News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Any Good FREE AV's out there for WIN 7?

Posted on Nibbled To Death By Ducks Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Any Good FREE AV's out there for WIN 7?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  deanwmn 1 week ago.

• Author

With EOL Win 7 coming up, does anyone have a decent FREE AV going past EOL.  On a tight budget, and Avast/AVG (same company) has been getting some bad press lately…

Thanks in advance!

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Wait for the all-clear", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
      --
      "...All the people, all the time..." (Peter Ustinov ad-lib from "Logan's Run")

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1927141 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Panda AV have a free version. Not sure of the limitations.
      https://www.pandasecurity.com/uk/homeusers/solutions/free-antivirus/

cheers, Paul

p.s. I use Panda, not the free version.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1927190 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Kaspersky has a free version with limited settings.

• #1927262 Reply

Sinclair
      AskWoody Lounger

I would stick with Avast as they still have one of the best AV that works well under Windows 7. The recent bad press has been a lot of old news and hype for attention grabbing headlines. The newly claimed https scanning has not materialized and looks so far to be a feature from five years ago. That was well documented at the time it was added and has an off switch.

If you know Avast and understand how to work the menus and settings then its perfectly usable.

With Avast you know they have a habit of adding new modules and settings with every new update. Their earnings model realize on getting and selling user data. But you can dial that back and opt out on a lot of that in the settings. You just have to keep an eye out for it.

As with any other AV. Sometimes Windows updates, browser updates or updates to the AV itself can interact badly with the AV software. What is meant to keep your system safe and healthy then destroys it. This is always a risk when using an AV but given the complexity of it all hardly surprising.

Alternatively you could use Windows own Anti Virus Windows Defender as this is not bad either.

W7 x64 Pro&Home

• #1927489 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

I use BitDefender Free. Very little impact on the system.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1944783 Reply

TonyS
        AskWoody Plus

I use BitDefender Free. Very little impact on the system.

I agree. Avast has got too large and unwieldy for me. I also run Malwarebytes Pro

Win10 1903 Pro, MBAM 3 Premium, PaleMoon, OpenOffice, Sumatra PDF.
    • #1928646 Reply

DrBonzo
      AskWoody Plus

I use Avira Free on a couple of MACs. I like it a lot. It’s been a couple of years since I checked performance reviews but at the time it did very well. The free version claims it can’t scan usb drives, but a couple nights ago it scanned a usb hard drive I use for Time Machine backups on an iMAC.

There is a free version of it for Windows, although I’ve never used it on Windows.

Also, someone above suggested using Windows Defender, but bear in mind that when Win 7 EOL comes, Defender (or Security Essentials or whatever it’s called now) may not work and/or may not get definition upgrades. That’s what happened when my Vista laptop hit EOL – no more definition updates.

• #1928717 Reply

geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

Microsoft Security Essentials and it’s likely to cease definition updates thereby adding insult to injury.

Group G{ot backup} TestBeta
        Win7Pro · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · RAM 8GB · Firefox: uBlock Origin - NoScript · HDD · Canon Printer · Microsoft Security Essentials · Windows: Backup - System Image - Rescue Disk - Firewall
        • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  geekdom.
    • #1929430 Reply

anonymous

Hi NTDBD “Nibbled”, I have had good luck with AVG since the 1990’s. It is not a good as it was 10 years ago as it is more intrusive, less user options, and more telemetry but I think I have a handle on that. See my post here: https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/avg-free-upgrade-in-2019/

Not all the bells/whistles and kitchen sink needs to be installed. If you have a 3rd party firewall you can block all the outbound telemetry and snoopyness too, and still get the definition updates.

Try not to use a one program does all since those are the ones that break your internet or email program. Norton, McAfee, Panda, were the ones that broke our users emails years ago.

Having web and email scanning is what breaks those aspects of the computer. Yes I know, “it has worked years for us” is what we hear when they are broken and an uninstall of Norton (symantec) would fix them. Most moved over to AVG and were happy.

NoelC has a real issue with Avast. https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/is-your-ccleaner-safe-new-evidence-suggests-maybe-not/#post-133725

For mom and pop, Microsoft Security Essentials (now called Defender) is just fine.

• #1930771 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Plus

Hi Nibbled,

I used a paid version of Panda. Their free version provides extremely good protection and it includes a really good firewall. Another nice thing about Panda is that it was never affected by the patches for Meltdown, and it was never affected by any of the more recent Windows updates which have caused problems for many other AV vendors. Here is the direct download link:

https://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/homeusers/solutions/free-antivirus/

Best regards,

–GTP

• #1932773 Reply

DaveYVR
      AskWoody Lounger

I would like to note that panda free was a great option for a couple years. Unfortunately on their free version they have recently become very aggressive on the pop-ups near my system tray. I usually end up having to clear almost half a dozen when I come back to my computer.

Avast has gone in the reverse direction. They are not as aggressive with messages, and they seem to have disable by default some features that would muck up your system restore points if enabled.  So I may gravitate back to Avast. However, I have learned recently that their free version collects data from you. But for myself, that isn’t a huge concern and I can live with it if it means less pop ups.

Cheers,

Dave

• #1932904 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

It is easy to turn off the popup notifications in the free version of Panda.

• #1933038 Reply

DaveYVR
          AskWoody Lounger

I will assume you mean this:

Delete-after-posting2

Gets rid of this:

Delete-after-posting-1

I have disabled them and will see what happens. I didn’t even think to try and disable anything like this since it has been the practice of companies in the past to use these as non-negotiable revenue generating streams. Thanks for the tip.

Attachments:
    • #1932862 Reply

tonyl
      AskWoody Lounger
      1. Another good thing about Avast! is they won’t abandon you for some time yet. The program might stop getting updates after a year or two, but the definitions won’t.
    • #1934384 Reply

Larry B
      AskWoody Lounger

Too many false positives with Panda Dome.  I went with Kaspersky free version.  You do get popups offering you to use their servers for VPN, but limits the amount of free traffic.  I just decline.

• #1944834 Reply

anonymous

ClamAV

• #1945008 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Plus

I use Panda Dome on all of my computers. As a sanity check to make sure that Panda hasn’t missed anything, I manually run the free version of Malwarebytes from time to time.

• #1945401 Reply

deanwmn
      AskWoody Plus

I used Malwarebytes free version for years and rarely, if ever, had a problem (I phrased it that way because I don’t REMEMBER having a problem!).  I still use it but now I pay for it just to have a few added features. I still think it’s the best.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  deanwmn.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Any Good FREE AV's out there for WIN 7?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.