News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Antimalware on Fire TV and Android TV?

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems Android Antimalware on Fire TV and Android TV?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Is there any reason to attempt to install any kind of antimalware app on a Fire TV or an Android TV if I’m only using apps I know and trust from their respected app stores?

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

• #2279483 Reply
        Kirsty
        Da Boss

Do you have your TV connected to the internet on a wifi SSID that contains other devices, or is it isolated?

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2279707 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

They’re (I have three of them) all on the main SSID where most of my devices (all the ones that work in the 5GHZ band) are.

Nathan Parker

• #2279723 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I would move them to another SSID if I could, but I have to share content from my computers to the devices, and that unfortunately requires both the computers and streaming devices being on the same SSID.

Nathan Parker

• #2280201 Reply
        Michael432
        AskWoody_MVP

What does anti-malware software do? Prevent the destroying of data? Not a big problem on Android. Prevent your being spied on? Impossible on Android. Prevent your installing something malicious? You say you already do that.

However, be aware of the old adage: the S in IoT stands for security. The security of IoT devices is miserable. Awful. Non-existent. So, having IoT devices share a network with computers that you care about is drunk driving. Every drunk does not kill a child playing near the road, but the odds change drastically when the driver is drunk.

So, use a Guest network, use a second router, use VLANs. At least some Asus routers can create eight SSIDs. When you need to communicate with an IoT device, switch over to the SSID where it lives. Security always involves an extra hassle.

And, if you trust any apps on Android, you are making a mistake. So so many of them spy on your activities. For example:

https://www.michaelhorowitz.com/WhileYouWereSleeping.php

If you can, look for the Android Private DNS feature and set it up to use NextDNS.

Get up to speed on router security at RouterSecurity.org

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2280222 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Good details. My router (Cisco RV345) does support VLANs and my WAP (Cisco CBW240AC) supports mapping a VLAN to an SSID. I’m doing this for VOIP (since I need to isolate the VOIP packets for QoS), Guest Networking (so guests don’t have access to my internal network, and even then it has a password I only give out to guests I know, and I can change it frequently), and for my Security system (since I want my security system on its own SSID).

I did some more digging, and I believe I could map my IoT devices to a different SSID, and as long as they have the same subnet as the rest of the network, video sharing will work across SSIDs. It worked for my network printer which is not only on a different SSID, but a totally different frequency, so there’s hope.

I don’t trust any apps on Android either, even the ones from “trusted” vendors. I know anything Android is a vacuum for data, which is why I primarily use Apple devices. Even then I have extra protection (Little Snitch to watch all outbound traffic on Macs), as even apps I’ve paid $$$ for and use at work have trackers in them (sad but true).

Nathan Parker

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Antimalware on Fire TV and Android TV?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.