reply

opti1
        AskWoody Plus

Wow, PKCano, that was a quick response.

Yes, I saw that thread. I’ve read through it a number of times and it’s somewhat intimidating. Winter is not over yet. Maybe I’ll save it for when we get snowed in for a couple of days.

Thanks!

• #2085674 Reply

Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

Don’t forget to create a full image copy of your Windows 7 PC before upgrading to 8.1.

• #2085684 Reply

steeviebops
      AskWoody Lounger

You can go directly to Windows 8.1 with an 8.0 product key, but the installer won’t accept it. You can use a generic or KMS product key as a stepping stone – it won’t activate but will be enough to pass the install check. Once installed, you can then activate with you 8.0 key and it will work fine. Saves you a lot of hassle compared with getting 8.0 installed and updated, then running an 8.1 upgrade.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2085821 Reply

opti1
        AskWoody Plus

@steviebops – Thanks for that tip about the stepping stone product key. But what do you mean by “a generic or KMS product key”? How do I get one of those?

• #2085838 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

I’ve read through some threads here on what is involved with upgrading to Win 8\8.1, and I understand that it’s not a pretty process, but at least it ‘should’ work where the upgrade to Win 10 apparently does not, at least not without a lot of difficulties and some things that won’t function properly afterwards.

Why do you think upgrading to Windows 10 would be troublesome on a Lenovo X230?

X230 windows 10 upgrade – Solved!

Lenovo ThinkPad X230 NoteBook PC – Intel Core i5 2.6GHz 4GB 128GB SSD Windows 10 Professional (Renewed) – Customer reviews

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

• #2085864 Reply

opti1
      AskWoody Plus

Why do you think upgrading to Windows 10 would be troublesome on a Lenovo X230?

X230 windows 10 upgrade – Solved!

Lenovo ThinkPad X230 NoteBook PC – Intel Core i5 2.6GHz 4GB 128GB SSD Windows 10 Professional (Renewed) – Customer reviews

Because after many hours of searching as many combinations of X230\Windows 10\upgrade as I could think of I found very few posts about successful upgrades to Windows 10 and many more posts about unable to upgrade the X230. In fact, the X230 was singled out in some posts as being unable to upgrade or gave up trying to upgrade by folks who had successfully upgraded X220s and X240 and higher models.

I had seen the thread in the first link you posted. That gave me hope but it was posted in 2016. I found more recent threads that said later Windows 10 upDATES would not install on the X230.

That link to refurbished X230s on Amazon is interesting.

I haven’t decided yet to give up on Windows 10. I may yet try it first on a new SSD and if I can’t get it to work go with Win 8.1.

Thanks for your input.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  opti1.
      b
    • #2085917 Reply

opti1
      AskWoody Plus

Windows 10 on ThinkPad X230 is not supported :

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht507291#thinkpad

Thanks for your response.

Yes, that’s the first place I went to find out if the X230 was on Lenovo’s supported system list for upgrade to Windows 10.

If you go backwards through the lists of Windows 10 releases you will find that 1507 is the last (only?) release of Windows 10 for which the X230 is on a supported system list.

I didn’t bother to mention that because I figured I would get responses like “just because it isn’t supported doesn’t mean it won’t work”. 🙂

• #2125233 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

Yes, that’s the first place I went to find out if the X230 was on Lenovo’s supported system list for upgrade to Windows 10.

If you go backwards through the lists of Windows 10 releases you will find that 1507 is the last (only?) release of Windows 10 for which the X230 is on a supported system list.

I didn’t bother to mention that because I figured I would get responses like “just because it isn’t supported doesn’t mean it won’t work”. 🙂

was it this win10 support page from Lenovo where you got the info about your X230 laptop, opti1?

• #2136396 Reply

opti1
      AskWoody Plus

was it this win10 support page from Lenovo where you got the info about your X230 laptop, opti1?

Yes, that’s the page where I found that Windows 10 1507 was officially supported on the X230. But no pages for subsequent releases of Win10 list the X230.

Later I found this link:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/co/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x230

If you go there, select Drivers & Software on the left sidebar, then select Manual Update from the middle section, then select the ‘Select additional OS’ dropdown, then select the checkbox for Windows 10 64-bit (or Windows 10 32-bit!), you will get a list of about 40 drivers broken down by category.

If you are doing this while on an X230 it will pull what identifying information it can from your laptop to give you a bunch of other information.

I don’t know why this page lists all these Windows 10 drivers for the X230 when Lenovo doesn’t officially support Windows 10 beyond release 1507, but there it is. I guess proceed at your own risk.

I haven’t yet updated my X230 to Windows 10 so I don’t know how well all these Windows 10 drivers work.

Good luck!

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Another Win 7 > Win 8\8.1 (instead of > Win10)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.